Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR50

kitng98
Aspirant

ORBI RBR50

Hello all:

I am looking for some help / hints / suggestions / pointers for my problem.

Currently I have an ORBI RBR50 (router) and another ORB RBR50 (acting as a wireless satellite) and 3 ORBI plug-ins wireless satellites.  My old house is build with stone/blocks and really reduced my WiFi range (hence the multiple satellites).

I have a RING doorbell and 3 RING cameras.  One of the RING camer at the side of my gargae is NOT getting consistent WiFi signals and ORBI app shows POOR CONNECTION. 

I am thinking of relocating the second ORBI RBR50 to the garage and connect it to my router via ethernet cable into the scond ORBI's LAN port so that it acts as an access point.  

1. Will this new configuration improve my WiFi? 

2. Do I have to do any configuration settings changes to make the second ORBI as an Access Point ?

Please help ...

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ORBI RBR50

This is a complicated situation.  An Orbi "router", i.e. RBR50 cannot be a satellite.  iI just cannot.  If it is wired to an Orbi router, it will create a separate WiFi network of its own.  You can give this new network a network SSID and password identical to the primary router, but they will not become "one system."  Never.

So, yes, it is a great idea to locate an access point in the garage close to the Ring doorbell, and hard wire it to the Orbi router.  Your second RBR50 can be configured to be an Access Point (AP) on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, the second menu item "Router / AP Mode".  You could also use any old access point you have lying around and wire it into the Orbi router.

Many of us are frustrated (and mystified) that Netgear created what appear to be identical units (RBR50 and RBS50) and "locked in" their functionality.

Message 2 of 6
ekhalil
Master

@kitng98 wrote:

........ and another ORB RBR50 (acting as a wireless satellite) .......

Is the seond unit an RBR50 or RBS50?

If RBR50, how are you today using that as a "wireless satellite"?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

User may have meant to say AP mode rather then satellite. 

Message 4 of 6
kitng98
Aspirant

My mistake - the second unit was RBS50 .. I was confused because both the router and satellite look identical!!!

BTW - what’s the differences between RBS50 and the plugins satellites??
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

No LAN ports on the plug in satellites. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements