Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Orbi 23 App and installation issues

Sven1960
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi 23 App and installation issues

Hi,

I am no tech nerd, just a guy who wants faster internet. I bought the Orbi 23, but have difficulties installing the mesh system. I will try to explain my problems:

1. The Sagemcom modem/router provded by my cable company did not work well. I disabled the router function, made Orbi my new network and tried to connect the modem and the new Orbi router.

2. I am supposed to use the Internet LAN ports on the modem and the Orbi router. When I do, I loose the wifi connection. If I use the cable provided and connect using the LAN ethernet ports, I have wifi, much faster than before. At least in my living room, where the modem and router is located.

3. Upstairs and in the basement, where I have put the satellites, Internet speed is around 40 % of the speed in the living room. I am uncertain whether the satellites work. The white light pulsates and dies, without having turned to blue or magenta.

4. I am also unable to connect the Orbi app with my Orbi network. It keeps telling it has issues connecting. I have tried several times and I have reinstalled the app twice. I have no idea what else to do.

To sum it up:

• Why does it not work, when I use the Internet ports on modem and router?
  • Are the satellites connected, when I use the ethernet ports on modem and router?
  • How can I get the app to work, instead of hiccuping that it keeps having issues?

Grateful for any help and explanations that are easy to understand.

Best

Sven

Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Just to be clear: the yellow (WAN) port on the Orbi is connected to one of the LAN ports on the Sagecom, correct?  The remaining Sagecom LAN ports are not used.

When the Orbi is powered up, you should see a WiFi network with the SSID (name) that is printed on the label on the bottom of the Orbi router.  Can you connect to that WiFi network using the password printed on the label?  Then, open a web browser and connect to: http://orbilogin.net

OK?

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Sven1960 wrote:

Hi,

I am no tech nerd, just a guy who wants faster internet. I bought the Orbi 23, but have difficulties installing the mesh system. I will try to explain my problems:

1. The Sagemcom modem/router provded by my cable company did not work well. I disabled the router function, made Orbi my new network and tried to connect the modem and the new Orbi router.

2. I am supposed to use the Internet LAN ports on the modem and the Orbi router. When I do, I loose the wifi connection. If I use the cable provided and connect using the LAN ethernet ports, I have wifi, much faster than before. At least in my living room, where the modem and router is located.

3. Upstairs and in the basement, where I have put the satellites, Internet speed is around 40 % of the speed in the living room. I am uncertain whether the satellites work. The white light pulsates and dies, without having turned to blue or magenta.

4. I am also unable to connect the Orbi app with my Orbi network. It keeps telling it has issues connecting. I have tried several times and I have reinstalled the app twice. I have no idea what else to do.

To sum it up:

• Why does it not work, when I use the Internet ports on modem and router?
  • Are the satellites connected, when I use the ethernet ports on modem and router?
  • How can I get the app to work, instead of hiccuping that it keeps having issues?

Grateful for any help and explanations that are easy to understand.

Best

Sven

Message 3 of 11
Sven1960
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for replying.

1. No, the yellow (WAN) port of the Orbi is not connected to the LAN port on the modem. When I do that, I loose Internet (wifi connection). That's why I'm using the Ethernet ports.

2. I use one of the remaining three LAN ports on the modem for connecting with my house alarm.

3. I am connected to the Orbi network (by Ethernet). I am, however, uncertain whether the satellites work.

A follow up wil be greatly appreciated, CrimpOn!

Message 4 of 11
Sven1960
Aspirant

Thanks, FURRYe38 for replying. I will try to clarify.

I live om three floors in an old brownstone from 1920. Each floor is around 60 sq. meters, or 645 sq. feet. Modem and router in in the living room on the ground floor, my stationary Mac is upstairs. I also have someone living at the bottom floor. Most walls are brick.

All my neighbors have wifi. We are in a row with four brownstones, there are other apartments across the street.

The distance between router and satellites (through the floors) is around 25 feet.

I believe the channel settings is auto. I have a cable TV/broadband provider that offer 2,4 and 5 Ghz and I thought I moved seamlessly between them. I have no idea how to set those manually.

