Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and/or Netgear Orbi

aruit
Guide

Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and/or Netgear Orbi

I have currently a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router after my UPC Technicolor modem, and use all 4 ethernet ports.

Because of the place of the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 the wifi is very stable on the ground floor, but unreliable on the first floor.

So I have tried to solve this with a Devolo Powerline 500 wifi, between the ground and the first floor, but also this is stil unreliable.

Can I use the Netgear Orbi instead of the Devolo Powerline or does the Orbi router replace also the Nighthawk R7000?
Should I replace the Nighthawk R7000 by the Orbi or chose another multiroom solution instead of the Orbi, for example the Sitecom Huddle?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
aruit
Guide

I have looked on the page "How do I configure my Orbi router to act as an access point?"

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31218/~/how-do-i-configure-my-orbi-router-to-act-as-an...

Orbi access point.jpg

In above picture on this webpage is only one Orbi as access point, but does this also work with two or more Orbi's, where the first is connected to the router and the second, third, etc. elsewhere in the house (below picture). So that the Orbi's replace the Powerline?

Orbi1+2.jpg 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies

hi

at the current time im actuall using the orbi in ap mode with my asus rt-ac88u with its wifi trurned off , this way i get the best in router function and the best in wifi with the orbi system in ap mode

Message 2 of 5
aruit
Guide

I have looked on the page "How do I configure my Orbi router to act as an access point?"

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31218/~/how-do-i-configure-my-orbi-router-to-act-as-an...

Orbi access point.jpg

In above picture on this webpage is only one Orbi as access point, but does this also work with two or more Orbi's, where the first is connected to the router and the second, third, etc. elsewhere in the house (below picture). So that the Orbi's replace the Powerline?

Orbi1+2.jpg 

Message 3 of 5
rhester72
Virtuoso

@aruit: Yes, that's exactly what I've configured in my two-story home (and for the same reason - the wireless backhaul is surprisingly both faster and more reliable than gigabit Powerline was!).

Rodney

Message 4 of 5
aruit
Guide

I have received my Orbi untis and it is working great!

Much better than the PowerLine.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7