Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.0.70 Officially Released

gr8sho
Virtuoso

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.0.70 Officially Released

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Fw version do you have currently loaded? .

It was on 2.5.1.16 as I ignored the prior update notification for the Nintendo switch fix.  

I used the iOS app to let the update proceed. It completed successfully.  

Used the check for updates and this version is the latest on offer.  

Message 126 of 155
vajim
Master

"I used the iOS app to let the update proceed."

Usually not a good idea.  Was there there a problem with your network before the update?

Message 127 of 155
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Hello. I’m not advocating anything here.
I wanted to see if something had changed in product support. Generally speaking I’m well aware of all the usual resets involved when updating any router’s firmware.
To see this actually work as expected was a pleasant surprise. Bear in mind I only use the product in AP mode so there isn’t much to do if a factory reset is required.
There wasn’t a concern with the prior firmware, just wanted to follow the prescribed product recommendation this particular round.
Message 128 of 155
vajim
Master

ok...good luck....just wasn't clean on why you updated the FW?  A recommendation is one thing, however my experience with the way NG releases these updates, I prefer to leave well enough alone.  

Message 129 of 155
Dalvador50
Tutor

I had been of FW 2.5 and devices were not showing as connected even though they seemed to be. Upgraded to 2.7.1.60 (I mistakenly got this whole thing in the wrong thread about 2.7.0.70) and all is well now.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 130 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, I was curious as to what the auto update servers were offering up with v16 loaded. 

@gr8sho wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Fw version do you have currently loaded? .

It was on 2.5.1.16 as I ignored the prior update notification for the Nintendo switch fix.  

I used the iOS app to let the update proceed. It completed successfully.  

Used the check for updates and this version is the latest on offer.  

Message 131 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

You can post about any v60 problems or information here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-v2-7-1-60-Officially-Released...

I recommend making a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. 

@Dalvador50 wrote:
I had been of FW 2.5 and devices were not showing as connected even though they seemed to be. Upgraded to 2.7.1.60 (I mistakenly got this whole thing in the wrong thread about 2.7.0.70) and all is well now.

Message 132 of 155
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38

wrote:

Ok, I was curious as to what the auto update servers were offering up with v16 loaded. 

My assumption is NG will recommend downlevel devices to move to a current release.  Using the app is likely the most prominent way customers will administer their device.   I also checked the browser management GUI and it also offered this 2.7.0  level.  I realize in the past this push turned out badly for many, and was prepared to factory reset if needed.  
In my case it appears to have worked out correctly.  

Message 133 of 155
vajim
Master

"Using the app is likely the most prominent way customers will administer their device. "

I never use the app and many have reported false readings there.

At the end of the day one has to ask why upgrade the FW?  Was your network experiencing problems?  If you NEED to update it is recommended that you read the release notes to determine if the update is of your concern.  Sometimes an update or fix is to address things like Disney, Armour, i.e., etc.  These may not be something you utilize.

Message 134 of 155
lukpac
Apprentice

@vajim wrote:

"Using the app is likely the most prominent way customers will administer their device. "

I never use the app and many have reported false readings there.

At the end of the day one has to ask why upgrade the FW?  Was your network experiencing problems?  If you NEED to update it is recommended that you read the release notes to determine if the update is of your concern.  Sometimes an update or fix is to address things like Disney, Armour, i.e., etc.  These may not be something you utilize.

Usually there are security considerations. So even if there isn't a new feature or a fix to specific functionality you use, firmware updates are still usually a good idea.

Message 135 of 155
vajim
Master

@lukpac wrote:

Usually there are security considerations. So even if there isn't a new feature or a fix to specific functionality you use, firmware updates are still usually a good idea.

The good ones are.....around here the first out of the box appear to a mess.  Your choice.  I prefer to wait.

Message 136 of 155
lukpac
Apprentice

@vajim wrote:

The good ones are.....around here the first out of the box appear to a mess.  Your choice.  I prefer to wait.

You're free to upgrade (or not). But you asked "why upgrade?" and I gave an answer. Security is an important consideration.

Message 137 of 155
vajim
Master

@lukpac wrote:

@vajim wrote:

You're free to upgrade (or not). But you asked "why upgrade?" and I gave an answer. Security is an important consideration.

OK.....as long as you don't imply that security is not a concern of mine.  I can only tell you what I've seen in here.  Do a search for yourself.  Hundreds of posts where uers just had to have the next wiz bang update and it fouled up their network that was working fine.

You asked....

