Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Obri RBR50 and Satellite

kai00051
Aspirant

Obri RBR50 and Satellite

I have the Orbi RBR50 and one satellite.  I have the satellite hard-wired to the RBR50.  Is there a benefit to that or should I connect them wirelessly?

I have a 3,000 SF home and these devices seem to struggle hitting all parts of my house.  Right now, the RBR50 is connected in my basement but I hvae it right under the floor joists.  The satellite is hard-wired and is on the opposite side of the house on the 1st FL.  

My cameras/doorbell indicate weak wifi signal, and signal in my garage is weak as well.

Wondering how I can take full advantage of the Orbi mesh system, or if my expectations are just too high.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can use wire connected RBS. How I have mine connected. 

However basements are not recommended places for the main wifi router. Concrete and steel will be problematic for wifi signal travel. 

Any chance you can get the RBR moved up to the main floor would be recommended. 

I have my RBR up on a 2nd floor and a wired RBS in my basement. Works well. 

Message 2 of 7
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Hardwiring the backhaul to your satellite is better than using the WiFi backhaul.

As for your connectivity, I experience this same issue with IoT devices (IP Cameras, smart garage door openers, smart plugs, etc). Whenever the router reboots, its WiFi is turned on before the Satellites WiFi. This race condition will cause IoT devices to connect to the first signal they see rather than waiting to see if a stronger signal is available from a closer satellite. The only workaround so far is to power-cycle the IoT device to get it to search for a new WiFi signal. Unfortunately it is not at all convenient, especially when I need a ladder to unplug a security camera or smart garage door opener. IoT devices do not keep searching for the best WiFi signal like smart phones and tablets do (devices expected to roam).

Suggestions to reduce power on the 2.4GHz frequency really doesn't work unless I could reduce the power on the router but not on the satellites. Adjusting the power level affects the router and all satellites.  You could try reducing the 2.4GHz signal power to see if it helps in your situation.

Implicit Beamforming nor Fast Roaming affect the race condition of IoT devices binding to the router before any satellites (provided the routers signal is strong enough). This race condition is due to the radio being turned on for the router before the satellites, thus clients bind to the first strong-enough radio signal they see rather than to a closer satellite.

I can understand that the 5GHz backhaul has to be enabled first. Once the backhaul is established, then the 2.4GHz and 5GHz client radios should be enabled simultaneously on the router and all satellites. I suspect NG is instead enabling the backhaul and all client radios on the router simultaneously, long before the satellites backhaul and client radio is working, thus causing this race condition.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 7
kai00051
Aspirant

Thank you.  I'm considering a new placement of everything already, so maybe I'll draw something up and give it a shot.  Ultimately, both on 1st floor, opposite sides of the house (wired or wireless to satellite) I think would produce better anyway - you think?

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, first floor will be great for both. 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

@kai00051 wrote:

Thank you.  I'm considering a new placement of everything already, so maybe I'll draw something up and give it a shot.  Ultimately, both on 1st floor, opposite sides of the house (wired or wireless to satellite) I think would produce better anyway - you think?

Message 5 of 7
kai00051
Aspirant

Very helpful, thank you.  In my new setup, I will hardwire the router on 1st FL and then wirelessly connect the satellite on the other side of the house(ish) as I don't have hardwire capabilities there.  Hoping to see better performance and not worse.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You should be fine wirelessly. Wireless back haul connection rates are up to 1733Mpbs vs 1000Mpbs. However wirelessly may not see full speed due to building materials and distances. Speeds should be good though. I 've had mine at 40 feet wirelessly and speeds are good there. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7