Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBK23 VLAN tagging / setup for both internet and iptv - Bell Fibe

nateypants
Aspirant

ORBI RBK23 VLAN tagging / setup for both internet and iptv - Bell Fibe

Hello - I am considering replacement of the TP-Link Deco X20 device with the Netgear RBK23 Tri-band mesh wifi. We are on Bell Fibe IPTV & internet services in Ontario, Canada. What I would like to do is to the following:

- Remove home hub 3000

- Connected a media converter with SFP slot to the fiber line (e.g. 10GTek Media Converter )

- Connect ethernet from media converter to Netgear Orbi RBK23

- Setup wireless VLAN tagging for VLAN 36 (IPTV) & VLAN 35 (internet)

Is this possible with the current Orbi RBK23 network options accessable from the web interface or app? Any other considerations? If Orbi RBK23 is not the right device, then what is for a 3000 sq foot home (approx 1000 per floor) to ensure no deadzones and minimize # of devices?

Thank you for your help!

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RBK23 VLAN tagging / setup for both internet and iptv - Bell Fibe

Message 8 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Any VLAN tagging would be done from the RBRs web page. 

Review the user manual for setup information. 

Do a search here in the foruns for VLAN posts. 

Message 2 of 11
nateypants
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Any VLAN tagging would be done from the RBRs web page. 

Review the user manual for setup information. 

Do a search here in the foruns for VLAN posts. 

What is not clear to me is whether VLAN tagging is for a specific LAN port on the Orbi device or a specific SSID or broadly for wireless connections? Any additional information on this point?

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe the VLAN tagging is for only WAN side configurations. 

Message 4 of 11
nateypants
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I believe the VLAN tagging is for only WAN side configurations. 

Sorry, I'm not clear on the response. To be more direct: once a VLAN is assigned, will a specific Ethernet port on the Orbi device now be tagged with the VLAN, or is the current wireless network now tagged with the VLAN? Another way: once VLAN tagging is enabled, do I need to plug my IPTV recieved via ethernet cable to the ORBI, or can it be connected wirelessly?

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try wired first to see if the configuration works. Then try wireless.

Might review this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-AC3000-RBR50-and-IPTV-via-Telenor/m-p/1694668

There maybe other VLAN configuration posts as well. 

Message 6 of 11
nateypants
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would try wired first to see if the configuration works. Then try wireless.

Might review this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-AC3000-RBR50-and-IPTV-via-Telenor/m-p/1694668

There maybe other VLAN configuration posts as well. 

I am unable to find a post that clearly statest wireless VLAN tagging is available with latest Orbi RBK50 (or other) firmware. That is the reason for my post 🙂 The above only *asks* about a wired configuration. Additional hardware will be required (i.e. media converter) and so, before I go there, I would like to know what is *currently* possible with VLAN tagging over a wireless network using the Orbi devices.

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 8 of 11
nateypants
Aspirant

Than

@FURRYe38 wrote:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/But-Orbi-DOES-have-Vlan-tagging/m-p/1808711

Thank you. Unless something has changed with the firware since 2019, then this statement seems to sum it up from the link you posted: "As for managed switch I have a catalyst 3750 running happily with my Orbi in AP mode however you can’t assigned vlans to managed wireless clients like you could with a higher end AP such as something made by Aruba or Cisco."

Thanks for your help! Hope that the Netgear team will provide for VLAN tagging of multiple SSID's/wireless clients in the future!

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 10 of 11
schumaku
Guru

The IPTV VLAN should be bridged to a router (or more than one) port - there you can connect (by cables) the IPTV boxe(s) to. The IP addresses are coming from the ISP IPTV network, along with the video multicast streams.

The Internet VLAN will be bridged to a group where NAT will be handled. Here the Orbi behind of the NAT routing, DHCP will issue private LAN subnet adresses.

Having both over the Orbi backhaul is in my understanding not possibe, as tere is no VLAN support, while the Internet and the IPTV VLANs on the ISP side present two individual networks. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7