Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NordVPN and Orbi RBR53 Setup

jonnyhubcap
Guide

NordVPN and Orbi RBR53 Setup

Hi. I'm using NordVPN on my laptops. Have installed an Orbi RBR50 with two satellites (RBR53?), a couple of years ago. For the most part, it works very well throughout the house. However, I have some issues when using the home network from laptops using NordVPN. I'm suspecting it may be an issue with the way I have or have not set up the NordVPN access in the Orbi setup. Can you please help?

1) Can't access the Orbi administrative login http://www.orbilogin.com from my Windows 10 laptop. Getting a "Connect to the Orbi WiFi Network" page, whether in IE or in Chrome. Have deleted browing history, etc., as requested, with no luck. However sign-in works fine from the Orbi app on my iPad or iPhone operating on the home network.

2) When I rest the mouse cursor on the network connection icon on the bar at the bottom of my Windows 10 screen, I get two messages in the little popup message window: at the top is the "Orbi SSID Internet Access" and at the bottom is "Unidentified network No Internet Access."

3) I get random "no internet" messages when trying to connect to some internet client desktop items, such as MicroSoft Store. Not happening now.  However, I do have internet access for purposes of web browsing, etc.

Configuration: Laptop running Windows 10 Pro, fully updated; i5 processor; 12.0 GB; 64K OS; NordVPN just re-installed; Orbi RBR53 (base + 2 nodes); Targus hub connected to laptop; connection from Orbi to laptop running through ethernet (and Targus hub) or Wi-Fi. Broadband wire service connected in home to service provider's provided modem, which is in turn connected to the Orbi by an ethernet cable. The system was set up over a year ago and generally operates very well.

Can you help, please?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: NordVPN and Orbi RBR53 Setup

Message 2 of 8
jonnyhubcap
Guide

Hi, Furrye38. Thanks for your response. I had read the post that you linked, and some of your helpful responses to related questions on other threads. Still, they all left me hanging as to whether and how NordVPN actually works with the Orbi. NordVPN's customer support responded to a similar question with "we don't support the Orbi router."  Orbi's customer support made a similar statement, that "we don't support NordVPN on the Orbi routers." But the post you referrred to, and their answers, all leave open the question of whether and how the Orbi and NordVPN solutions do work together. Is the correct conclusion that one can load NordVPN on one or more multiple individual computers in the mesh network, and effectively have VPN protection for each?

My current  objective is to access one or two Windows10 Pro laptop computers for data or functional operation in my home from a remote Windows10 Pro laptop or iOS mobile device, using 1) NordVPNon on both the remote and home devices, 2) the Orbi mesh router for the home devices, and 3) MicroSoft Windows10 Pro Remote Desk access as the connecting software functionality.  Any reason that this cannot work, and will the use of the NordVPN on the remote and local devices provide added VPN privacy protection to the communications? Looks like NordVPN requires one home laptop to be set on UDP, and the other on TCP. Remote Desktop appears to require a standard RDP port on the router forwarded to each home laptop.  Prudent practice requires very stout passwords and user names on the home laptops, and maybe a designated IP address to provide a static address for the NordVPN connection, to discourage, avoid, or thwart DOS(?) attacks.  What do you think? I'm not an IT person, just an intrepid (foolhardy) user with scars, but still willing to push the "standard" envelope of several products already in use, for desired connectivity and privacy results.  I've been using NordVPN for a year or more on laptops and mobile devices that are connected to the Internet through the Orbi mesh network.  So, they somehow function together, or don't interfere. But how does that apply to the use case proposed above?  Sorry to be so longwinded. An amateur's defect. Thanks for any light you or any reader can shed! 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You might give OpenVPN a try instead of NordVPN. 

Message 4 of 8
jonnyhubcap
Guide

Dear Furrye38 - I take your point, and thanks for the response. Interesting that there is an OpenVPN link on the NordVPN site.  I’ll continue with NordVPN for a bit to see if it works for my purposes. Still wondering about what’s protected and what’s not with the installation on the laptops rather than the router.  Confusing to me, and I’d like to understand better. But if this doesn’t work, your answer seems the best solution. Again, thanks for all your help, on this post and others.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes if you find out anything. 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 8
jonnyhubcap
Guide

Dear FURRYe38 -

After trying several angles with both NordVPN and Orbi support, the only confirmed answer that seems to work with both NordVPN and Orbi is to buy another router/modem (e.g., a NordVPN-configured Netgear router) that does work with NordVPN, Then the alternative is (1) put the non-Orbi router/modem between the Orbi and the ATT broadband, so that anything connected to the Orbi accesses NordVPN through the daisy-chained routers (my preference), or (2) install the non-Orbi it in a dual-router implementation in parallel with the Orbi, so that the devices on the non-Orbi router are protected by the Nord installation at that router, and the devices connected to the Orbi router are protected by the NordVPN client software on the device.  That’s another $300 bucks and another implementation, not really an Orbi solution.

So your original answer, to install some other, compatible, OpenVPN provider on the Orbi looks like the right answer. Not a NordVPN solution, but workable. And, of course, you’re not surprised at all, right? Thanks for staying with all of the wandering around! 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

If that case if your going to use a different router in between the ISP modem and Orbi, would be to configure the Orbi for AP mode so you don't have multiple routers on the same line. 

Thanks for letting us know. 

Good Luck. 

@jonnyhubcap wrote:

Dear FURRYe38 -

After trying several angles with both NordVPN and Orbi support, the only confirmed answer that seems to work with both NordVPN and Orbi is to buy another router/modem (e.g., a NordVPN-configured Netgear router) that does work with NordVPN, Then the alternative is (1) put the non-Orbi router/modem between the Orbi and the ATT broadband, so that anything connected to the Orbi accesses NordVPN through the daisy-chained routers (my preference), or (2) install the non-Orbi it in a dual-router implementation in parallel with the Orbi, so that the devices on the non-Orbi router are protected by the Nord installation at that router, and the devices connected to the Orbi router are protected by the NordVPN client software on the device.  That’s another $300 bucks and another implementation, not really an Orbi solution.

So your original answer, to install some other, compatible, OpenVPN provider on the Orbi looks like the right answer. Not a NordVPN solution, but workable. And, of course, you’re not surprised at all, right? Thanks for staying with all of the wandering around! 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7