Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi RBR50/RBS50 Firmware Version 2.3.1.48

loomis1975
Luminary

Saw there was an update availabe in the app a couple days ago.  Went to the web browser like I always do, and shows updates for RBR50, RBS50, RBS40V, and no updates for RBS50Y (it rarely gets updates).  All updates were minor revisions on the last digits, .44 to .48, .10 to .12, so I waited till I had a quiet half hour network wise early today and updated.  No glitches so far and speed tests through the Orbi, phone, and farthest points on daisy chains are back to normal after about 10 to 15 minutes.

I'm not sure why, but I have never had the Orbi update the production firmware on me without my say so,  I've had the RBR50 and RBS50 since launch, I think it was September 2016.  They have had a lot of beta software on and off of them, but I've really only factory reset them as part of, or a result of beta testing.

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 51 of 171
lw187
Guide

Nest cams dropping consistently since upgrade
Message 52 of 171
lw187
Guide

How do you roll back?
Message 53 of 171
Dfran1
Apprentice

My wifi cameras are getting weaker signal today, nothing like 210 that was great, might be time to factory reset and try that, one day this stuff works the next day they don't, I changed nothing, do these things have AI built in, it certainly seems so.  Also my wifi channels are locked that worked perfectly on 210 for days, not like this one day good the next bad.  If I could just keep it on 210, hopefully tonight I can a factory reset and kill lots of time I don't have for this.

Message 54 of 171
lw187
Guide

i have one router and three satellites. the router is in ap mode, the satellites are hardwired to router. 

since the upgrade, satellites appear to be consistently dropping out and reconnecting. that appears to be the cause of my nest cams dropping out. 

i rolled back to previous firmware and all is well. 

Message 55 of 171
csm2000
Tutor

Finally, I solved the problem I was experiencing with the inability of my 2 Orbi Satellites to stay connected with my Orbi router.  After attempting to upgrade to v48, I was left with the router and 2 satellites on 2 different firmware versions.  Unfortunately, there was no apparent downloadable firmware file available from Netgear for a manual upgrade of a completely unstable system that wouldn’t remain connected to its other components.  Accordingly, I shut it off, tore it down, boxed it up and returned it to Costco and got my money back.  Netgear can’t get it right with this product.  Loved it when it worked but, oh what a mess!  

Message 56 of 171
FURRYe38
Guru

Users need to try a factory reset and setup from scratch as this seems to solve problems after a FW update. 

@lw187 wrote:

i have one router and three satellites. the router is in ap mode, the satellites are hardwired to router. 

since the upgrade, satellites appear to be consistently dropping out and reconnecting. that appears to be the cause of my nest cams dropping out. 

i rolled back to previous firmware and all is well. 

Message 57 of 171
lw187
Guide

no thanks. id rather netgear just make a ready for prime time update that isn't glitchy. ill wait for that 

Message 58 of 171
FURRYe38
Guru

Good luck with that. Seems to be an issue on going with auto update and continuing after a FW update. A reset ensures that any possible lingering code and mis-configurations are cleared out. This is one issue that has been on going for a long time now. Reset does fix most problems though. No issues with my systems doing a reset and setup from scratch. 

Good Luck. 

Message 59 of 171
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Hello,

Can you kindly explain please how on earth you're ablie to get the switch to enable disable auto updates?

@SW_ wrote:

Firmware-V48.png

Message 60 of 171
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the disable radio button not working for you? 

@gr8sho wrote:

Hello,

Can you kindly explain please how on earth you're ablie to get the switch to enable disable auto updates?

@SW_ wrote:

Firmware-V48.png

Message 61 of 171
gr8sho
Virtuoso

I don't have it.  Was it introduced in .48?  This is a question I've asked before with no response.  I don't want to update unless I know for a fact it comes with the new firmware as I'll have to schedule a factory reset.

Message 62 of 171
FURRYe38
Guru

Oh ok. Well seems to have been intro'd with v48 as it was posted by SW. I'll be updating the RBR I have to check this as well. 

Message 63 of 171
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Okay, thanks. The reason I would want to do factory reset is I had telnet'd into both boxes to turn off auto updating. If I have access to a switch, I'd rather put the devices back into their natural state.

