Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My laptop can't connect for manual firmware upgrade for my Orbi RBR50

KenJB
Aspirant

My laptop can't connect for manual firmware upgrade for my Orbi RBR50

Today I got a message that a firmware update should be installed. My understanding, from reading the instructions for manually updating, that my computer must be connected to the RBR50 with an ethernet cable. My laptop doesn't have ethernet capability. How do I upgrade?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@KenJB wrote:

Today I got a message that a firmware update should be installed. My understanding, from reading the instructions for manually updating, that my computer must be connected to the RBR50 with an ethernet cable. My laptop doesn't have ethernet capability. How do I upgrade?

Firmware update can be done using a laptop that is connected over WiFi. Most of us "old timers" feel more comfortable with a wired connection, but it is not required.  Now that laptops are no longer coming with ethernet jacks, I paid $12 to buy an ethernet to USB converter (Amazon).

This forum has LOTS of posts about firmware updates.  One common feeling is that if a firmware update is really required, then the Orbi Advanced Tab, Administration, Firmware Update menu should be able to do it.  A manual firmware update should not be required.

(There are plenty of people who search out the "latest" firmware and want to install it when the automatic method does not find it, but's definitely not a message from Netgear.)

Please at least browse some of the firmware update posts for the version that Netgear says you should update to before messing with the Orbi.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@KenJB wrote:

Firmware update can be done using a laptop that is connected over WiFi. Most of us "old timers" feel more comfortable with a wired connection, but it is not required.  Now that laptops are no longer coming with ethernet jacks, I paid $12 to buy an ethernet to USB converter (Amazon).

This forum has LOTS of posts about firmware updates.  One common feeling is that if a firmware update is really required, then the Orbi Advanced Tab, Administration, Firmware Update menu should be able to do it.  A manual firmware update should not be required.

(There are plenty of people who search out the "latest" firmware and want to install it when the automatic method does not find it, but's definitely not a message from Netgear.)

Please at least browse some of the firmware update posts for the version that Netgear says you should update to before messing with the Orbi.

Message 2 of 7
esb2b
Guide

Mine gave me grief until I just typed in http://10.0.0.1 which gave me the correct page where I entered as admin with my password.
Message 3 of 7
KenJB
Aspirant

Thanks, you made a lot of sense. 

On the other hand Netgear seems not to make sense. Today's email message from Netgear says this update is important. This is what it said: 

"We've Enhanced Your Product's Security.
Please Update to the Latest Firmware.
Your product has the following updates available:

RBR50
Learn how to update here
Use the Orbi App to update your firmware" (My emphasis).

We are told in the email that the Orbi App will update the firmware. It does not.

According of my App my Orbi firmware  is up to date. It is not,

It's a shame that Netgear makes such good hardware and such an incoherent and unnecessarily complex process. 

Message 4 of 7
KenJB
Aspirant

Hi - Sorry to bother you again. Yesterday you wrote:  "Firmware update can be done using a laptop that is connected over WiFi."  Can you tell me how? My attempts to do this with the App gives me an annswer that my firmware is up to date which is not the case.

Thanks,

Ken

Message 5 of 7
KenJB
Aspirant

I belatedly checked one of your recommended links. One of the answers said that an automatic update will happen at some point. If that's the case I'll be a happy camper. I'll buy a USB-ethernet adapter just in case. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You can manually download FW files from NG support site:

https://www.netgear.com/support/

Then use the RBR or RBS web page to send the FW file using there web pages using a web browser:

Manualupdate.png

@KenJB wrote:

Hi - Sorry to bother you again. Yesterday you wrote:  "Firmware update can be done using a laptop that is connected over WiFi."  Can you tell me how? My attempts to do this with the App gives me an annswer that my firmware is up to date which is not the case.

Thanks,

Ken

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7