I am sorry, I am totally bewildered by Beamforming, MIMO, Armor, Circle, Daisy chain. You completely lost me.

No, no factory reset and set up from scratch has been performed. You ask about firmware, I am uncertain what you mean. I am just a regular browsing and e-mail guy with a Mac, nothing more advanced.

I did not understand that about Modem combo units, but will look it up.

You write as your first option, configure the modem for modem only mode. I believe I did that when I turned off the router function on the Sagemcom. I am connected to the Orbit network and the Orbit router is definetely the one I am using, as it is much faster than the old Sagemcom router.

I have no wifi radios on the modem, as far as I know. Well, my cable provider offers them, but I have never listened.

My challenge is not being able to use the Internet port on the Orbi router (I use the Ethernet to stay connected) and the uncertainty whether the satellites work, when I use the Ethernet port. I also have trouble with the app, as I first described.

Thanks for trying to help, sorry to be tech stupid. But I thought the Orbi set-up was supposed to be easy. Isn't that why they don't give you a manual, just an app where you can't get past a hinder once it pops up?

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

The yellow (WAN) Orbi port is supposed to be connected to the modem.  If more than one modem ethernet port is active, then I suspect it is not "out of router mode."  Would you consider this:

• Put the modem back in its factory state.  There's probably a "reset"  hole on it somewhere like there is on the Orbi.
  • Power off the Orbi
  • Connect the Orbi yellow (WAN) port to the modem.
  • Power on the Orbi
  • The Orbi should come up with the same WiFi name (SSID) and password as it had before.
  • There should be internet.

Thousands of Orbi customers connect the Orbi directly to their cable modem and "get on with life".  It sounds like this should work for you as well.

HOWEVER, please be aware that having one "router" connected to another "router" creates what is called a "Double NAT" condition.  The first router has a public IP address.  All of the devices behind the router, e.g. everything connected to its four ethernet ports get a private IP address.  The router does Network Address Translation (NAT) so that the devices can connect to the internet and receive responses. When the Orbi is one of those devices, the Orbi also does NAT for everything connected behind it.  Everything behind the Orbi gets a different private address from the Orbi.  This works fine UNTIL you want to do something like "forward a port" to a web server or something, to open a VPN so that you can access your computers when away, or some types of internet gaming.  Then, having a Double NAT makes those things impossible.

I went over a year with a Double NAT and never even knew.  The day I tried to create a VPN server, I came to this forum and learned why it wasn't working for me.  I changed to a "plain modem" (no router, no WiFi.  only a modem) and have been happy ever since.

Please give it a try.

Message 6 of 11
Sven1960
Aspirant

Dear CrimpOn

I have basically followed your suggestions, starting with resetting the modem, turning on and off the Orbi, deleting and reinstalling the App. There has been a few hiccups on the way, but lo and behold: I now have high speed Internet using the correct ports.

What made the difference, I really don't know. Whether I have Double NAT issues, I don't know either. But for the moment, this works for me. Thank you so much for all your kind assistance.

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working better. 

Sounds like using the WAN port on the RBR with the modem is one problem fixed. 

Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@Sven1960 wrote:

What made the difference, I really don't know. Whether I have Double NAT issues, I don't know either. But for the moment, this works for me. Thank you so much for all your kind assistance.

Oh, you definitely have a "Double NAT".  My feeling is that many Orbi customers have one because they simply plugged the Orbi into their existing ISP router.  Many of them did not even disable the WiFi on the ISP router.  "Life is Good", until it isn't.  If you read about Double NAT, there are very specific situations which simply cannot work with a Double NAT.  As I said, my Orbi worked fine that way for over a year until I wanted to do something "unusual."

Message 9 of 11
Sven1960
Aspirant

You are probably correct, as far as my double NAT. But for now, there is nothing unusual I want to do. At least I have disabled the wifi on the ISP router (my Sagemcom). If ever I want to do something unusual, I am aware of the double NAT challenge and can go through the rather complicated procedures of getting rid of the double NAT then. Thanks again.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Try one of the suggestions I mentioned about fixing double NAT and modems with built in routers. Will get you into a single NAT condition. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7