Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version v2.7.1.60 Officially Released

jhoff909
Apprentice

and in what order should I power the devices back up?

Message 26 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Don't know. User experiences including myself have seen best operations after a power cycle and or a factory reset as last resorts to clear out any odd problems seen after a FW update. It's up to users to do this or not. Experienced users give the information, up to users to use it or not. 

Good Luck. 

Message 27 of 65
jhoff909
Apprentice

What order should the devices be powered back up?

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Don't know. User experiences including myself have seen best operations after a power cycle and or a factory reset as last resorts to clear out any odd problems seen after a FW update. It's up to users to do this or not. Experienced users give the information, up to users to use it or not. 

Good Luck. 

Message 28 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

I power If you include the modem for good measure, power ON the modem, then RBR, then RBS one at a time...

Message 29 of 65
jhoff909
Apprentice

Thanks.  My system doesn't have a modem tho (CL gigabit fiber).  But, I'll do ONT, CL router, Orbi router, Oribi Satellites one at a time.  But that all will have to wait until the family and renters aren't using it...

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I power If you include the modem for good measure, power ON the modem, then RBR, then RBS one at a time...

Message 30 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is the CL router working in? Bridge or Router mode? 

@jhoff909 wrote:

Thanks.  My system doesn't have a modem tho (CL gigabit fiber).  But, I'll do ONT, CL router, Orbi router, Oribi Satellites one at a time.  But that all will have to wait until the family and renters aren't using it...

Message 31 of 65
jhoff909
Apprentice

Router.  Orbi is in AP mode.  As we've discussed before, I tried really hard to take the CL router out of the system - it worked but the Orbi's wired and wireless speeds suffered significantly.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@jhoff909 wrote:

Message 32 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah ok. Just checking.

Message 33 of 65
jhoff909
Apprentice

Did the restart of the whole system.  Painful 😞  After the first restart, there were issues that I'm not entirely sure how to describe.  I did a second restart of just the Orbi components and now it's working - again maybe better than before except that the connected devices list is pretty hosed up.  There are for example devices that I know are connected via a static IP that I can connect to but I don't see in the list...  I will try a factory reset this weekend when I have time.  It will be easier now that it's just in AP mode - less to setup.  Do you have a recommended way to do the reset?

@jhoff909 wrote:

Router.  Orbi is in AP mode.  As we've discussed before, I tried really hard to take the CL router out of the system - it worked but the Orbi's wired and wireless speeds suffered significantly.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@jhoff909 wrote:

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 34 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Press the reset button in back for 15 seconds then release. I would do this on the RBR first, then RBS. Turn OFF the RBS after they are reset. Then setup the RBR from scratch. I tend to do this off line from the ISP modem or main host router. If yoru going to use AP mode, then configure the RBR for AP mode. I like using a static IP address ON the RBR for AP mode vs Dynamic. However your host routers default IP address pool should be smaller so you can assigne static IP addresses ON devices that are out side of the host routers default IP address pool. Static IP addressed devices should not be with in the default IP address pool on the host router.

Once you have the RBR setup for AP mode and configured for your needs, connecting it to the host router and check it's operation. Depending on RBS placement, disable Diasy Chain unless you have your RBS out in a line from the RBR. Beamforming, MIMO and Fast Roaming should be enabled. If all good with the RBR, turn on the 1st RBS and I use the sync button on the RBS and RBR to add it. I recommend doing this in the same room or near the RBR first with both RBS. Once both RBSs are synced, go to your host router and set a IP address reservation for the RBS seen there. This will ensure they get the same IP address each time they connect for services. Once the RBS are setup, power them off and place in remote locations and turn them ON one at a time. They should connect. 

How I do most of my setups that work well for AP mode. 

Message 35 of 65
jhoff909
Apprentice

Thanks - I'll work on that over the weekend.  Interesting, I looked at how my CL router is setup for reservations and it has an odd to me at least config:

Screenshot from 2020-11-13 10-58-42.png

Default as above has a whole bunch of devices with reservations that I don't care about.

Message 36 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Use the Choose File button at the bottom of the editor screen to inlcude your picture files. 

