Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Orbi RBR20 Connectivity Gaps

Slowboat11
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi RBR20 Connectivity Gaps

Model RBR20, Firmware v2.5.1.16, two satellites. There are frequent gaps in connectivity as evidenced by multiple drops on Zoom calls (where I sometimes see a notice that my connection is unstable), 15-20 second pauses when trying to open a website, and a frozen image on YouTube TV. Comcast says my modem alright on their end, which I tend to believe. I downloaded Network Logger Pro and it does not show any outages. I need help. Please respond to tim@timandclair.com since I'm not sure this site has my email address. Thank you.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
DarkNet
Apprentice

I had the same issue a few months ago when I first replaced my ASUS wifi router with a RBR20 and two RBS20.  I used the RBR20 as just an AP as I wanted to keep my pfSense router/firewall.  I upgraded my home system because the wife and I were both working from home due to covid and she was experiencing drops with the older ASUS.  I brought the RBR20 and RBS20’s onboard and thought it was working but she still had dropouts right in the middle of zoom meetings.  Not good.  The units seemed to experience random rebooting sequences turning magenta or various colors and then would come back up but too late.  The dropout was already devastating to home work flow. 

All is good now and I’ll tell you what I did.  For some reason it seems the units are extremely finicky about the distance between them.  I have a 2800 sqft house and thought I’d spaced the units out adequately but perhaps not.  I had the RBR20 in AP-mode upstairs at one end of the house, one RBS20 upstairs at the other end, and the other RBS20 downstairs in the middle.  Nope, that wasn’t good.   Long story short, I ended up taking the downstairs RBS20 out of commission and even turned down the transmit power on the RBR20 to 75%.  That did it.  Not a single dropout now for months.  I’m leaving well enough alone and not going back to see if the power reduction alone was a fix or if just removing the 2nd satellite would have been successful.  So in summary I’m running a RBR20 in AP mode and (1) RBS20.  That covers the house as well as the back deck and no dropouts anymore.  A larger house may need the other RBS20 but pay attention to the spacing and the transmit power.  At least from my experience those were key factors.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 9
DarkNet
Apprentice

I had the same issue a few months ago when I first replaced my ASUS wifi router with a RBR20 and two RBS20.  I used the RBR20 as just an AP as I wanted to keep my pfSense router/firewall.  I upgraded my home system because the wife and I were both working from home due to covid and she was experiencing drops with the older ASUS.  I brought the RBR20 and RBS20’s onboard and thought it was working but she still had dropouts right in the middle of zoom meetings.  Not good.  The units seemed to experience random rebooting sequences turning magenta or various colors and then would come back up but too late.  The dropout was already devastating to home work flow. 

All is good now and I’ll tell you what I did.  For some reason it seems the units are extremely finicky about the distance between them.  I have a 2800 sqft house and thought I’d spaced the units out adequately but perhaps not.  I had the RBR20 in AP-mode upstairs at one end of the house, one RBS20 upstairs at the other end, and the other RBS20 downstairs in the middle.  Nope, that wasn’t good.   Long story short, I ended up taking the downstairs RBS20 out of commission and even turned down the transmit power on the RBR20 to 75%.  That did it.  Not a single dropout now for months.  I’m leaving well enough alone and not going back to see if the power reduction alone was a fix or if just removing the 2nd satellite would have been successful.  So in summary I’m running a RBR20 in AP mode and (1) RBS20.  That covers the house as well as the back deck and no dropouts anymore.  A larger house may need the other RBS20 but pay attention to the spacing and the transmit power.  At least from my experience those were key factors.

Message 3 of 9
Slowboat11
Aspirant

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions, some of which are beyond my current technical ability. What is not beyond my ability is unplugging one of my sateliites that is too close to one of the others, which I have done. I'll test this configuration over the next few days and return to this thread if that does not work.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

If you need too, you might find some help from a local computer shop, friends, family or nieghbors to help you out. 

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 9
Slowboat11
Aspirant

After disconnecting one of my satellites, I have had two Zoom calls for a total of 2:40 hours with no drops. Problem solved. Thanks for your help.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Now try adding just 1 RBS to the RBR. Be sure the distance it out at 30 feet or more. See if the problem continues. 

@Slowboat11 wrote:

After disconnecting one of my satellites, I have had two Zoom calls for a total of 2:40 hours with no drops. Problem solved. Thanks for your help.

Message 7 of 9
cfusionusa
Aspirant

Hi, I have issues with my RBR20 performance. I have a town home 2800sqft, 3 levels. RBR20 in the basement and satellite on each floor above. I get 5-600mbps sitting next to router in wiffii. Hardwire is 950mbps. On the two other floors above i only get 250-300 mbps if i am lucky. Called tech support many times, many hrs, many settings and reboots later. They send me a new routers, and speed is the SAME. Nothing has changed. Why is it that I am getting NOT even 50% of the through put on wifii?? And less than 30% on the top 2 floors? Someone please help! cause i will shoot myself if I have another session with an Indian tech support who doesn't understand my problem and simply reading through a script. Thanks!

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Depending upon your wifi devices you use with any wifi AC class router, most wifi devices max out at around 400-500Mpbs on wireless speed tests. This limitation is a hardware limitation with wifi AC devcices due to design and support. So if your seeing 300Mpbs on wifi speed tests this is about as good as you'll ever see on 5Ghz AC wifi. Your wired speed is to spec and that is good as well. Wired will always have better performance over wireless. Check with the mfr of your wireless devices for speed spec performance information. 

@cfusionusa wrote:

Hi, I have issues with my RBR20 performance. I have a town home 2800sqft, 3 levels. RBR20 in the basement and satellite on each floor above. I get 5-600mbps sitting next to router in wiffii. Hardwire is 950mbps. On the two other floors above i only get 250-300 mbps if i am lucky. Called tech support many times, many hrs, many settings and reboots later. They send me a new routers, and speed is the SAME. Nothing has changed. Why is it that I am getting NOT even 50% of the through put on wifii?? And less than 30% on the top 2 floors? Someone please help! cause i will shoot myself if I have another session with an Indian tech support who doesn't understand my problem and simply reading through a script. Thanks!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7