Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Orbi Force Device to 2.4Ghz

ryanjohn04
Guide

Netgear Orbi Force Device to 2.4Ghz

Is there a way to force a device onto 2.4ghz?  I am not getting a good connection with my wifi outdoor cameras.  Shouldn't the Orbi software notice that and drop it from 5ghz to 2.4ghz?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
captain_phaser
Apprentice

Re: Netgear Orbi Force Device to 2.4Ghz

@ryanjohn04 wrote:

Is there a way to force a device onto 2.4ghz?  I am not getting a good connection with my wifi outdoor cameras.  Shouldn't the Orbi software notice that and drop it from 5ghz to 2.4ghz?

Thanks

Unless the device itself has a setting to prefer a specific wireless band, there is no way to force it to connect to 2.4Ghz. The Orbi is supposed to automatically choose the best band for your device, but it does not work reliably in some cases. 

One solution might be if the Orbi allowed users to customize a device's preferred band, regardless of signal quality and speed. Another would be separate SSID's for both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands, but neither of these options are available with the Orbi at this time.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 2 of 4
ryanjohn04
Guide

captain_phaser- Thanks for the reply.  I like the former better simply because it is done via software and keeps the SSID as just one.  Would be an interesting concept and not too difficult to program.  

Message 3 of 4

first check that the 2.4 gig is actually working by connecting a 2.4 gig device to it , also check the camera actually have 2.4 gig and not just 5 gig

you are correct that the orbi should push clients to 2.4 gig if the 5 gig is to low as thats what band steering should do

can you also power cycle the camera and see what it attaches to in the attached device list

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7