Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI, Cost effective expansion - 2 RBK53s?

ModManDoc
Follower

ORBI, Cost effective expansion - 2 RBK53s?

I have a difficult home to have complete wifi coverage. Currently I have 3 ASUS routers using their AiMesh system over ethernet and I have not been happy with the coverage. Also, AiMesh seems to not be very reliable - i.e. dropped aignals. I have a 4th router that I connect to a decicated VPN in my office. I was looking at options with Orbi - can I purchase 2 RBK53s and dasiy chain the 4 satelites to one router and use the second router as my dedicated office VPN router?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, of course, you can use the satellites from one RBK53 set with the router from an another.  Although satellites are packaged in a box with a router, they do not "pair" with the router until you physically do so. (One at a time.)  At Amazon's current pricing (even better at Costco?), it is actually less expensive to purchase an RBK53 package than two RBS50 satellites, so the extra router is "free".

I do use VPN, so I am not competent to advise on whether you benefit from having one Orbi to handle your entire house WiFi and another to handle your office by setting up a VPN. 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Just FYI, the RBR units do NOT support being used as a satellite, just as a main router or wireless AP. 

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

We're all having trouble with our keyboards today.  My reply should have read, "I do NOT use VPN" and Furry's should have read, "RBR units do NOT support".  And, that is exactly correct.  The RBR can ONLY be a "router", never a satellite.

That said, what he proposed was to (1)  save a couple of dollars by purchasing the RBK53 package instead of two additional satellites, and (2) deploy the second router as a router to support a VPN for his "office".  He didn't specify exactly how he intended to configure the two routers.  i.e. maybe connect both to his modem using a simple switch or connect one router behind the other with an ethernet cable.  The VPN part is where I have nothing to contribute.

Message 4 of 6
ekhalil
Master

@ModManDoc wrote:

............. can I purchase 2 RBK53s and dasiy chain the 4 satelites to one router and use the second router as my dedicated office VPN router?

Totally gree with what @CrimpOn said. Yes, you can use all 4 satellites from the two RBK packages and connect them all to one router. You can use the other router for a dedicated VPN towards your office VPN server. You need to sort out how to provide internet to the two routers.

Message 5 of 6
st_shaw
Master

@ModManDoc wrote:

I have a 4th router that I connect to a decicated VPN in my office. I was looking at options with Orbi - can I purchase 2 RBK53s and dasiy chain the 4 satelites to one router and use the second router as my dedicated office VPN router?

It's not clear what you mean by, "I have a 4th router that I connect to a decicated VPN in my office."  In any case, note that the Orbi RBR50 router has no support for being a VPN client, as would be required for connecting Orbi as a VPN endpoint to another router on the Internet.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7