Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My IoT devices can't see the Orbi 2 Ghz band

richmitch
Aspirant

My IoT devices can't see the Orbi 2 Ghz band

Hi, seems I have a problem faced by many others.  I have multiple IoT devices (fans, aircon, solar) that can only "see" 2 Ghz wifi bands.  My fan app on my phone says that it needs 802.11b whereas the 2 Ghz band on my Orbi is reporting 802.11 (see attached image)

On my previous router these IoT devices all connected to a separate 2 Ghz band I set up to keep things separate (also on image below)  None of them can see the Orbi 2 Ghz band now.  The 2 Ghz band on my previous network shows 802.11n

It seems strange to me that the 2 Ghz band on the Orbi is only reporting 802.11, is that normal?  And should the devices that require 802.11b be able to see it?

Hardware: RBR750

Firmware: V4.6.5.14_2.0.54

2 Ghz channel: Auto (13)

2 GHz spec: 802.11

wifi.png

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
richmitch
Aspirant

Re: My IoT devices can't see the Orbi 2 Ghz band

Thanks @CrimpOn that did the trick on my fans, now to test the rest.  I didn't know that legislation in the US so hadn't even considered that may be an issue.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
richmitch
Aspirant

A few further details, should they be helpful... everything is pretty much as it came out of the box

Advanced Wireless Settings (2.4Ghz b/g/n/ax)

Enable 20/40 Mhz coexistence is checked

Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (2.4Ghzb/g/n/ax) is checked

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@richmitch wrote:

Hi, seems I have a problem faced by many others.  I have multiple IoT devices (fans, aircon, solar) that can only "see" 2 Ghz wifi bands.  My fan app on my phone says that it needs 802.11b whereas the 2 Ghz band on my Orbi is reporting 802.11 (see attached image)

Like most residential WiFi systems, Orbi has 802.11b/g/n (b being the oldest surviving standard)

All of the IoT devices can "see" the Orbi as long as it is broadcasting on a 2.4G channel that they are designed to see.

Channels 12 and 13 are not allowed in North America, so many products are designed to recognize only channels 1-11.

I'd suggest changing the 2.4G setting from "Auto" to the least crowded channel 1-11.

Message 3 of 9
richmitch
Aspirant

Thanks @CrimpOn that did the trick on my fans, now to test the rest.  I didn't know that legislation in the US so hadn't even considered that may be an issue.

Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

In the US, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulates radio frequencies.  There are similar governmental agencies in most countries.  Creating products that can be used world wide is somewhat of a challenge.  There's an excellent Wikipedia artlcle on WiFi:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels 

Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@richmitch wrote:

Hi, seems I have a problem faced by many others.

And here again, the problems are always the same ... 99.9% not Orbi AX related.

@richmitch wrote:

I have multiple IoT devices (fans, aircon, solar) that can only "see" 2 Ghz wifi bands.

Again, that's perfectly fine - 2.4 GHz WiFi clients don't care about the existence of 5 GHz or 6 GHz access point. Your FM radio does not care about SW or DAB, too - it continues to work with the FM band. 

@richmitch wrote:

My fan app on my phone says that it needs 802.11b ...

Typical discovery app issue: It's expecting your mobile being connected to a 2.4 GHz band - despite all the same network names here are connecting to the very same network. If it does not allow to skip this requirement/check: Complain with the Fan App maker to bring thier s**t into the 21st century. Explain them an SSID defines the network connection, not a specific band. And yes, also the Orbi 6 with it's 802.11ax 2.4 GHz does support the "lower" standards on 2.4 GHz, like 802.11n (that was the highest over one decade - it's from 2009!) and 802.11b - fully backward compatible.

@richmitch wrote:

... whereas the 2 Ghz band on my Orbi is reporting 802.11 (see attached image)
It seems strange to me that the 2 Ghz band on the Orbi is only reporting 802.11, is that normal?

Looks like the test application does not know abut 802.11ax, or the test system does not support 802.11ax ... the test application recognizes ist as a 802.11 thing, but can't fully identify it. I'd state this is normal.

@richmitch wrote:

On my previous router these IoT devices all connected to a separate 2 Ghz band I set up to keep things separate (also on image below)  

802.11n was the highest 802.11 variant supported on 2.4 GHz before 802.11ax was added on top. 802.11g is 5 GHz only.

Certain IoT require not just their discovery and configuration crApps updated, but also the drivers on the wireless adapters ... happened also to Intel and Broadcom for many legacy adapters when 802.11ax was introduced.

@richmitch wrote:

None of them can see the Orbi 2 Ghz band now.  The 2 Ghz band on my previous network shows 802.11n

Talking of a IoT configured for the Orbi network name, security and passphrase - or again of some crappy discovery Apps insisting to be connected to a 2.4 GHz radio? For those with the poor drivers, there is an option to disable 802.11ax on the Orbi 6 2.4 GHz radios. Needless to say, this kills the 802.11ax capability for WiFi 6 devices on 2.4 GHz.

A possible "hack" is to configure your old router to the Orbi AX SSID and the same security and passphrase, temporarely shutdown the Orbi AX, and re-configure all IoT.

And the legislation thing with the channels 12 and 13 was partially answered by @CrimpOn - here again, the customer in Australia or Europe can expect the IoT stuff does work on all the legal channels.

Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

see posst #3 #4

Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@CrimpOn wrote:

see posst #3 #4

I'm overly happy it's "just" abut the lack of support (I assume the OP is located in Australia) of the channels 12 and 13 on the IoT! But again, unless these are direct imports from the FCC regulatory market, it's the IoT makers repsonability to have their IoT workable acording to the local legislation.

Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

@richmitch wrote:

On my previous router these IoT devices all connected to a separate 2 Ghz band I set up to keep things separate (also on image below)  

802.11n was the highest 802.11 variant supported on 2.4 GHz before 802.11ax was added on top. 802.11g is 5 GHz only.

Correction (thak you @CrimpOn for your heads-up!):

802.11n was the highest 802.11 variant supported on 2.4 GHz before 802.11ax was added on top. 802.11ac is 5 GHz only.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7