Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Attatched Devices Not Refreshing

theoak
Luminary

Orbi Attatched Devices Not Refreshing

Orbi iOS App and OrbiLogon.net was working fairly reliably.

However, wifi was super flakey, so I did a reset on the router and satellite.  (Push the reset button with a pin on the back of the devices until flashing orange.)

I proceded to reconfigure the Orbi system as an access point.

My setup is DSL Model (in bridge mode - no wifi) --> Router/Firewall/UTM (functions as router/DHCP - no wifi) --> Orbi Router (AP Mode)

OrbiLogin.net shows my satellite as NOT connected; however, satellite does physically show up as blue. It shows 5 devices connected. After resetting the router during initial configuration it briefly was setup as a router before I put it in AP mode.  These were the 5 devices connected at that time.

iOS app at least sees the satellite connected via wifi and green; however, my device count is the same device count (5) as when it was briefly setup as a router after reset as referenced above.

All my devices are connecting.  Cameras, laptops, phones, etc are all showing up as connected via my router.  My apps on my phone connect to my various devices with the appropriate notifications streaming through.

Wifi appears to be stable.  I was at least able to work without a single wifi drop for an hour.  Prior, a half a dozen times an hour easy.  So I will call this a win thus far.  I have tried different browsers.  I have cleared all cookies and browser cache.  Again, device count does not budge and again OrbiLogin.net does not register the satellite as connected.

Thoughts?

Edit:

V2.5.1.8 firmware on router and satellite. 

Channel 1 for 2.5g, Channel 36 for 5g.

Beamforming - checked

MU-MIMO - NOT checked

Fast Roaming - checked

Daisy-Chain - NOT checked

Guest Network - NOT enabled

Another observation - when I do Firmware update, for both the router and the satellite it says they do not need one.  Hence, if the satellite was not connected, how could it determine the satellite did not need an update?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
theoak
Luminary

Re: Orbi Attatched Devices Not Refreshing

Down graded the firmware to 2.3.5.30 on the satellites and router.

All GUIs behave and report as expected.

With a little luck I have wifi stability.

For now, I am sitting firmware 2.5.1.8 out and cannot recommend it. 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 16

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Find the IP address of the satellite on the RBRs connected clients list. Use this IP address to gain access to the RBSs web page to check the FW version. You can manually install FW using the RBS web page here. FW updates should be applied to the RBS first then the RBR lastly if manually installed. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch on the RBR been performed since last update?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 2 of 16
theoak
Luminary

I have gone to both Satellites individual pages.  All list firmware version 2.5.1.8.

I have tried:

1. Reset to factory via online GUI.

2. Setup via iOS Orbi app.

I have tried:

1. Rest to factory via reset pin button on each device.

2. Setup via online GUI.

The online GUI continues to state my satellites are not connected.  I have validated connectivity via a printer and carmera connected via cable on the satellite.  I would not be able to print for example if the backhaul was not there and connected.

Orbi iOS app says satellite is connected; but devices are not listed.

When I first got the Orbi's there was an older firmware on it.  I cannot remember the version, I just followed the steps and it upgraded them.  Again, wifi was flakey so I reset via pin button on the devices a few days back.  I can only conclude that with the original setup, something held on from the original older firmware.  When I reset the devices, it reset using the newer firmware.

So the online GUI is essentially useless as the device count and satellite connection status is wrong.

The Orbi iOS app at least tells me the satellite is connected.  But everything else is wrong.

I work from home tomorrow so that will the real test of the wifi stability.

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure when you factory reset the RBR that you reset the RBS. When adding RBS, add them one at a time. I would not add the 2nd RBS untill you see the RBS listed on the RBRs web page. I would do this while having the RBS and RBR in the same room. You might even do this, once you think the RBS is connected wirelessly to the RBR, connect a LAN cable between the RBS and the RBR. Give it 5 minutes. Use IE11, Firefox or Opera browsers to see the status. After about 5 minutes or maybe 10, the RBRs web page should say "wired". 

Check the Orbi app as well. You should see a solid line between the RBR and RBS which means the connection is wired, not a dotted line which means wireless. 

Message 4 of 16
theoak
Luminary

I reset one Satellite, gave it a few minutes to start up, and then unplugged it.  I did the same for the second Satellite.  I then reset the Router, configured it, and then added the Satellites one by one.

I never thought of a LAN connection.  I will give that a shot.

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

So after doing that process, you did not see any RBS status in the RBRs web page after you connected the first RBS? 

Ya keep us posted. 

Message 6 of 16
theoak
Luminary

You may get a double post here as I thought I replied; however, I am not seeing the reply.

A consistent theme I am observing:

Initial setup is fine via iOS app or Online GUI.  Setup network, channels, beamforming, etc, etc - no issues.  Add Satellites via wifi and/or wired; again, great.  All Satellites show up as connected and "Good".  Attached Device list via the iOS app and online GUI reflect my devices.

Once I flip to Access Point mode ... poof.  The online GUI shows my Satellites as disconnected regardless if they are connected via wire or wifi.  The device list does not refresh.  The iOS app at least shows the Satellites as connected; again, the device list does not refresh.

