Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is the Orbi Satellites compatible with Nighthawk RAX52.v2?

tlf_mb
Aspirant

Is the Orbi Satellites compatible with Nighthawk RAX52.v2?

We have a 2100 sqft home fully prewire and I bought a Nighthawk AX6 router.  I want to keep the same SSID .  Can I hook up the Orbi Satellites to my Nighthawk router via ethernet port, without hooking up Orbi router? 

Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk RAX54.v2 with Orbi satellite without Orbi router

Well as long as your not using same channels betrween the RAX and your perspective AP, then should work ok. 

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 21

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

No. Orbi satellites only connect to there perspective model Orbi router. Don't connect to non Orbi systems.

https://kb.netgear.com/000065169/Which-Orbi-routers-and-satellites-are-compatible

Message 2 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@tlf_mb wrote:

We have a 2100 sq.ft. home fully prewire and I bought a Nighthawk AX6 router.  I want to keep the same SSID .

AX6 is a marketing term describing more than one Nighthawk router.  It would be helpful to know the actual model number of this router.  When replacing one WiFi router with another, the common practice is to configure the new router with exactly the same WiFi credentials (SSID/password) as the one being replaced.  This allows every device in the house to connect automatically to the new router and also allows the user to "go back" to the old router by simply exchanging the hardware.

It also would be useful to understand the reasoning behind the purchase.  i.e. what prompted purchasing a stand-alone WiFi router to replace a mesh system of three access points.

With that Orbi Pro system now officially "End of Life", there may be more Netgear customers considering "what to do?"

Message 3 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

The subject line has the model # of the router there asking if the Orbi satellites will not connect too. 

Message 4 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Great start for my morning!  Thanks.

Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you not get some coffee Sir? Hehe. Good morning. 

Message 6 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

The original RAX54S does not seem to be a "step up" from the Orbi Pro system. Alas, attempts to open the support page for RAX54Sv2 result in "404 - page not found".

Message 7 of 21
tlf_mb
Aspirant

Model:  RAX54v2

AX5400 Wifi6 Router.

It's a Nighthawk AX6 wifi router and I like want to add an Orbi satellite without a mesh router.    Will it work?  Thank you for your help!

Message 8 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry I did not read the original post more carefully.  As @FURRYe38 mentioned, Orbi satellites connect only to Orbi routers and there are restrictions on which routers each satellite is compatible with.

Answer: "no".

Message 9 of 21
tlf_mb
Aspirant

The Nighthawk supposes to cover 2500 sqft (we have 2100 with 3 levels).  Our 3rd floor has poor wifi coverage.  My TV is using ethernet connection, and we have ethernet connection in every rooms.  Thank you for your help!

Message 10 of 21
tlf_mb
Aspirant

Should I try an extender and any recommendation?  I have not heard any good reviews; mesh system seems to work better, but do not like an additional router.  Thank you for your help!

Message 11 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I would recommend you take a look at NGs EAX series of wifi extenders. I would presume for that size of home, just one EAX series unit will help there. 

Message 12 of 21
tlf_mb
Aspirant

I will check that out.  Thank you!

Message 13 of 21
tlf_mb
Aspirant

What is your thought on

NETGEAR WiFi 6 Dual-Band AX1800 Cloud Managed Wireless Access Point - Up to 200 Clients, PoE+ or AC Powered

Since we have WAP on our ceilings.  Will this device work with my Nighthawk RAX54v2?  Thank you!

Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure if that unit has any kind of wireless extending abilities. I believe you need something to work with your RAX router that will connect to this routers wifi and help extend it's wifi in the home. Something like this would suggested:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/eax20/

Message 15 of 21
tlf_mb
Aspirant

Since my house has prewire WAPs, it will be ethernet connected.  My plan is to set my router to a switch for all my ethernet connections.  Thank you!

Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

EAX series are designed to be wireless connected to the RBR then extend the signal out. I believe the EAX series can work in AP mode however would be using different SSID name and channels and not integrate as in Extender mode. 

Message 17 of 21
tlf_mb
Aspirant

I am an newbie at this.  My fear the wifi extended signal won't be reliable and I am trying to avoid using another SSID.  In theory, the PoE should work...

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Well as long as your not using same channels betrween the RAX and your perspective AP, then should work ok. 

Message 19 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

There may be confusion over how WiFi systems "work".

For a long time, WiFi routers such as the RAX54 were stand-alone units.  They created a WiFi service area as large as the FCC limits on radio transmission would allow.  The only way to cover more area was to add additional WiFi access points.  These additional units could be connected to the router using Ethernet cable or over WiFi.  Each unit created a new WiFi coverage area.  The WiFi credentials for these additional units can be anything.

• They can be exactly the same as the primary router credentials, or
  • They can be different.

When each WiFi device powers up, it scans the radio space for WiFi systems that are available and presents a list of them to the user to choose from.  Sometimes, the device has already stored the password to some systems and has been set to "connect automatically" whenever it discovers one of these systems.  This is what happens, for example, when a person comes home.  The smartphone says, "Hey. I've been told to connect automatically to this system." and does it.

The problem with this method of expanding WiFi coverage is that each access point is unique. (no matter what credentials it is using)  WiFi devices will not roam seamlessly between access points.  Devices that are fixed in place (cameras, speakers, televisions, ovens, garage door openers, etc. etc. are not bothered by this.  They never "roam".  Mobile devices, however, can be annoying.  As they get farther away from the original access point, their connection gets weaker (and weaker).  Performance gets worse (and worse)  Eventually, performance gets so bad that either the device drops the connection and begins to look for another, or the user gets fed up and tells the device to disconnect. Once disconnected, the device will look around and say, "here's a WiFi system that I know the credentials to.  I'll connect to it."

I call this the, "Honey. The WiFi is so slow"  problem.  "You went upstairs (or came downstairs) dear. Did you remember to turn WiFi off and back on again?"  Grrrrrrr.

Mesh systems solve this problem by communicating within the mesh and nudging devices to switch to another access point.  Once connected to a mesh system, user devices can roam seamlessly from one access point to another.

This all has nothing to do with the WiFi credentials.

There is one situation where having a WiFi extender with different credentials solves a specific problem.  Suppose that some device keeps switching from one access point to another.  If a WiFi extender is set up with different credentials, then the device will have only one place to connect.

So, my concern is that by trying to save money by using an old technology, you may be sleeping on the couch.

Message 20 of 21
tlf_mb
Aspirant

I appreciate your information!  Thank you.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7