Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Alexa skill - does it work in AP mode or only router mode?

rhester72
Virtuoso

New Alexa skill - does it work in AP mode or only router mode?

Subject pretty much says it all.

Rodney

Message 1 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello rhester72

Here is what you need to do in order for it to work.

https://kb.netgear.com/000036879/What-prerequisites-do-I-need-to-follow-before-enabling-my-NETGEAR-r...

DarrenM

Message 2 of 8
rhester72
Virtuoso

Darren,

Here's the interesting thing - in AP mode, I can enable Remote Management via the Genie app (on Android), but not via the web UI on the router itself, which is greyed out.

I guess that means Remote Management actually isn't supported in AP mode, and thus neither is the Alexa functionality?

Rodney

Message 3 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Yea if you are unable to enable remote management then it wouldn't work.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 8
rkwright3
Initiate

Are there plans to make the Alexa skill work for Orbi in AP mode in a future firmware release? The lack of this feature is extremely disappointing, given that there is practically no way to know about this until after you buy, set it up, and then try to troubleshoot this during the first 24 hours.

Message 5 of 8
ScottJameson
Initiate

I have the same issue with new Orbi and Amazon Dot. I set teh Orbi to AP mode, and altough you can turn remote access on and off via the phone add, it is greyed out via the web interface, and Alexa responds that she can't find the Orbi when i try to use one of the tree current commands, even thought eh Dot is connected to the Orbi. I called Netgear tech support, and they walked me through re-installing everything, resetting Amazon, Netgear online and router admin password, etc. they didn't ask or mention that it won't work in AP mode. Yes, firmware update please. Update should also enable Alexa to report on other aspects of the Orbi system, like signal strength, schedule, email notifcation on/off, internet status and adding an Orbi satellite in either router or AP mode.

Message 6 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello everyone 

I have been looking into Alexa in AP mode and have a couple questions.

1. Is Orbi (AP mode) behind another Netgear router?
  2. Is there any firewall setting in their root app?
  3. Do you have any port forwarding configuration?

DarrenM

Message 7 of 8
ScottJameson
Initiate

No, not behind another Negear router, no firewall or port forwarding on Orbi. Upstream is a Verizon/Frontier router, which has 5 public static IPs and port forwarding from these to internal IPs of servers. Amazon Dot is connected to Orbi, no other wireless APs on network.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7