Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My admin password stopped working

switters
Apprentice

My admin password stopped working

Starting about 5 days ago I can't login to my router using the Orbi app. I didn't change my password—it just stopped working.

I've searched online for how to recover/reset the admin password. This article on Negear's website suggests going to http://orbilogin.com from a browser. A login window is supposed to pop up, and then step 2 is that I should click "cancel". 

First of all, when I go to orbilogin.com I don't see a login window; I see a popup window asking me to enable smart parent controls on my router. It seems I am already logged in. When I click "logout", I'm taken to a screen that says "thank you for using the Netgear web-based router configuration utility. Goodbye." and there is no option to login again.

If I then try to log in again, I get a "this site can't be reached. oribilogin.com refused to connect" error message in my browser. Or, it just logs me in again (without prompting me for my password). 

Any ideas? 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
switters
Apprentice

Update. I restarted the Orbi router and now I am able to log in to the app. I didn't have to reset or change my password.

When in doubt, restart!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

What this looks like (to me) is that the Orbi was set up using the Orbi "app" and this is the first time you have attempted to use the Orbi web interface.  Seems like it thinks you want to set up the Orbi from scratch, and (by implication) the web administrative password was never set.

I would try again and instead of leaving that web page, turn down the opportunity to set up parental controls (Disney Circle) and see if you can get further into the configuration.

Message 2 of 6
switters
Apprentice

Thanks. I was able to get into the interface a couple of times. I got to a screen where you can reset the password, but the current password is required to do that, and that's the one that isn't working. 

Now, I'm trying to get back into the interface and it keeps giving me 500 Internal Server errors. I see the menu of options (Home, Internet, Wireless, Attached Devices, etc.) on the left, but then there's just a spinning gear and "Please wait a moment" in the main area of the screen. 

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 Alas, if the current password is not accepted (three times in a row) and the Password Recovery option that pops up (after three tries) also fails, the ONLY way to create a new password is to do a Factory Reset.  (a pain in a "rear part of the anatomy")

Message 4 of 6
switters
Apprentice

Update. I restarted the Orbi router and now I am able to log in to the app. I didn't have to reset or change my password.

When in doubt, restart!

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

You are "da Man!"  Old Fart advice is sometimes worse than no advice at all.  Stay Safe!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7