Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Network Security Question, Orbi CBR40 + RBS20

M2019F
Follower

Network Security Question, Orbi CBR40 + RBS20

Happy Friday! I have a network security question for y’all as some strange stuff happened last night at my house. So middle of the night I’m woken up by Hank William’s 1952 classic “Your Cheatin’ Heart”. Obviously pretty strange, especially as the song is about not being able to sleep. So this was coming out of an older ‘non-smart’ Samsung soundbar. I’m 90% sure this device was off prior to this incident, which lead me to think of my network. It might have been someone locally just connecting to the BT, but I don’t think so based on what I found in my network. I checked my Orbi system’s connected devices and there was a strange DESKTOP device listed that I have not seen before. Being half asleep I didn’t take a screenshot of the IP (d’oh!) and of course this morning it’s nowhere to be found. So my current theory is that someone gained access to my network, but not sure on how. I do have to confess that my WPA-2 password was a 10-digit string (I know, I know…) so could easily be brute forced. This morning I have undertaken changing my WPA password and reconnecting my stuff. So my question to y’all is should I do anything more? Layer in a security product? Do you think this event generated based on physical proximity to my network or was it a more complex attack? Or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill and this is some dumb bug?

Hope this is at least a little interesting for y’all! Let me know your thoughts.

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Network Security Question, Orbi CBR40 + RBS20

Please post about this over in the Orbi with Cable modem forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/bd-p/en-home-orbi-cable

If you've changed PWs and such. Run with that and see if it happens again. 

Be sure your sound bar doesn't have any access as well. Check with the mfr for additional help and information regarding that product. 

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7