Message 37 of 65
jhoff909
Apprentice

That's strange, let me try again:

Message 38 of 65
jhoff909
Apprentice

But trying to do it in-line:

Screenshot from 2020-11-13 10-58-42.png

Message 39 of 65
jhoff909
Apprentice

Interesting, inline doesn't seem to work.

Message 40 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

I see the IP address range and DHCP state and reservation sections....

The inline picture has to be approved by a forum moderator. Smiley Wink

Message 41 of 65
jhoff909
Apprentice

If it's not obvious, the config creates an automatic reservation range where if a client gets an IP address in that range (in this case from 100-177) it automatically gets a reservation.  I didn't show it but below, I can see a large number of reservations, some from devices that transiently visited (friends phones, etc).  I have the DHCP range (a different page) set to .100 - .254 and have clients with static IPs configured in the 2-99 range.  My RBR50 for example has one of the automatic reservations (.109) which is why it's IP address hasn't changed as I upgraded firmware, rebooted, etc.  Which I was kinda curious about.  I'm gonna turn that off, remove all of the reservations (none of which I care about) and setup a static IP for the RBR and maybe the two RBSs.  Or realistically, just

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I see the IP address range and DHCP state and reservation sections....

The inline picture has to be approved by a forum moderator. Smiley Wink

using reservations is actually better...

Message 42 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Can those reservations be removed from the modems UI? 

Message 43 of 65
jhoff909
Apprentice

Yes, there is a remove button.  I have been avoiding touching it until later as if I start, I will get distracted and it's still a work (from home) day for me.  But I would want to also turn off the automatic reservations featuer (2nd radio button in the screenshot) at the same time otherwise I assume they will just come back.

Message 44 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes something to try over the weekend and yes, turn off auto reservations. 

Message 45 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Still seeing the RBR50 in AP mode and RBS50 with v2.7.1.60 directly connected via ethernet to the RBR50, with out a LAN switch, causing an ARP storm and causing the CAX80s web page to become non accessible after this ARP storm happens. Since I saw the ARP storm happen with the RBS directly connected to the RBR, I didn't test with the RBS behind daisy chained switches. I believe this is a Orbi FW issue.

RBK50 in AP mode and connected to a CAX80 in router mode. 

Message 46 of 65
bolingde
Guide

I just updated this weekend to V2.7.1.60 from Version 2.3.5.30. The long story is that I had tried to update from 2.3.5.30 a few months ago and the router started dropping internet every 10-15  minutes. (BTW, Disney+ is great at telling you when the internet drops even if it's buffered)

I was starting to worry about getting too far behind and tried the newest auto update (V2.5.2.4 I think) and it really started acting up again so I decided to try v2.7.1.60. I still get some drops but not as many. 

Just thought I'd share with others. My RBR50 and RBS50's (I have 2) are fairly old (4 years or more so) so that may be part of the problem.

When I say "internet dropping" it could be the whole router, kind of hard to tell. I don't think it's just the wireless because the the message is can't reach the internet. While it was happening however I also couldn't get on the router configuration page either. 

Message 47 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Are you in the USA region? if not, then you may want to use this version of FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

Or try v16 which is  most stable version of FW currently:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

@bolingde wrote:

I just updated this weekend to V2.7.1.60 from Version 2.3.5.30. The long story is that I had tried to update from 2.3.5.30 a few months ago and the router started dropping internet every 10-15  minutes. (BTW, Disney+ is great at telling you when the internet drops even if it's buffered)

I was starting to worry about getting too far behind and tried the newest auto update (V2.5.2.4 I think) and it really started acting up again so I decided to try v2.7.1.60. I still get some drops but not as many. 

Just thought I'd share with others. My RBR50 and RBS50's (I have 2) are fairly old (4 years or more so) so that may be part of the problem.

When I say "internet dropping" it could be the whole router, kind of hard to tell. I don't think it's just the wireless because the the message is can't reach the internet. While it was happening however I also couldn't get on the router configuration page either. 

Message 48 of 65
glenfaj26
Guide

I tried unzipping the files and all I get is a message "The disc image is corrupted." 

Is this update a joke? 

Netgear Update Corrupted 11.23.2020.JPG

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 49 of 65
bolingde
Guide

You might try downloading again.

I can't say it's a joke but after messing with it I went back to an earlier version. I'll probably keep it on until I decide to replace the orbi with something else. 

Message 50 of 65
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 64 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7