Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.5.4

FURRYe38
Guru

New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.5.4

Bug Fixes: 02/23/2023

This firmware provides the following bug fixes:

• Various Armor bug fixes
  • Various SPC (Smart Parental Control) bug fixes

Security Fixes:

This firmware addresses security vulnerabilities. For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security.

Download Link: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbk50

Firmware Update Instructions:

To update your product’s firmware, follow the instructions in your product’s user manual.

To find your user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/

Then enter your model number in the search box, and click the Documentation button on the product page.

NOTE: Orbi app or the routers web page may not report seeing new FW updates. NG may not push this to there auto update services immediately and may activate the newer FW update being seen on there auto update services at a later time. User will have the choice to manually update if you want too.

If you manually update, be sure to update the RBS first, then RBR lastly. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

NOTE:  Update the RBS first, then the RBR lastly. After the FW files are loaded and the RBS and RBR are ready, power OFF the RBS and RBR for 2 minutes then back ON.

Unplug the power adapters from the power wall outlet. 

A factory reset maybe needed if problems are encountered:

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200. Not required. 
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

This article applies to:

Let us know how it works for you in this thread please.

Message 1 of 57

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend a power OFF the the RBR and RBS for 1 minute then back ON with the RBR first then RBS. 

Should be fully synced after this. 

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 57

All Replies
punkorambo
Guide

What is SPC?
Message 2 of 57
Jeffgear
Luminary

Wow I look forward to trying this but perhaps over the weekend to avoid bricking my system when I need it operational for remote working today and movie night!

It would be nice to have the Armor issues finally resolved. It must have been nearly a year the Armor issue appeared but I guess they were keen to exhaustively test it rather than release a version and cause mayhem as per a time last year on some models.

I see there’s no new update for the outdoor model RBS50Y which remains on a different firmware stream to the one I’m on anyway and that hasn’t had an update for a long time to stay in step with the RBR/RBS updates. I hope it remains compatible once my RBR and RBS are on the latest version.

I’m guessing we may see an Orbi app update as well.
Message 3 of 57
tagteam
Virtuoso

Updated 3 Satellites and the Router. No issues thus far.

RBK53 plus one extra sat.

Message 4 of 57
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello punkorambo,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

SPC is NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls, this feature is used to manage access and implement additional access controls to your network. With NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls (SPC) lets you monitor your children's online activity. You can restrict access to adult content and harmful websites. You can also create different profiles with customized access rules for each child in your family. With SPC Premium, you can set Internet access schedules and time limits, and send your children screen time rewards for good behavior.

Please navigate to the link below for more information on NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls Premium:

What are the features of NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls and Smart Parental Controls Premium? | Answ...

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 5 of 57
Jeffgear
Luminary

Updated my RBR and RBS without any drama but there’s no new firmware for the outdoor variant of the satellite. It seems to be still compatible on v2.7.4.12 with the RBR and indoor RBS on the new v2.7.5.4 firmware. I guess they have stopped supporting the outdoor unit and it may eventually become incompatible as the RBR updates.

The Orbi app doesn’t take as long to refresh the Network Map when clicking on the satellites for their details which is an obvious improvement. And I notice the app has had an update as well to 2.24.0.44 and seems stable at connecting locally and remotely.

However and somewhat frustrating, despite the release note saying it has fixed some Armor bugs, the same bugs I have raised for nearly a year now are still occurring: it thinks my iOS devices are unprotected despite them running the Bitdefender app with the VPN active, and the Armor feature in the Orbi app reports that notifications are disabled when they are enabled. Both these false positives result in the security score being reported in the low 80s as I have 4 iOS devices that it thinks are unprotected. I tried disabling Armor in the Orbi app and re enabling to force the RBR to refresh. And logging out the Bitdefender app on an iOS device and logging back in to setup the VPN again, but neither has forced a reconciliation with the Armor Security feature in the Orbi app.
Message 6 of 57
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Jeffgear,

Thanks for that information on the most recent update!

I understand that you disabled Armor on your Orbi app to refresh your router. Please try to reboot your RBR50 after you disable Armor through the app. 

(Note: A factory reset may be required after disabling Armor for changes to take place.)

Please keep us informed on the progress of this issue!

