Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need some advise on Home Network

Jasonnkh
Aspirant

Need some advise on Home Network

Hi Expert!

I need some advise before i could setup my new house network, i actually brought 1 x Orbi Router & 1 x Satellites, i feel it won't be secure if i didn't buy a firewall hardware to protect for my home network as i still have some other devices to connect example Network Storage, printer and wireless.

Question

#1. i am actually looking into Netgear ProSAFE FVS318G, but i do heard there are some features being removed and also no longer support, what would you recommend?

#2.  I am actually not really familiar with the network, can i ask how could i connect my firewall hardware to home network? because i don't intend to buy a switch, below are the step i have to do but not sure is it correct?

Fibre router port --> firewall port --> Orbi Router & satellites --> Desktop hub --> to the rest of the network point?

Much appeciated if anyone can advise on this.

Thank you

Best Regards

Jason 

Model: ProSafe Plus Utility|Network Management Software
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Need some advise on Home Network

If this the product that Netgear discontinued in 2017? https://www.netgear.com/support/product/FVS318G.aspx 

Orbi already includes a firewall. Connections from the internet are totally blocked unless the user creates a specific exemption for a specfic purpose.  This is similar to Windows Firewall.  We have a lot of paranoid (oops, sorry, "careful") people on the forum, and none of them talk about putting a firewall in front of the Orbi.

But, yes, if the purpose is to protect the Orbi and everything behind it, then the firewall has to go "in front".

Bear in mind that having multiple "routers" back-go-back creates all sorts of problems down the road.  (Google "Double-NAT")  Generally, the advise is to have only ONE router.  If it's ahead of the Orbi, then put the Orbi into Access Point mode and give up any Orbi routing functions.

I doubt this is what you were looking for.  Sorry.

Message 2 of 4

@Jasonnkh wrote:

..i feel it won't be secure if i didn't buy a firewall hardware to protect for my home network as i still have some other devices to connect example Network Storage, printer and wireless.

Any particular reasons why you think this?

Have you read a horror story somewhere?

Most of the world happily survives on their router's firewall, decent software and not doing stupid things when on line.

Message 3 of 4
Jasonnkh
Aspirant

Hi CrimpOn Master,

Really appreciated for the useful advised, yes I agree with you router itself is a firewall, but my concern is my network storage, cos I don't want any outsider to access in and view all my photo and file and wipe off it's more like piracy. so it is more common that ppl put firewall devices to the last? Anyway the firewall model I mentioned earlier on they closed the services and support for prosafe but outside still selling.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7