× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Obri RBR50 and 1 Satellite?

LilSnoop40
Aspirant

Obri RBR50 and 1 Satellite?

Hello, I have a router in the house and a satellite in the garage.  nothing connects to the satellite and everything goes on the router.  i would like the items in the garges to connect on the satellite but not sure how to make this happen.  i have a wifi garage door opener in and a ring stick up cam and that is the purpose of the satellite in the garage.  they are both on the same firmware v2.3.5.30. i have attached a few settings if that helps, maybe they are wrong.

please help

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
LilSnoop40
Aspirant

not sure why only one picture posted. there should 2 now

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Are devices close to the RBR then the RBS? 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. You might try turning down the wifi power on the radios from 100% to 75% or 50% to test this out.

Try disabling the following and see:
IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Over all client devices will determine where they connect too, not the Orbi. 

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

It could be that the router "powers up" first and devices that are actively looking for a connection see the router and connect before the satellite has come alive.  One test is to reboot a device in the garage and see if this time it connects to the satellite.

The satellite IS showing a "good" connection to the router, correct?

Message 4 of 7
LilSnoop40
Aspirant

Re: Obri RBK50 and 1 Satellite?

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

ARRIS SB8200 Cable Modem | DOCSIS 3.1

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Router

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

57ft

Are devices close to the RBR then the RBS? 

i might had the wrong number of the model its the Obri RBK50.  most items are in the house.  i put statellite in the garage for 2 items

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

when i change the 2.4 channel to "6" i get this message "Per Wi-Fi Alliance guidelines for 40 Mhz and 20 Mhz coexistence, even if you select "Up to 400Mbps" mode, your product’s service rate might drop to 20 Mhz. This typically corresponds to 192 Mbps performance."

Try enabling MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. You might try turning down the wifi power on the radios from 100% to 75% or 50% to test this out.

Try disabling the following and see:
IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Over all client devices will determine where they connect too, not the Orbi. 

Also prior to put the satellite in the garage i could get a slow speed on the garage about 40, i put the satellite in the garage and it synced fine and i did a speed test from my phone and got 340. i used the orbi app and saw my iphone was the only thing connected to it when i did the test. so i know it's synced and working out there.

Are my pictures that i attached settings ok?

Message 5 of 7
LilSnoop40
Aspirant

i just put the one from the garage in the up stairs so now i have one on the first floor and the second. again how do device connect to both not just one?

wonder what i am missing

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@LilSnoop40 wrote:

Also prior to put the satellite in the garage i could get a slow speed on the garage about 40, i put the satellite in the garage and it synced fine and i did a speed test from my phone and got 340. i used the orbi app and saw my iphone was the only thing connected to it when i did the test. so i know it's synced and working out there.

When the satellite was in the garage, and the smartphone was connected to the satellite, did you restart the garage door opener and Ring doorbell?  In California these days, the building code requires that garage door openers have a "battery backup" that will open the door a couple of times during an electrical outage.  (Mine is old, and does not.  I can reach the 'emergency' strap if I need to.)  If yours has no battery, then you could have unplugged the garage door opener, count to (some number), then plug it back in and see where it connects.  The Ring doorbell is harder to "power cycle" because it is probably wired to the bell power supply in a closet somewhere.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series