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 7 of 57
Jeffgear
Luminary

Hi Kevin

I tried again. I disabled Armor in the Orbi app. Logged out of Bitdefender app on my iOS device. Rebooted the router and satellites. Re enabled Armor. Logged into Bitdefender and setup the VPN. Checked Orbi devices and my iOS device entry and Orbi still thinks it is unprotected and thinks I need to install Bitdefender. The security score has gone up to 85 as it thinks notifications are now enabled. It does this and at some point will drop the score when it thinks notifications are disabled.
I won’t try a factory reset at this stage as I tried that a few months ago at the advice of Support as a fix for this Armor ios issue and it made no difference. I don’t really want to waste the time again as the internet is in use at home, and it’s a certain fix and not a hopeful try and see suggestion as a last resort. I think there’s a long running unresolved bug with Armor and iOS devices. I heard some Android were experiencing this as well so it will be good to hear from any Android users who I’ve updated their router to this latest version.
Message 8 of 57
Jeffgear
Luminary

Oddly and not surprisingly the score has dropped as it now thinks notifications are disabled and it’s now thinking a web cam should have Bitdefender installed so adds that to its list of eligible iOS devices . It usually drops the camera from its list of eligible devices for protection after some period of reconciliation, I think previously this was a day or so later.
Message 9 of 57
Slychlander
Aspirant

Hi my experience is as follows:

I have 1 x RBR50 and 2 x RBS50s all were on V2.7.4.24 

I just updated my 2 x RBS50 satellites from the Orbilogin and used the manual option (downloaded the new v2.7.5.4 and extracted to a dedicated folder.  This worked successfully and both satellites were showing green in the app however one has dropped to amber status but still working.  However the RBR50 is not showing in the Orbilogin as needing a firmware update   see screenshot below

Slychlander_0-1678964276185.png

When I go to manually update I see the RBS50s only which are up to date see screenshot below:

Slychlander_1-1678964398981.png

I am concerned as this update carries critical security fixes I would like to have the RBR50 aligned with the RBS50s, I believe its good practice to have them in synch for performance reasons.  Please can anyone help me I am UK based.    

Message 10 of 57
FURRYe38
Guru

Log into the RBS web page using the IP address given to them by the RBR. Use the RBS web page to update FW there. 

Always be sure to update the RBS first, the the RBR lastly.

@Slychlander wrote:

Hi my experience is as follows:

I have 1 x RBR50 and 2 x RBS50s all were on V2.7.4.24 

I just updated my 2 x RBS50 satellites from the Orbilogin and used the manual option (downloaded the new v2.7.5.4 and extracted to a dedicated folder.  This worked successfully and both satellites were showing green in the app however one has dropped to amber status but still working.  However the RBR50 is not showing in the Orbilogin as needing a firmware update   see screenshot below

Slychlander_0-1678964276185.png

When I go to manually update I see the RBS50s only which are up to date see screenshot below:

Slychlander_1-1678964398981.png

I am concerned as this update carries critical security fixes I would like to have the RBR50 aligned with the RBS50s, I believe its good practice to have them in synch for performance reasons.  Please can anyone help me I am UK based.    

Message 11 of 57
Slychlander
Aspirant

Hi I follow your instructions however they don't fix the issue if you read my first post the main issue is the RBR50 firmware cannot be updated, however the RBS have been successfully updated to v2.7.5.4,  my question is why does Netgear have a firmware update shown on their website yet I am unable to update to it?  As mentioned it leaves the Router and the satellites on different firmware versions which is not good practice.  Take a look at the screenshots I have posted they explain the issue.  

Thanks for your further consideration.

Message 12 of 57
FURRYe38
Guru

Manually load the RBR FW as mentioned in the first post in this thread. 

Message 13 of 57
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Slychlander,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having difficulties updating your Orbi router to the latest FW 2.7.5.4. Please ensure that you are using the correct FW file for your Orbi RBR50 router. 

Please navigate to the link below for the download file for your RBR50: 
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50#download

For more information on manually updating your RBK50 please navigate to the link below:
https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 14 of 57
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Slychlander wrote:

Hi I follow your instructions however they don't fix the issue if you read my first post the main issue is the RBR50 firmware cannot be updated, however the RBS have been successfully updated to v2.7.5.4,  my question is why does Netgear have a firmware update shown on their website yet I am unable to update to it?  As mentioned it leaves the Router and the satellites on different firmware versions which is not good practice.  Take a look at the screenshots I have posted they explain the issue.  

