Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi setup Issues

kcsupra
Guide

New Orbi setup Issues

Received my Orbi yesterday and had some install issues along the way. I followed the Quick Start Guide and got my Orbi at a  point to login to the admin portal. For some reason I was unable to get in. I tried wifi and hardwared into the satellite with no luck. I saw the ORBI SSID appear on my laptopn and applied the default password that was on the box. I tried the IP address to connect but no luck as well as the http://orbilogin.com.

I decided to reboot my cable modem, the Orbi Router and satelitte I was able to get into the login screen. But during the setup it was unable to get the the internet. It seems that the Router was unable to get an IP address from my ISP. After a release and renew from the Advance Screen I was able to get an IP address. 

I then proceed to check on the firmware and there was an update, so I was able to upgrade to version  V1.2.0.6. After I did this I was again unable to get an IP Address for the router. This time the release and renew did not work. So I powered down the cable modem and all my Orbi devices. After doing this I had to do the Release and renew again and got an IP address. Never had any issues with my past routers before. Not sure what the problem is with the Orbi system. 

Lastly a couple of my wifi devices are losing internet connection. They are connected but unable to get to the internet. I have to shutdown or disconnect from my wireless network and reconnect. This has happed twice already on 2 different devices. Signal strength is strong, so unclear what happens. 

I will monitor this for a few more days. If this becomes an issue I might have to send these Orbi back for a full refund. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 19
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Kcsupra

You may want to change the wireless channels to see if that stops the drops from happening.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 19
jbvdw
Initiate

How do you reset the wireless channels???   I am having some of the same issues... keeps dropping my devices and haveing to reconnect again.  

Message 3 of 19

@jbvdw wrote:

How do you reset the wireless channels???   I am having some of the same issues... keeps dropping my devices and haveing to reconnect again.  

you dont reset them but you can change them

go to

basic / wireless

change 2.4 gig from auto to say ch 1 , 6 or 11

change 5 gig to say ch 44

see if that helps with the wifi connectivity issues

pete

Message 4 of 19
juheimbu
Initiate

I'm also having this issue (firmware 1.4.0.18) after having set the radios to fixed channels.  Any other suggestions?  Randomly losing my internet connection is no good.

Thanks! 

-juheimbu

Message 5 of 19
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Are these drop out happening on specific devices like IOS devices? I have seen some customers say they have had problems with IOS since going to .18 firmware but if they roll back to .16 it is fine.

DarrenM

Message 6 of 19
thedonva
Guide

How exactly do you rollback to.16?  My wifi speed has dropped dramitically on my macbook pro and my netflix (ethernet) resolution is terrible.

Message 7 of 19
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello thedonva

Login to orbi by going to www.orbilogin.com with admin/password as the login info then go to Advanced-Administration-Firmware update then click manual update and download the Fw from the link below then load it onto the router.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#RBR50 (Orbi Router) Firmw...

make sure you get both the FW for the router and the satelllite.

DarrenM

Message 8 of 19
juheimbu
Initiate

@DarrenM wrote:

Are these drop out happening on specific devices like IOS devices? I have seen some customers say they have had problems with IOS since going to .18 firmware but if they roll back to .16 it is fine.

DarrenM

At first, that was the case, but I started noticing it on my Android phone, in addition to my wife's iPhone. I looked again, though, and found that the satellite firmware hadn't updated, so there was a firmware version mismatch between it and the router.  I updated it, and we're watching.  I'll try to backlevel to .16 if the drops persist.

-juheimbu

Message 9 of 19

Just got my Orbi and set it all up. The speed is good when it works. But the signal drops out like crazy every 5 seconds it seems. I can't work. Can you offer any other tips? I tried changing the channel to everything available. My wifi issues have now plagued me for months.

Message 10 of 19

@graphicidentity wrote:

My wifi issues have now plagued me for months.

then the issue is not the orbi but something in your local enviorment that is causing issues , be that too many other wifi transmissions around you or some other form of interference

do a site survey and see what else is around you , use something like inssider to see the graphical signals

Message 11 of 19
thedonva
Guide

I ditched my orbi in favor of Google wifi but that's because I have an ethernet backbone that allowed me to connect the Google wifi devices together.

Message 12 of 19

from what im seeing about google wifi i would suggest staying right away from it , seen many complaining about drops in coverage and client issues and the fact its so locked up to google its scary

Message 13 of 19
thedonva
Guide

I kept the three orbis for a while but the speeds were terrible. I tried troubleshooting with tech support. Tried different firmware versions. My Google wifi (3) work great. I'm getting phenomenal speeds but like I said I do have them bridged.
Message 14 of 19

Can I ask how you have them bridged? I've never quite understood bridging. How is that different?

Message 15 of 19

I'm not sure if I can return the product as I bought it through Amazon and their website says they will only refund new products at 50%. I'd like to try Google wifi but I think I'm stuck with these Orbis now. I have internet, but not the phenomenal speeds they talk of. Mostly I think because I just can't seem to penetrate a brick wall. Probably my fault for dreaming it might be possible. My question now is do I risk another $300 for a 3rd Orbi to see if that will fix it, or just live with intermittent (but not terrible wifi). What do you think?

Chris

Message 16 of 19
thedonva
Guide

@graphicidentity wrote:

Can I ask how you have them bridged? I've never quite understood bridging. How is that different?

So - bridge is not the correct term, I meant backhaul.  This article explains the difference between the Orbi and Google Wifi:

http://www.wegotserved.com/2016/12/19/review-google-wifi-part-2/

I just did a speed test and my download is 119.58Mbps using my Google Wifi.  I was getting 15Mbps with the Orbi.  I almost think having multiple Orbis caused interference problems.

Something interesting I learned from the Orbi tech is you have to be at least 10' from the Orbi router, try running a test standing close and then further away.

Don

Message 17 of 19
ImNoOne
Guide

Same problems...dropouts, unable to access router even after har reboot.  Finally returned them (3) to Costco.  THIS IS A BUMMER!  The ORBI really performs...in the few instances where it did.  Hopefully, they will develop a stable platform by Christmas...I would be willing to try again!

Message 18 of 19
thedonva
Guide

Google Wifi crushed Orbi especially if you can connect them together.  I don't believe you can connect Orbis or at least that did not help me.  And given there are 3 for each you'd expect them to perform the same.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 19 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7