Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Options to expand RBR50

kinwolf
Guide

Options to expand RBR50

Hi, many months ago I emailed 3 times netgear to see what option we had to expand an RBR50+RBS50 network, since we were planning to finish the basement.   I received zero replies.  So, I won't lose more time trying to receive an answerfrom them and ask here instead. 

The basement is now finished and, like I thought,  some areas do not receive a good signal, so I'd like an extra satelitte.  The problem is that there are no RBS50 for sale anywhere here.(there were none for sale even back when I got the kit last year)

But, I see new "Orbi satelittes" type routers in stores, but they are for the new wifi6.  Can they work with the RBR50?  I saw nothing on the packaging about that.

I did see there are RBS50 from the netgrear online store, but I highly prefer to buy locally for easy exchange if something is wrong upon opening.

Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Options to expand RBR50

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AC products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 2 of 6
kinwolf
Guide

*sigh* I was sure I'D selected the Orbi forums in the dropdown menu.  Since I see no way to move the message myself,   I'll repost there.  thanks.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I've asked for this thread to be moved as well. 

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Options to add, if available to purchase:

RBS20, RBW30, RBS40v(oice), EX7500, EX7700 or EX8000 though the EX won't integrate like RBS will, they will function as extenders with Orbi systems and provide additional coverage. 

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@kinwolf wrote:

But, I see new "Orbi satelittes" type routers in stores, but they are for the new wifi6.  Can they work with the RBR50?  I saw nothing on the packaging about that.

I did see there are RBS50 from the netgrear online store, but I highly prefer to buy locally for easy exchange if something is wrong upon opening.

Any of the original residential Orbi satellites will sync with the RBR50 router:

RBS50

RBS40

RBS20

BRW30

RBS40V

Wanting easy product return is a valid concern, as Netgear direct sales have a dubious reputation in that regard.  At the same time, supplies of a product designed in 2016 are almost non-existant since Netgear has 'moved on' to newer models.  I have had good luck on eBay.

If the only place you can find one is Netgear direct sales, I would use a credit card and dispute the charge if it doesn't work out of the box and Netgear isn't helpful.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7