Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No devices connecting to satellite

fsa317
Aspirant

No devices connecting to satellite

Been trying to improve my setup.  I had my Orbi in my basement but moved it to a new setup that is like this.

In my basement's "back room" is my fios router.  Hardwired from there is an 8 port switch which feeds a hardwired location on my second floor.  THis is where I have my RBR40 plugged in and setup in AP mode.  This is working great.  The switch also feeds another hardwired location in the opposite corner of the house in the basement where I have an RBS20 satelite that I have hardwired to the ethernet.  In the Orbi tool I can see the RBS20 as a satelite and wired with backhaul good.  However, nothing connects to that satelite even when I'm next to it in the basement.  I'm not sure if that is because it is hardwired but not directly to the RBR40, but its showing up as a satelite.  

One other thing I noticed is that when I connect to orbi via a webrowser the satelite looks to be connected, but via the app it doesn't show the satellite as healthy.

THoughts

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: No devices connecting to satellite

Be sure the RBS are connected behind the RBR:

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?
https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 2 of 6
fsa317
Aspirant

The switch is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFD0SYK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What do you mean by behind?  Right now its basically router --> swtich and then the switch has hardwired connections to both the RBR40 and RBS.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

ALL ethernet RBS connection have to be connected at the RBR, not at the main host router or ISP modem/router. 

Review the link on where the RBS are connected...

Message 4 of 6
fsa317
Aspirant

Ok, that at least explains what is going on.  The challenge I have is that when the RBR was in my basement and i used its ethernet ports "behind" the switch devices would try to wirelessly connect to it with a weak signal (since it was in a back room in the basement).  I'm thinking my best bet may be to NOT try to have the RBS wired.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

ALso its not recommended to have wifi routers in the basement as well. All that concrete and steel inhibits good wifi signal travel. 

Also seems like a LAN wire configuration issue for RBS as well. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7