Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: r7500

JBinIL
Star

Re: New - NetGear Orbi Firmware Version 2.3.0.32 now available...

My Orbi outdoor (RBR50Y) and indoor (RBS50) satellites are connected via daisy chain.

Message 251 of 386
whammy
Aspirant

Furry,

Did you even read my post before posting that?

Message 252 of 386
gr8sho
Virtuoso

The iOS app was just updated.
Message 253 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Oops, applogize. I didn't read that right. 

@whammy wrote:

Furry,

Did you even read my post before posting that?

Message 254 of 386
Chuck_M
Mentor

@JBinIL wrote:

My Orbi outdoor (RBR50Y) and indoor (RBS50) satellites are connected via daisy chain.

Can you post a screen capture of your network map?

Message 255 of 386
gegger
Aspirant

Re: New - NetGear Orbi RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.3.0.32 now available...

downloading the other firmware worked

Message 256 of 386
JBinIL
Star

OrbiNetworkMap-WhenFourSatellitesExist.jpg

I have posted a picture of what the Orbi iOS Network Map shows. As you will see, since the Orbi app can only display the main router and a maximum of three satellites, the fourth Orbi satellite only appears on the iOS network map when you click on the "Tap here to see additional satellites" button. When I click that button, it shows the information below:

Orbi Router

- RBR50

Orbi (Indoor) Satellites (RBS50)

-InSat 1

-InSat 2

Orbi (Outdoor) Satellites (RBS50Y)

- OutSat 1

- OutSat 2

My slowest wifi device (a RingPro 2 camera) connects to my OutSat1 device at only 4MBPS (per the Orbi iOS app). The speed of the RingPro 2 camera does not display in the browser-based Orbi web page. All satellites show Good backhaul statuses. The OutSat 2 device is connected to one of my indoor RBS50 Orbi satellites via a daisy-chain connection. Implicit Beamforming, MU-MIMO, and Fast-Roaming are enabled.

Message 257 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Other FW? Can u be more specific? 

@gegger wrote:

downloading the other firmware worked

Message 258 of 386
Chuck_M
Mentor

@JBinIL wrote:

OrbiNetworkMap-WhenFourSatellitesExist.jpg

As you will see, since the Orbi app can only display the main router and a maximum of three satellites, the fourth Orbi satellite only appears on the iOS network map when you click on the "Tap here to see additional satellites" button.

This is a great datapoint to know, I had no idea it was limited to three.  Thanks for that -- exactly what I was wondering and how it rendered the daisychain piece.  +1!

Message 259 of 386
gegger
Aspirant

the firmware 2.2.1.212 prior to uploading the the new firmware.    Did a full resedt and i too think my signal is less than prior.  I need to do some some more analytics on this .  My wife does a lot of zoom, and the drops keep locking her up.  I have had 3 drops i know of since the firmware upgrade.  I was asuured by a tech the firmware would cure the drops.  Small home with 3 very expensive wifi, should be a breeze.  Google wifi was better than the orbi.  I am going to hardwire the wifes office, and if performance doesnt imporove scrapping an putting goole wifi back in.  thanks for your efforts to help

Message 260 of 386
orbilov
Apprentice

Not all options should be checked for most.

Implicit Beamforming (turn off [explicit is better]. Not clear whether Orbi has explicit by default or not offered.

MU-MIMO (fine for most)

Fast-Roaming (turn off).

Note Ring 2 is 2.4 only no AC, etc.

Late to thread but distance/walls/floors between parts of your network?
Message 261 of 386
JBinIL
Star

Orbi defaults to - and recommends - Implicit Beamforming.

I think Fast-Roaming is only applicable for wifi devices that move (not stationary devices).

I have Ring Pro, which can connect via 5.4GHZ AC or 2.4Mhz N.

Strangely, when I first powered on the Ring Pro, it immediately connected to one of my Orbi indoor satellites' 5.4Ghz AC connection that is about 200 feet away (100 feet farther than an Orbi outdoor router that is only about 100 feet away from the Ring Pro) with decent wifi speeds. Unfortunately, after 24 hours or so, the Orbi system then inexplicably redirected my Ring Pro's wifi connection to my outdoor Orbi's (about 100 feet closer) 2.4Ghz connection.

