Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need to EXTEND MoCA signal wirelessly

mfbakerjr
Follower

Need to EXTEND MoCA signal wirelessly

I have an Orbi extender both inside and an all weather Orbi extender used outside my home and my signal is terrific. I am wrestling with the technological issue of trying to wirelessly extend my MoCA signal from my Xfinity X1 gateway to my outdoor wireless cable box. Is there a product that Netgear sells that will allow me to extend the MoCA signal? 

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Need to EXTEND MoCA signal wirelessly

You might get more helpful responses if you provide more description about what you want to do.  In this forum, people do not usually refer to Orbi products as "extenders", so it is not entirely clear what you are describing.  When I Google "Xfinity X1 Gateway", for example, I do not see a reference to MoCA, which refers to transmitting ethernet over a coax cable.  (That's how I had my Tivo and Tivo Mini connected at one time.)  And, "wireless cable box" seems to imply WiFi, rather than MoCA.  Maybe a diagram and specific model numbers? 

Message 2 of 4
randomousity
Luminary

I don't know that this is possible. MoCA is multimedia over coax alliance, which kind of, by definition, means it's not wireless. But, as @CrimpOn asked, what is it you're trying to do?

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Another suggestion would be to connect the wireless cable box via a wireless bridge if this remote cable box has a lan port in back. If the distance is too far, you may need to close the distance between the X1 and the remote wireless cable box if the box is required to connect to the X1 gatway. I recommend you contact the ISP and ask for help in regards to this cable box and your needs. 

If your using Orbi with the Gateway:

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Good Luck. 

@mfbakerjr wrote:

I have an Orbi extender both inside and an all weather Orbi extender used outside my home and my signal is terrific. I am wrestling with the technological issue of trying to wirelessly extend my MoCA signal from my Xfinity X1 gateway to my outdoor wireless cable box. Is there a product that Netgear sells that will allow me to extend the MoCA signal? 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7