Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Obri RBR50 Default Gateway and Invaild IP Config issue that only lasts minutes at random times

ths531
Aspirant

Obri RBR50 Default Gateway and Invaild IP Config issue that only lasts minutes at random times

We have had an Orbi routing for a little over a year and things have never been perfect but at least before now the annoyance didn't lead me to post on a forum. Recently a problem that cropped up that happened once before but it eventually went away on its own. At random times the Orbi router will kick us off the internet just long enough to disconnect us from everything and then go right back to normal. The Windows trouble shooter will list:

The Default gateway is not available
"Local Area Connection" doesn't jave a vaild IP Configuration

and 99 times out of 100 it will pop us back on to the internet without me having to leave my chair. I did mess around with the settings a bunch to try and get the satellite to work as a mesh properly (which is still an issue but not nearly as much of an annoyance) but I just factory reset everything and I am still having the same problem. Any suggestions? Thank you for your time.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
ths531
Aspirant

Re: Obri RBR50 Default Gateway and Invaild IP Config issue that only lasts minutes at random times

After a month of trying everything under sun, I finally call the cable company to see if they will come out again. They decided to redo all of the connections (Im not sure what happened during the first visit) and the problem has seemed to finally cease. I wish I had a more exciting conclusion, but fingers crossed it stays fixed. Thank you for time everyone.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Obri RBR50 Default Gateway and Invaild IP Config issue that only lasts minutes at random times

This is "very strange". The next time this happens, it would be useful to know what the Windows computer has for networking values.

i.e. open a DOS window (Command prompt) and type:

ipconfig /all

It will list the configuration for all of the Windows adapters.  The one we care about is the one that is connected to the Orbi. Should be either the ethernet adapter or the WiFi adapter.

It's also useful to know the firmware version that is running on the Orbi.  This is found on the orbi web interface Home Page, in the upper right corner of the page.  I am not suggesting that you do anything about the firmware.  Only that sometimes it provides relevant information.

Is this Orbi configured as a "router" or as an "Access Point" (AP)?  This matters because if the Orbi is a "router", then it will be supplying IP information (including the gateway IP) to the computer.  If the Orbi is an AP, then this information comes from a router that the Orbi is connected to.

Message 2 of 10
ths531
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick reply

I ran the command prompt right after the internet seemed to come back up, if this doesnt give the info needed, then Ill try to be quicker on the draw (attached image).

The Firmware version is V2.5.1.8. After the factory reset I did a firmware update.

The last question did bring back a memory of when I was first setting it up, its acting as a router, but the modem we have is a Netgear N600 Wifi Cable Modem Router Model:C3700. I remember disabling the router part of the modem, but could that possibly be where the problem lies?

Message 3 of 10
ths531
Aspirant

Any potential answers?

Message 4 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry I missed the response.  What the screen shot appears to show is that the Windows computer is connected directly to the internet.  It appears to be getting the public IP address intended for your house router.

If the C3700 is in "bridge mode" and the Orbi is in "AP" mode, there is huge conflict over which device is "in charge".

The Orbi should be in "router" mode, keeping the 69.204 public IP address for itself and generating private IP addresses for all the devices attached to it.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Your C series modem should be bridged if you use the Orbi in router mode. This would be your main problem to correct first. 

@ths531 wrote:

Thank you for the quick reply

I ran the command prompt right after the internet seemed to come back up, if this doesnt give the info needed, then Ill try to be quicker on the draw (attached image).

The Firmware version is V2.5.1.8. After the factory reset I did a firmware update.

The last question did bring back a memory of when I was first setting it up, its acting as a router, but the modem we have is a Netgear N600 Wifi Cable Modem Router Model:C3700. I remember disabling the router part of the modem, but could that possibly be where the problem lies?

Message 6 of 10
ths531
Aspirant

I combined the two screenshots I took together, and I beleive these are the right settings. But of course now the problem has stopped and I havent been able to recreate it. This mimics the first time it happened. It went away for for 6 months before popping back up again.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats the configuration you need. 

Try powering OFF the modem and RBR for 1 minute, then back ON with the modem first then the RBR next time this appears. 

Also try a factory reset on the RBR. 

There is newer FW available as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

Message 8 of 10
ths531
Aspirant

After a month of trying everything under sun, I finally call the cable company to see if they will come out again. They decided to redo all of the connections (Im not sure what happened during the first visit) and the problem has seemed to finally cease. I wish I had a more exciting conclusion, but fingers crossed it stays fixed. Thank you for time everyone.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like it was on the ISP side of things. Glad they got it fixed finally. LOL

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7