Thanks for your further consideration.

Message 15 of 57
Slychlander
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 Thanks for the prompt - I tried again as before following the instructions by using the OrbiLogin and tethered directly to the RBR50 from my laptop using the compressed file on the Netgear site (Firmware Version 2.7.5.4) however was still only seeing the same screenshots as below:

Screenshot 2023-03-14 213714.png

Screenshot 2023-03-16 105726.png My next attempt is to use the MS Edge browser and download a fresh file and try again, I am also using the Manual tab to force the upgrade however as the RBR50 is not shown on this tab it just isn't possible.  I also updated the RBS50s without any issues and am concerned that I could have performance issues if the versions of FW are not aligned.  Looking at some other advice a factory reset could be the last option, something I would prefer to avoid.  Any helps or guidance is welcomed! 

Message 16 of 57
Slychlander
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 , @KevinLiT   Just to add I did read the below on the instructions in the first post on this subject, however, it doesn't make sense if you give me access to the RBR & RBS FW update then only allow the RBSs to be updated and no checkbox or way to update the RBR....

NOTE: Orbi app or the routers web page may not report seeing new FW updates. NG may not push this to there auto update services immediately and may activate the newer FW update being seen on there auto update services at a later time. User will have the choice to manually update if you want too.

Message 17 of 57
FURRYe38
Guru

is the RBR updating when you use the Manual tab to send down the FW file that you unpacked from the .zip file? 

Whats the version seen on the RBR home page at the top? 

Message 18 of 57
Slychlander
Aspirant

@FURRYe38  the RBR doesn't show as an option in the Manual tab, therefore I am unable to send the FW file that I unpacked from the .zip file? 

The version seen on the RBR home page at the top is the old version v2.7.4.24 

I have also just lost the RBR50 completely and restarted it and now its back on and green, however both RBS50s have disconnected and showing as red.  I hope this isn't the fact the FW is not aligned.  

Message 19 of 57
FURRYe38
Guru

So under the Manual Tab with in the FW update section, you don't see a Browse button here to open up a navigation window to navigate to where the unpacked FW file is on your PC? https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Message 20 of 57
Slychlander
Aspirant

Hi i managed to force the update by selecting the FW file in the browse field and hitting update - my error i thought i needed to see a description and check box for the RBR50 - you don't need this just do as above. Hopefully the satellites will all recover I will restart them too.  Many thanks to all the technical and helpful people on here case closed for now! 

Message 21 of 57
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend a power OFF the the RBR and RBS for 1 minute then back ON with the RBR first then RBS. 

Should be fully synced after this. 

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 22 of 57
dougwright
Aspirant

Hello,

I was upgrading my RBR50/RBS50 from 2.7.4.24 to 2.7.5.4.  As per the documentation I attempted to manually upgrade the satellite first.  This seemed to go well, but after the satellite restarted it still reported its version as 2.7.4.24.  I tried to upgrade it a second time, but on that attempt is said I was trying to upload the same firmware version.  Moving on to the router, it upgraded to 2.7.5.4 fine.

Both the router and satellite appear to be working correctly, but I'm not sure what to do with the satellite now with it still reporting it's at 2.7.4.24 and saying I'm trying to upload the same version if I attempt to upload 2.7.5.4.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Message 23 of 57
CrimpOn
Guru

When the Orbi complains, "trying to upload the same version", I mutter, "well, duh, just shut up already and do what I tell you to do."  Click, "Yes", Do it.

Message 24 of 57
FURRYe38
Guru

And be sure to use the RBS web page to send the FW file directly to the RBS, and not the RBRs web page. 

@dougwright wrote:

Hello,

I was upgrading my RBR50/RBS50 from 2.7.4.24 to 2.7.5.4.  As per the documentation I attempted to manually upgrade the satellite first.  This seemed to go well, but after the satellite restarted it still reported its version as 2.7.4.24.  I tried to upgrade it a second time, but on that attempt is said I was trying to upload the same firmware version.  Moving on to the router, it upgraded to 2.7.5.4 fine.

Both the router and satellite appear to be working correctly, but I'm not sure what to do with the satellite now with it still reporting it's at 2.7.4.24 and saying I'm trying to upload the same version if I attempt to upload 2.7.5.4.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Message 25 of 57
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 56 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7