Also if .48 in fact introduced the switch, I'd want to send a shout out to Netgear for listening to our requests as this would be be very much welcomed.
Message 64 of 171
Dfran1
Apprentice

I just factory reset on 48 and configured from scratch 

I don’t have that page at all,unless ro get it to show by a telnet or?? 

It’s not there 

Also satellite even after factory reset sucks!!  Connected devices to the satellite get 1/2 the speed vs connected to router, WiFi is weaker also 

so factory reset has done nothing. 

‘I need 210 back on and to stay on permanently,  the telnet method don’t work either, tried it twice, how do I tell netgear to get the hell out of my purchased equipmen and get me to lock this at 210 that I have great results with.

thank you

@gr8sho wrote:

I don't have it.  Was it introduced in .48?  This is a question I've asked before with no response.  I don't want to update unless I know for a fact it comes with the new firmware as I'll have to schedule a factory reset.

Message 65 of 171
gr8sho
Virtuoso

The page will be under Advanced tab using the management console via web under Administration --> Firmware Update
Message 66 of 171
Dfran1
Apprentice

Its not there

2 different computers and web browsers 

the only thing I can think of is Netgear is releasing diferent versions of firmware at diferent times, example : they released the one with that option and maybe other things then during the day or next day they changed it and deleted it for any one else.

@gr8sho wrote:
The page will be under Advanced tab using the management console via web under Administration --> Firmware Update

Message 67 of 171
jweise
Apprentice

There is no switch to stop auto update on the firmware update page, on my version of 48!!!

Message 68 of 171
Dfran1
Apprentice

maybe that is why my orbi took auto update, I only telneted into one, not the satelite

are these the commands to use on both?

nvram set orbi_auto_upgrade=0  <ENTER> (no spaces after set)

nvram set auto_check_for_upgrade=0 <ENTER> (no spaces after set)

nvram set auto_update=0 <ENTER> (no spaces after set)

@gr8sho wrote:
Okay, thanks. The reason I would want to do factory reset is I had telnet'd into both boxes to turn off auto updating. If I have access to a switch, I'd rather put the devices back into their natural state.

Also if .48 in fact introduced the switch, I'd want to send a shout out to Netgear for listening to our requests as this would be be very much welcomed.

Message 69 of 171
FM2019
Aspirant

Did you found a fix for the RBR20 disconnection after updating firmware to .48?

I have the same anoying problem.  I had no issues with firmware .44.  Now this Orbi is useless.  Will a new firmware be rolled out to fix this?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 70 of 171
LoboTommy
Luminary

Here's the fix...
Message 71 of 171
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@Dfran1 The satellite had fewer settings to change. To the extent I understand all the available and required settings.
It almost seems there is a setting to expose the switch for auto updates if I were to venture a guess that Netgear has hidden.
Message 72 of 171
FURRYe38
Guru

@gr8sho Well, I think you can hold off. I DON"T see any disable radio buttons of Auto update after manually loading v48 and doing a factory reset on the system and setting up from scratch. Nothing that has a enable or disable Auto update. I check two different browsers to be sure. 

Interesting to know were @SW_ got this from....

After setting up, both RBR and RBS are working fine for me. Speeds are to spec for 200/10 wired and wireless. Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming disabled. Beamforming and MIMO enabled...

@gr8sho wrote:

Message 73 of 171
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Well, I think you can hold off. I DON"T see any disable radio buttons of Auto update after manually loading v48 and doing a factory reset on the system and setting up from scratch. Nothing that has a enable or disable Auto update. I check two different browsers to be sure. 

Agreed.  The fix given is certainly not worthy of my time given the description.  And I was so looking forrward to gaining that elusive control...

Message 74 of 171
FURRYe38
Guru

Well, if this is the case then it may not be forth coming. Users been asking for this for a long time. I presume if NG hasn't made it an official feature by now, might not do it at all. Who knows. Smiley Frustrated

@gr8sho wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Well, I think you can hold off. I DON"T see any disable radio buttons of Auto update after manually loading v48 and doing a factory reset on the system and setting up from scratch. Nothing that has a enable or disable Auto update. I check two different browsers to be sure. 

Agreed.  The fix given is certainly not worthy of my time given the description.  And I was so looking forrward to gaining that elusive control...

Message 75 of 171
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7