× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OpenVPN v3 on Windows 11

Marrik
Aspirant

OpenVPN v3 on Windows 11

Hi all,

I have an Orbi RBS50 router (running the latest firmware) on which I activated VPN. On my iPhone I can connect just fine to it.

Now I want my laptop (Windows 11 Pro) to connect to it so I downloaded OpenVPN v3 and tried to import the "client.ovpn" file, which I exported from my router. The import fails with the message "TAP mode is not supported". 

I've read on the OpenVPN forum that v3 will not support TAP mode, only OpenVPN v2 supports it. So I downloaded v2 and tried to import the ovpn file again. This time that works however, when want to connect to my VPN, OpenVPN v2 says "no VPN servers found". 😬

So my next step was try using the default Windows 11 VPN client. This connection needs a certificate so I imported the ca and client certificates but they do not show up in the W11 VPN certificate list. 😒

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks!

KR, Marrik

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Marrik
Aspirant

Re: OpenVPN v3 on Windows 11

No, not any website can be opened, including the local one.

No response from any device I tried to ping.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact OpenVPN about. 

Message 2 of 11
Marrik
Aspirant

That might be a good option. 😀

Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, the version of OpenVPN server on the Orbi router is so old that the default ovpn file for Windows is a tap connection.

One solution is to modify the ovpn file and change it to a tun connection.

client

dev tun

proto udp

dev-node NETGEAR-VPN

remote xxxxxxx.mynetgear.com 12973

resolv-retry infinite

nobind

persist-key

persist-tun

ca ca.crt

cert client.crt

key client.key

cipher AES-128-CBC

comp-lzo

verb 0

sndbuf 393216

rcvbuf 393216

route-method exe

I use both OpenVPN 2.6.8 and OpenVPN 3.4.3 on Windows.

Message 4 of 11
Marrik
Aspirant

Hi CrimpOn,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try that but now OpenVPN v3 gives me this error message:

option_error: sorry, unsuported options present in configuration: UNKNOWN/UNSUPPORTED OPTION (dev-node)

The dev-node refers to "NETGEAR-VPN" and I do have a VPN network connection in my list of connections with this name.

Message 5 of 11
Marrik
Aspirant

Okay, did some more testing based on the last reply. 

I removed the dev-node and set the "dev" parameter to "tun".

Now I can connect using OpenVPN v3 however, I cannot access any website (no internet) or my home network.

So some progress but not there yet. 😁

Message 6 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Which option is selected on the OpenVPN setup?

CrimpOn_0-1705520540722.png

What IP address shows up for the VPN device in Attached Devices?

Because the VPN is on a different IP subnet, the Orbi LAN devices have to be accessed by IP address.  Any sort of broadcast technology, such as Bonjour will fail because broadcast packets do not go across a tunnel. (That's the major difference with tap connections.)

Message 7 of 11
Marrik
Aspirant

I have tried both "Auto" and "All sites on the internet & Home network". No success. 🙄

The VPN device gets 192.168.2.2 as IP address. That seems to be correct. If I connect my iPhone it gets this same IP address and that works just fine.

Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Can a web browser open http://192.168.1.1 ?

Are there any devices on the LAN that respond to ICMP (ping?)

(Windows Firewall, for example, must be told to respond to ICMP.  Some devices, such as my Epson Printer, Sonos 1, and Raspberry Pi do.  The Echo Dot speaker, however, does not.

Message 9 of 11
Marrik
Aspirant

No, not any website can be opened, including the local one.

No response from any device I tried to ping.

Message 10 of 11
Marrik
Aspirant

I seems that I will not get this working so I am going to switch to a more modern router. 🙂

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7