Message 138 of 155
lukpac
Apprentice

@vajim wrote:

OK.....as long as you don't imply that security is not a concern of mine.  I can only tell you what I've seen in here.  Do a search for yourself.  Hundreds of posts where uers just had to have the next wiz bang update and it fouled up their network that was working fine.

You asked....

I actually didn't ask.

I guess I've been lucky though. I've had very few issues with updates.

Message 139 of 155
vajim
Master

I must of read it somewhere else...sorry.

Glad you're good to go.

Message 140 of 155
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@vajim wrote:

Your choice.  I prefer to wait.

Fine, I'll play along.  What firmware version is yours on.  And as for waiting, wait for what exactly?   

Message 141 of 155
vajim
Master

@gr8sho wrote:

@vajim wrote:

Your choice.  I prefer to wait.

Fine, I'll play along.  What firmware version is yours on.  And as for waiting, wait for what exactly?   

2.5.something.    As I don't care.   And as for waiting I guess I'm not spending my day reloading a webpage or Orbi app for the next update .   I'm just not anxious. The real question may be why crucify me when all I ready did was state a position. If you don't subscribe to the same scroll on.  

Message 142 of 155
alokeprasad
Mentor

I'm a new RBK50 user (inatalled it yesterday).  It sees ver 2.5.2.4 as the current version.

Everything works fine.  I am not in a hurry to change the firmware (unless there's serious security-related update).

Are firmware updates forced on me when the Orbi discovers newer firmware (there are many newer ones already)?

Can I deny those firmware updates?

Thx.

Aloke

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 143 of 155
vajim
Master

@alokeprasad wrote:

I'm a new RBK50 user (inatalled it yesterday).  It sees ver 2.5.2.4 as the current version.

Everything works fine.  I am not in a hurry to change the firmware (unless there's serious security-related update).

Are firmware updates forced on me when the Orbi discovers newer firmware (there are many newer ones already)?

Thx.

Aloke

I received a message from the moderator here awhile back that said the only firmware updates that are pushed (no action or clicking required by the user) were those with major security updates. All other 'available' updates are at the user discretion. 

Some of the confusion appears to be when users see that an update is available and they think they must update or they have this strong urge or desire to update. The choice is up to the user.   

if you do a search on firmware updates here you'll read many posts from those who upgraded early and ended having to revert because the firmware was faulty.  The biggest problem is dealing with the many different ways users configure their networks.  

The choice is yours.  

Message 144 of 155
alokeprasad
Mentor

I's like some confirmation that I can decline updates that are not related to security.  The problem is, often the Reslease Notes will simply asy "security fixes" without getting into any details.  Hard to decide what to do then.

There is a listing on

https://www.netgear.com/about/security/

but it is a lot of work to figure out what's fixed in which firmware version.  They should list the PSV# of the security issues in the Release Notes for each update.

The other pet peeve of mine is the need to reset all settings after firmware updates.  At the very least, one should be able to save settings to a file, update firmware, reset to defaults and then re-import settings.  Whats the point of settings backup/resptore feature if this is not advised?

I have lots of devices that I have named, and it is a pain to have to repeat all that every time.  Besides, one can miss some setting and have problems because of that.

Rant-mode off

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 145 of 155
vajim
Master

in some cases I've seen updates where the release notes talk about security.  Then they too cause problems.  There is no perfect world.  Do what you feel is right.

As far as the settings, some suggest saving your settings prior to reset then reload the old setting.  Do a search.

Enjoy

Message 146 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

v70 is superseded by this version:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

up to you if you want to manually updated or not. I don't think it's up on NG auto update servers yet. 

IF you see notification on the RBRs web page about a FW update, it's up to you if you want update to this notice or not. 

@alokeprasad wrote:

Thx.

Aloke

Message 147 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

Also v4 has been superseded by this version as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

So at some point you may see notficiation on the RBR for this version. 

@alokeprasad wrote:

Thx.

Aloke

Message 148 of 155
vajim
Master

One final thought.....some here advocate updates regardless of your network or how it's configured. How could they know?  In their mind (and some will even post link advertisements to update links) all updates should be applied right away.  

As I've stated it's your choice.  User beware 

Message 149 of 155
vajim
Master

An additional final thought.....no wonder there's so much confusion on firmware updates. Just went to the download area for the RBR50 and there are 3 different firmware versions available for download. How does that help the consumer other than to provide a fix for not ready for prime time release?  A way back, a rescue.  How is that any different than saying we're not sure how all of this will work or if it will not crash your network.   Just an observation 

Message 150 of 155
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7