Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need 2.4ghz backhaul but want to use my orbi rbk 50 - orbi as A/P and still use satellite?

ken800
Aspirant

Need 2.4ghz backhaul but want to use my orbi rbk 50 - orbi as A/P and still use satellite?

I have an RBK 50 and satellite setup.  I live out in the woods and my only internet option as a 50' line of sight tower.  It is ugly as sin so I have it over behind the barn and the feed from the dish goes into the barn and plugs into my router.  The router has to send a signal to the satellite that is approximately 150'.  The barn is metal, house is thick stone veneer.  Needless to say, my backhaul is poor.

I have 3 devices in my home that are 2.4ghz only and I need that frequency for those devices.  To cover that distance, 2.4ghz is much more effective at penetrating the metal/stone and carrying the signal farther.  Every router combo I have tried, however, "dedicates" the 2.4ghz for backhaul and leaves me with only 5ghz in the house stranding some of my smart devices.

My options appear 3-fold:

-Some kind of dual router option (pair of same kind realistically) that backhauls at 2.4 and still provides a 2.4 and 5 ghz in the house.

-Use my orbi router as an A/P and connect via 2.4 (is this possible?)  I have decent linksys in the garage.  If I do this, will my orbi satellite still give me a 2.4 and 5 ghz signal?

-Get rid of the orbi setup and go back to my dual linksys routers and get some kind of wifi range extender that will connect to the house router at 5 ghz and either split that into a 2.4 and 5 or just convert it to 2.4 since everything can do that.

Note that speed is of zero concern.  I can only get about 18Mbit out here and I just want to make sure I get and can use it all...

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Need 2.4ghz backhaul but want to use my orbi rbk 50 - orbi as A/P and still use satellite?

Yes the AP mode would work better. This would be just a stand alone wireless AP in AP mode that broadcasts both 2.4 and 5Ghz. 

There is no wifi mesh system that wirelessly backhauls 2.4Ghz. They all do 5Ghz backhauls. 

Your best option would be burried CAT6A LAN cable between the house and barn. 

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Need 2.4ghz backhaul but want to use my orbi rbk 50 - orbi as A/P and still use satellite?

Or you could get a point to point system. They allow much further broadcast of wifi and you'll be able to run the cabling into the house to avoid having to penetrate through the steel/veneer. 

Message 3 of 6
ken800
Aspirant

Thanks all.  I think I may just bury a cable and the problem is sovled.  I can return my Orbi as my house is small and use my current Linksys router which is a higher end model anyway.

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

It might be useful to make a cost comparison between burying 150' of ethernet cable and deploying an ethernet bridge.  Direct burial cable will cost about $100.  Then there is the cost & complexity of burying it and keeping it from being disturbed.  A pair of outdoor wireless bridges runs from $50 to $200 depending on brand and speed.  And, of course, if an electrical circuit or coax runs between the two buildings, there are other options.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7