The distances between my wifi devices and satellites vary (4-125 feet), My Ring Pro, which my Orbi iOS apps shows to only be communicating at 4Mbps via 2.4Mhz to my daisy-chained Orbi outdoor satellite, shows very good signal strength and is about 100 feet away (through one 2x4 wall with fiberglass insulation).

Message 262 of 386
orbilov
Apprentice

None of Implicit Beamform, MU-MIMO, Fast-Roaming is on by default. Either way milage varries for all things. Test with all off. Add back one at a time, MIMO 1st see what's best for u.
Message 263 of 386
gegger
Aspirant

Interesting because the or I tech had me check all the boxes, beam forwarding Mimi etc. after firmware update speed good but still getting drops. Did hard reset

Rbs50 rbr50 rbs40 all relatively close drywall contructiom
Message 264 of 386
orbilov
Apprentice

Options are always good, it would not be configurable if it was best for all. And if it was for most would be default.

I can only confirm my testing with RBK53 set turning on those options made things worse, except MIMO which was a toss up.

Message 265 of 386
cornpit
Aspirant

r7500

Netgear is THE MOST CONFUSING PIECE OF CRAP i HAVE EVER SEEN. UPDATEDS... FORGET IT,  log-in...forget it, change passwords...forget it...buy this and waste 2 weeks or more... just saying.

Message 266 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: r7500

So you have R7500? 

@cornpit wrote:

Netgear is THE MOST CONFUSING PIECE OF CRAP i HAVE EVER SEEN. UPDATEDS... FORGET IT,  log-in...forget it, change passwords...forget it...buy this and waste 2 weeks or more... just saying.

Message 267 of 386
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@gegger wrote:
Interesting because the or I tech had me check all the boxes, beam forwarding Mimi etc. after firmware update speed good but still getting drops. Did hard reset

Rbs50 rbr50 rbs40 all relatively close drywall contructiom

I'm running my RBK50 setup with all 3 options checked.  Typically 20+ connected devices.

This and setting admin password (because was forced to) are the only changes I made . Oh, and as a precaution, I moved the base WiFi channel to 44 in order to have the cleanest available, based on doing a site survey using an Android tablet running WiFi analyzer. 

Message 268 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@gegger wrote:

the firmware 2.2.1.212 prior to uploading the the new firmware.    Did a full resedt and i too think my signal is less than prior.  I need to do some some more analytics on this .  My wife does a lot of zoom, and the drops keep locking her up.  I have had 3 drops i know of since the firmware upgrade.  I was asuured by a tech the firmware would cure the drops.  Small home with 3 very expensive wifi, should be a breeze.  Google wifi was better than the orbi.  I am going to hardwire the wifes office, and if performance doesnt imporove scrapping an putting goole wifi back in.  thanks for your efforts to help

Message 269 of 386
Damit1
Apprentice

Done some project this weekend, trying to re install this business with latest FW.
After factory default and everyrhing, it is a while I get 60-70/110 upload.
Wifi
Download speeds are about 500Mb, lets say is normal. Wifi
I used to get 120M upload, which hard wired I do get
Disabled Daisy Chin because it says it is aimed to more than 1 sat. I have 1 only
Channels are as used to be (loaded a backup config file)

Btw, from a tiny test I have done my HARD WIRE issue downalod seem to be solved, but i want to take a while before decalring anything.
Anymore offers?
Message 270 of 386
Zephyr3200
Aspirant

Hi guys!
Is it safe enough to manually update the firmware even if the auto update has not started yet?
Thanks
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 271 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, 

Update the RBS's first, then the RBR. You'll need the v212 applied first to the RBR, then apply v32. Factory reset after v32 has been applied and setup from scratch. 

@Zephyr3200 wrote:
Hi guys!
Is it safe enough to manually update the firmware even if the auto update has not started yet?
Thanks

Message 272 of 386
Zephyr3200
Aspirant

Ok thanks .
Can i use a computer hard wired to the satellite to update or do i have to hard wire my computer directly to my router?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 273 of 386
Chuck_M
Mentor

It is preferred to be hard wired to the device you are updating just for sureity.

Can you update the satellite via hardwire before plugging into the router?

Message 274 of 386
orbilov
Apprentice

Wireless works as firmware is fully downloaded to device before upgrade commences. Naturally wired is more bullet proof if for no other reason you dont need to re hand shake over wifi.
Message 275 of 386
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7