Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need help connecting ethernet cable from Orbi to docking station

AnnieGirl13
Follower

Need help connecting ethernet cable from Orbi to docking station

Hello, all:

Need you help. Pls use laymen's terms... not tech-savvy at all. We have an Orbi Sattelite RBS20 (option not available on drop down for Model). 

We have one of the Orbi's connected via ethernet to a modem in back room. Connected wirelessly to another Orbi device in living. What I am trying to do is connect an ethernet cable to the living room Orbi to docking station in my home office. I'm using a Dell Display link to connect my two Dell Monitors to my Dell laptop. Issue  is no internet. I've read in past posts that all I had to do was connect ethernet cable from Orbi to device and I should be good to go. However, that isn't working. No internet and thus my monitors won't turn on. Did I miss a step? Was I supposed to re-set the Orbi device I'm plugged into? Please help me! Thanks..

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

The RBS satellilte needs to be connected to the Orbi RBR 

The configuration should look like this:

ISP Modem>Orbi RBR<>RBS connected to RBR either wire LAN cable or wirelessly connected to the RBR<Then you can connect a LAN cable to the back of the RBS for devices to connect here if needed. 

If you connect the RBS wired to the RBR, heres some pictures of how it should be connected:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@AnnieGirl13 wrote:

I'm using a Dell Display link to connect my two Dell Monitors to my Dell laptop. Issue  is no internet. I've read in past posts that all I had to do was connect ethernet cable from Orbi to device and I should be good to go. However, that isn't working

Just to confirm.  This is your Orbi product: https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBS20.pdf 

If so, then "Yes, an ethernet device can be connected to either of the ethernet jacks on the back of the Orbi."

I suspect the issue has more to do with the Display Link than with the Orbi.  Can you give us the specific Dell model number?  You used the terms "docking station" and "Display Link".  These are separate devices? (or, the same device?)

Message 3 of 5
Ken2122
Tutor

I am probably not understanding your question/set-up but:  For troubleshooting purposes, if you were to isolate the docking station and only connect the Ethernet cable from your laptops Ethernet port  to the Orbi satellite Ethernet port, do you then have Internet connectivity?

The only reason why I ask is that I have a Orbi satellite located in my 2nd floor office. Initially, I was connecting my laptop to the satellite, wirelessly. However, I decided to connect my laptop to the satellite via Ethernet. I found that I had to go into my my laptops Window 10 settings (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center) and select the 'Change adapter settings'.  I then had to select (right-click the mouse) the WiFi adapter icon and select 'disconnect'. In then had to go to the Ethernet icon, right-click the mouse and select 'connect'. If memory serves me, I had to then re-boot my laptop as well as push the 'Sync' button on the back of the Orbi satellite. I was then connected via Ethernet. See screenshot here

If you are able to connect your laptop to the Orbi satellite via ethernet (not using the dock), then perhaps the problem is with the docking station.(may need to change network settings for the dock?)

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

This is an interesting observation.  Most of my computers with both ethernet and WiFi are "automatic".  If ethernet is connected, they automatically drop the WiFi and switch to ethernet.  I had not considered that the computer might require intervention to make the switch.  Will keep that in mind in the future.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7