Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router to NETGEAR - Orbi AX4200 Tri-Band Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System (2-pa

walleye87
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router to NETGEAR - Orbi AX4200 Tri-Band Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System (2-pa

We currently have a Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200 WiFi Rou Model R8000 (old 7 or 8 years), we are having a lot of trouble with phone coverage inside our house. And we have trouble getting coverage in our barn.  I am thinking about replacing it with the Netgear-Orbi AX4200 Tri-Band Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System.  I'm not getting much information on the different website reviews as to improved cell service. The house is 2800 sq ft 2 story Center Hall Colonial with basement. Our current router is on a shelf near the ceiling in the front of the house and we lose coverage in our kitchen and mudroom that is approximately 40 feet from the room were the router is located and no coverage in our barn (approximately 100 ft from router).

I need help understanding what would be the best set up for our home configuration.  We have Spectrum cable, a Spectrum modum less than 6 months old.  I've been very happy with the current router until that last year.  Rouks on our TV's to replace Spectrum boxes.

I would appreciate any information or guidance anyone could give me based on the above.

Thank you for our time and God bless!  Walleye446

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router to NETGEAR - Orbi AX4200 Tri-Band Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System (

As @FURRYe38 pointed out, WiFi and cell phone service are entirely separate. (different radio frequencies. different technologies. etc.) Nothing you do with regard to the WiFi network will have any impact on cell phone service.  That being said, some smartphones are able to use WiFi for calling (and maybe SMS text?).  (I am constantly frustrated that my own smartphone does not feature WiFi calling, but I am too cheap to buy a new phone just to get that feature.)  If by "cell phone" you mean "WiFi calling", then the WiFi system may matter.

There is a world of difference between the Nighhawk X6 and Orbi 'mesh' WiFi.

• The Nighthawk X6 is a 'tri-band' router and creates two separate 5G WiFi networks. There is some 'magic' internal to the router to steer devices to one band or the other.See page 74 of the user manual:
    https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R8000/R8000_UM_EN.pdf 
  • The Orbi is also a 'tri-band' system but uses only one 5G band to talk to user devices and uses the other 5G band to talk between the Orbi router and Orbi satellites.  Having no satellites, the X6 is able to create more bandwidth for user devices.  (Realize of course that no matter how much bandwith user devices have on WiFi, they are limited by the ISP internet connection.  What is the benefit of having 2,600mb of capacity internally when the ISP is delivering 200mb? (or 400mb?)
  • The X6 allows users to connect an inexpensive USB hard drive as Readyshare storage. Orbi does not support USB hard drives.
    (My guess is that few customers actually make use of this feature, but if you do please be aware that the Orbi does not support it.)

It is not clear what the concern is about the barn (cell phone service or WiFi coverage).  (again my guess is) the concern is WiFi coverage in the barn.  100' is considered 'far' in WiFi terms.  Some users have reported coverage that far. Most have not. The forum has many posts regarding extending WiFi coverage to outbuildings. (search the forum for 'barn').  A typical Orbi system is not likely to be a good solution by itself for this problem. (Nor is any other vendor's 'mesh WiFi system'.)

Sorry to remble on.  Once I get started.....

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router to NETGEAR - Orbi AX4200 Tri-Band Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System (

Wifi routers and wifi mesh doesn't improve cell phone services. 

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Might be more likely to find more information to a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

As @FURRYe38 pointed out, WiFi and cell phone service are entirely separate. (different radio frequencies. different technologies. etc.) Nothing you do with regard to the WiFi network will have any impact on cell phone service.  That being said, some smartphones are able to use WiFi for calling (and maybe SMS text?).  (I am constantly frustrated that my own smartphone does not feature WiFi calling, but I am too cheap to buy a new phone just to get that feature.)  If by "cell phone" you mean "WiFi calling", then the WiFi system may matter.

There is a world of difference between the Nighhawk X6 and Orbi 'mesh' WiFi.

• The Nighthawk X6 is a 'tri-band' router and creates two separate 5G WiFi networks. There is some 'magic' internal to the router to steer devices to one band or the other.See page 74 of the user manual:
    https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R8000/R8000_UM_EN.pdf 
  • The Orbi is also a 'tri-band' system but uses only one 5G band to talk to user devices and uses the other 5G band to talk between the Orbi router and Orbi satellites.  Having no satellites, the X6 is able to create more bandwidth for user devices.  (Realize of course that no matter how much bandwith user devices have on WiFi, they are limited by the ISP internet connection.  What is the benefit of having 2,600mb of capacity internally when the ISP is delivering 200mb? (or 400mb?)
  • The X6 allows users to connect an inexpensive USB hard drive as Readyshare storage. Orbi does not support USB hard drives.
    (My guess is that few customers actually make use of this feature, but if you do please be aware that the Orbi does not support it.)

It is not clear what the concern is about the barn (cell phone service or WiFi coverage).  (again my guess is) the concern is WiFi coverage in the barn.  100' is considered 'far' in WiFi terms.  Some users have reported coverage that far. Most have not. The forum has many posts regarding extending WiFi coverage to outbuildings. (search the forum for 'barn').  A typical Orbi system is not likely to be a good solution by itself for this problem. (Nor is any other vendor's 'mesh WiFi system'.)

Sorry to remble on.  Once I get started.....

Message 3 of 6
walleye87
Aspirant

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out and also for educating me!  All the Best!  Walleye

Message 4 of 6
walleye87
Aspirant

Thank you so much for your time and help!  All the Best!  Walleye

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Good Luck.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7