× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear RBK50-100NAR Orbi Home Mesh Wi-Fi System

redflame910
Aspirant

Netgear RBK50-100NAR Orbi Home Mesh Wi-Fi System

Hello I purchased the Netgear RBK50-100NAR Orbi Home Mesh Wi-Fi System in 2020. It worked great for a year. Suddenly in the past two weeks it goes down every 5 to 15 minutes. The signal from my modem is fine. There is no issue with the isp. I factory reset the Orbi and it worked great for about 8 hours then started doing the same thing. Has anyone had this happen? I don't mind spending the money to get tech assistance but if they can't fix it I would hate to waste the money on that. I feel like the product should have lasted longer than a year. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear RBK50-100NAR Orbi Home Mesh Wi-Fi System

What firmware version are you on? 

I've seen issues with the recent version. 

Might try downgrading to a lower version and see if it helps. 

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What exactly happens when this occurs? 

Does the top ring LED turn ON on the RBR or RBS?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 

@redflame910 wrote:

Hello I purchased the Netgear RBK50-100NAR Orbi Home Mesh Wi-Fi System in 2020. It worked great for a year. Suddenly in the past two weeks it goes down every 5 to 15 minutes. The signal from my modem is fine. There is no issue with the isp. I factory reset the Orbi and it worked great for about 8 hours then started doing the same thing. Has anyone had this happen? I don't mind spending the money to get tech assistance but if they can't fix it I would hate to waste the money on that. I feel like the product should have lasted longer than a year. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Message 3 of 5
redflame910
Aspirant

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

It is a Motorola and Model is E31U2V1

What exactly happens when this occurs? 

The network disappears from our network list in wifi settings. The modem still shows it is on with no disruption. 

Does the top ring LED turn ON on the RBR or RBS?

I have noticed some of the light spins blue on top of the Orbi. 

For the most part the network disappears momentarily and then reappears. Thanks for responding.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

If the top ring turned ON it means something happended between the RBR and the modem where it caused the RBR to lose it's connection to the modem and short enough that the PINK light didn't come ON but the BLUE one did indicating the RBR got a connection again. Possible intermittent loss of signal on the ISP like or modem and modem would not exatctly tell you this. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly. Have them check for any signal loss or log entries ON the modem. This modem model is not the greatest and have seen others have similar problems with this model modem with Orbi systems. Might ask for something different or ask about using your own modem. 
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7