Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi 54 RBR50 AC3000 Blocking Websites as insecure

jefferis
Guide

Orbi 54 RBR50 AC3000 Blocking Websites as insecure

I am having issues with my laptop and then my phone using wifi to browse.  The problem is intermittent and not at the same time on all devices.  Suddenly my mac laptop will start blocking all websites saying that the connection is not private or secure.  At other times my iPhone will get blocked with a message that the router doesn't trust the certificate.  However, it doesn't 'happen on my desktop which is Ethernet connected.    This is a strange weird thing that just started happening.  Turning off antivirus, safeboot, and firewalls does not fix the problem when it starts.    Any ideas what is going on?   Are the Netgear servers messed up ? IMG_0253.jpg

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Might disable IP address Tracking on the Mac. 

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Is the desktop computer also an Apple product?

Apple has been aggressive in activating a WiFi mode to randomize the device MAC address, rather than using the actual hardware MAC address.  Many people find that going into Settings and disabling this feature when at home makes use of Apple product more reliable.

Also, that WARNING Notice is accurate, but irrelevant.

• The http version of the Orbi web interface is (by definition) "insecure" because it is not encrypted.
  • The https version of the Orbi web interface is encrypted, but the SSL certificate is "self-signed", which web browsers also complain about.

Click on the "More Details" link and then tell the browser, "Go there anyway" and it will quit complaining.

Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@CrimpOn wrote:

Click on the "More Details" link and then tell the browser, "Go there anyway" and it will quit complaining.

Does this work? Would be interesting to see subsequent messages - if any.

Permitting the router is not configured to block unknown MAC addresses, and the DHCP has enough spare slots in the DHCP pool, the randomized address will simply request yet another available LAN IP address - and the travel continues. Leaving it unclear what is -really- the cause.

Unfortunately, some admins (and some OS/browser makers) are hunting for security at each price, leaving big costs to the users, without being helpful for the users.

Message 4 of 9
jefferis
Guide

Go there anyway created a loop back to the same message. 

Message 5 of 9
jefferis
Guide

So the problem stops happening suddenly,  so I can't test these solutions at present, but thank you all for the steps.    It may be that private relay stops things when the iCloud servers are not working. I have turned that off and see the option to turn off randomizing wifi MAC and IP address tracking protection.   Those will be my next steps if the problem recurs. 

FYI    Firmware is current on the Orbi 50 system, 5G    ---  2.7xx  

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure your using the latest FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Wi-Fi-5-AC-and-Orbi-with/New-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-...

Contact Apple support for any odd issues with there services if seen. 

Glad it's working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@jefferis wrote:

That's not a message from Orbi - much more simply the Webbrowser saying I'm unwilling to talk to the server.

Message 8 of 9

@schumaku wrote:

@jefferis wrote:

That's not a message from Orbi - much more simply the Webbrowser saying I'm unwilling to talk to the server.

Exactly.

For the benefit of anyone who stumbles on this conversation after reading the subject, it is important to point that the basic premise of this query is wrong.

The Orbi 54  RBR50 AC3000 is not Blocking Websites as insecure.

It is the browser that has got its knickers in a twist.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7