Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Obri Fee

Obri Fee

I just got off the phone with Orbi support because I can get my new outdoor unit to sync up (solid magenta no matter what i try) the tech support person said I had to pay them $100 or they will shut down my orbi system.  I didn't spend over $600 on this to have them try and steal another $100 after the fact.  Is this a real thing that no one is talking about or was the guy on the phone trying to make $100 of me???

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Obri Fee

That was a scam.  Netgear will never "shut down your Orbi."  If you search the forum, you will find numerous instances of people finding "Netgear Support" telephone numbers that are NOT Netgear.

Message 2 of 10

I told them to let me talk to a manger and they said they would call me back.  So the only info they have on me is a name, email, and phone number.  Guess I'll make a new post on here to find some help with my RBS50Y issue.

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Netgear provides 90 days of complimentary (free) support for products.  You start the process at this web site: https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx  Notice that they expect you to register the product.

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You can always contact NG support or open a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

This is official NG support. 

@ChargerMan426 wrote:

I told them to let me talk to a manger and they said they would call me back.  So the only info they have on me is a name, email, and phone number.  Guess I'll make a new post on here to find some help with my RBS50Y issue.

Message 5 of 10

So I new they would charge for tech support but I had just bought this new satellite so one would assume that would get 90 days support right?  The comment about them shutting down my network if I didnt pay was what sounded like a super scam. 

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you register thru that link? I woudn't imaging if you contacted someone thru that link that they would say that. IF they did, that would not be NG policy. 

@Blanca_O 

@ChristineT 

@ChargerMan426 wrote:

So I new they would charge for tech support but I had just bought this new satellite so one would assume that would get 90 days support right?  The comment about them shutting down my network if I didnt pay was what sounded like a super scam. 

Message 7 of 10

I haven't registered anything.  Just set up my system about 8 months ago and now trying to add an outdoor satellite I just bought.

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, well, if you didn't register with that link, you can and you'd get official support for your RBSY unit. Once you enter in the RBSY info, it will let you know what support is available. If you just got the RBSY if yes, it's under warranty. 

Message 9 of 10

@CrimpOn wrote:

That was a scam.  Netgear will never "shut down your Orbi."  If you search the forum, you will find numerous instances of people finding "Netgear Support" telephone numbers that are NOT Netgear.

Oh so true.

Netgear itself does not provide paid for support. It farms that out to GearHead Technical Support.

GearHead Support

Any numbers found with a Google search are scams.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7