Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR50 SLOW SPEED

DHARMESHSHAH
Aspirant

ORBI RBR50 SLOW SPEED

Hello All,

I am currently using Netgear Orbi RBR 50 which is connected to a Fiber Modem. The speed provided by ISP is 1GBPS.

While i am getting around 980MBPS download and 500MBPS uploads using wired connection.

However, while on Wifi 5Ghz i am getting max of 200 MBPS and while being connected on 2.4Ghz i am getting max of 10-20Mbps download speeds. This is irrespective of being connected to primary router of satellite. Same speeds if i am latched to either of the routers.

My Firmware version is V2.5.2.4

Hardware version: RBR 50

Backhaul status is Good.

Other status:

Daisy Chain: Enabled

Implicit Beamforming: Enabled

Mu-Mimo: Enabled

Fast Roaming: Enabled

Please advice how i can increase my wifi speeds.

Thanks you in advance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: ORBI RBR50 SLOW SPEED

Theres a few optimizations you can make but you might be bumping up against your device/area's capabilities. 

The orbi's aren't going to be the fastest devices out there because they're a mesh system. They're designed for higher average throughput over the whole home. You'd see faster peaks on a single router flagship solution. But it'd be slower at distances. 

A couple things. 

1. home size. How big is your home and how many satellites do you have? 

2. What is your home made of on the interior? certain materials block wifi better than others. 

3. How far apart is the satellites from the router/each other? 30ft is the minimum distance they need

4. have you tried changing wireless channels on the 2.4ghz? There could be interfrence and 2.4ghz is much more sensitive to interfrence. 

5. 2.4ghz is slow. Its baseline isn't fast if you live in an area with congestions (apartment, condo, townhome, houses close to each other)

6. What speeds do you get hardwired into the router and then satellites? it lets you check the backhaul speed. 

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

There is a more recent FW update that you can try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

If not, I would downgrade to v16.

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

@DHARMESHSHAH wrote:

Hello All,

I am currently using Netgear Orbi RBR 50 which is connected to a Fiber Modem. The speed provided by ISP is 1GBPS.

While i am getting around 980MBPS download and 500MBPS uploads using wired connection.

However, while on Wifi 5Ghz i am getting max of 200 MBPS and while being connected on 2.4Ghz i am getting max of 10-20Mbps download speeds. This is irrespective of being connected to primary router of satellite. Same speeds if i am latched to either of the routers.

My Firmware version is V2.5.2.4

Hardware version: RBR 50

Backhaul status is Good.

Other status:

Daisy Chain: Enabled

Implicit Beamforming: Enabled

Mu-Mimo: Enabled

Fast Roaming: Enabled

Please advice how i can increase my wifi speeds.

Thanks you in advance.

Message 3 of 5
DHARMESHSHAH
Aspirant

@plemans 

Replies to your questions below:

Home Size - 2000 Sqft - Ground + 1 Floor

Material - Concrete / Cement

Location of Orbi - Primary on 1st Floor & Satellite on Ground. Distance around 20 Ft. They both are placed centrally on respective floors. 

Wireless channels - I used netgear wifi analyser which suggested to move to channel 1. Which i have done by i dont see any imporvement. 5Ghz is on channel 40. Infact the speeds today are even worse. I am getting hardly 50MBPS on 5Ghz right below the router. 

I get aroung 900Mbps hardwired to either the base / satellite.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

@DHARMESHSHAH wrote:

@plemans 

Replies to your questions below:

Home Size - 2000 Sqft - Ground + 1 Floor

Material - Concrete / Cement----Literally one of the biggest blockers of wifi signal. 

Location of Orbi - Primary on 1st Floor & Satellite on Ground. Distance around 20 Ft. They both are placed centrally on respective floors. 

Wireless channels - I used netgear wifi analyser which suggested to move to channel 1. Which i have done by i dont see any imporvement. 5Ghz is on channel 40. Infact the speeds today are even worse. I am getting hardly 50MBPS on 5Ghz right below the router. ----with the cement floor in between the router and testing device? I'm actually surprised you get a signal. See above, cement blocks wifi to an amazing extent. And floors tend to be worse than walls as they tend to be thicker. 

I get aroung 900Mbps hardwired to either the base / satellite.-----If the satellites isn't hardwired in, I'd be doubting that speed. I didn't ever get that off one of my satellites unless it was hardwired into the router.  How are you testing the speed. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7