Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi + Airport Express Airplay issues

Gbachiu
Follower

Orbi + Airport Express Airplay issues

Hi there,

I have two computers, a 2013 Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro, connected wirelessly to my Orbi. My network includes two Airport Express base stations, both running firmware 7.8.1, and primarily have been used as Airplay speakers. One base station is wired directly with Ethernet and one connects wirelessly. I also have an AppleTV connected wirelessly.

Both of my Macs are running OS 10.15.6. The Mac Pro has the main music library.

I have never been able to get Airplay to work reliably from the Mac Pro to either of the Airport Express base stations. When selecting the Airplay speaker in the Music app it takes a few moments trying to connect and then throws a dialog saying the device cannot be selected for audio output and to check the Airplay settings. The AppleTV works flawlessly when selecting the remote speaker...it takes no time to connect and does so very reliably.

The MacBook Pro connects reliably to both base stations and the AppleTV with Airplay as well. Even my iPhone connects to the base stations and AppleTV reliably.

I've searched this forum for the correct settings for the Orbi (beamforming and so forth) and none of those suggestions have made any difference. I've also attempted to wire the Mac Pro directly to the Orbi via Ethernet and that has also made no difference.

I wonder if anyone has any advice for me on this?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Orbi + Airport Express Airplay issues

Unfortunately this may not be an Orbi issue or Airport Express base stations issue. If everything else is connecting properly using your MacBook Pro, but not connecting properly using your Mac Pro, I would check the Mac Pro's settings. It could be the music app settings. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the music app, and configure it as if it was the first time using it.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7