Wired devices on the Satellites function fine.  As I move away from the router with my phone I see the signal level drop.  Once I move close enough to a Satellite, I see the signal level jump back up.  I am assuming that my phone is now being served by the Satellite.  All devices function as connected to the Internet.

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Seems liek the switch from router to AP mode is causing the status to fail.

Try this. back in router mode. Remove all RBS. Can turn them off or factory reset them and then OFF. While the RBR is in router mode, set up the router for your needs and then configure AP mode. Apply the setting and ensure it works with your host router normally. If this is good up to this point. Turn ON 1 of the RBS and sync to add it wirelessly. Wait for it to turn BLUE then OFF. Check the staus on the RBRs page then. Does the RBS appear as connected wirelessly? 

Message 8 of 16
theoak
Luminary

Another great idea.  Unfortunately this won't happen till tomorrow - FYI.  I will update accordingly.

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

At your leisure Sir. 

Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 16
theoak
Luminary

Well, pin reset both satellites let them stay on a bit, then I turned them off.

Pin reset the router let it stay on a bit and configured it.  Flipped it to AP mode.  The device count reflected the same as it did prior.  So some progress.  Before with the satellites connected flipping to AP mode would lose all the devices in the list.

I added a satellite via the iOS app ... satellite was added ... drum roll ... went to the attached devices ... drum roll ... everything was gone but 3 and they were the hard wired devices I have on the router 😞  Grrrr.

Online GUI again shows the satellites as "Disconnected" with the iOS app should them as connected.  The Satellites eventually light blue after they are done starting.

Added the second satellite the same way ... no change in any GUI.

Message 11 of 16
theoak
Luminary

Down graded the firmware to 2.3.5.30 on the satellites and router.

All GUIs behave and report as expected.

With a little luck I have wifi stability.

For now, I am sitting firmware 2.5.1.8 out and cannot recommend it. 

Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Id make contact with NG support and report this. I'll have a look with mine and see if it happens. Mines in router mode currently. Just got a new router so putting the RBR50 in AP will be a great test for it. @CrimpOn could comment? 

@Blanca_O 

@theoak wrote:

Well, pin reset both satellites let them stay on a bit, then I turned them off.

Pin reset the router let it stay on a bit and configured it.  Flipped it to AP mode.  The device count reflected the same as it did prior.  So some progress.  Before with the satellites connected flipping to AP mode would lose all the devices in the list.

I added a satellite via the iOS app ... satellite was added ... drum roll ... went to the attached devices ... drum roll ... everything was gone but 3 and they were the hard wired devices I have on the router 😞  Grrrr.

Online GUI again shows the satellites as "Disconnected" with the iOS app should them as connected.  The Satellites eventually light blue after they are done starting.

Added the second satellite the same way ... no change in any GUI.

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, I have mine set up for AP mode on v2.5.1.8. I'll knock this around this weekend and see what happens. 

Have a great weekend. 

Message 14 of 16
theoak
Luminary

@FURRYe38 thank you so much for your personal efforts.

Being a sucker for punishment I read reference of folks stating to stay away from the iOS app.  So I did a pure web GUI setup.

Yes, I even upgraded to 2.5.1.8 - router and satellites - and I pin reset them prior to configuration.

Long story short - HUGE improvement - kind of ... keep reading.

One thing I did do differnt was I put the Orbi in Access Point mode right from the get go.  I then went back and did the other settings (wifi channels, etc).

Satellites were connected and the device list was "ok".  Some devices still showed the IP address of what it had when the Orbi was briefly in Router mode.  The fact that the satellites were there and connected though was definitely a huge step forward.

The very last thing I did ... turned OFF Daisy Chain.

Ug, that did it.  Satellites were "Disconnected" and my device list dropped to a few of the wired connections.  I let it sit for bit to see if stuff would pop up.  Nope.  In the past however I had it like this for a good day, and they never showed up regardless of the GUI.

I put Daisy Chain mode ON ... satellites came back with "Good" and the device list popped back up.  I am going to have it sit like this for a few days to see how it serves me.

Some conclusions:

WIth 2.3.5.30 with Daisy Chain OFF, satellites display connected with device list really good.

With 2.1.5.8 with Daisy Chain OFF, satellites are disconnected with device list basically non usable.

With 2.1.5.8 with Daisy Chain ON, satellites display connected with device list okay (wait and see - jury is still out).

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

@theoak 

So  I setup my RBK50 yesterday in AP mode. "With 2.1.5.8 with Daisy Chain OFF, satellites are disconnected with device list basically non usable." Same configuration. However I disabled Daisy Chain before I connected my RBS to the RBR. I do all my RBR configurations manually before connecting any RBS. After the RBS was connected. I place it in a remote location. Before dinner time yesterday I sat in the same room with the RBS and had my iPhone and Android pad with me. Both were seen connected at the RBS when using the Orbi app on both devices. 

You might try configuring the RBR first and disabling Daisy Chain first, then connect the RBS to the RBR. 

I'll re-enable Diasy Chain on my RBR this weekend and see if the RBS comes back as connected. 

Just checked again with both iPhone and Pad and both are seen on the RBS with the Orbi app. I did power off the wifi radios on the two devices then back on to ensure they connected to the RBS in that room. Device Name and info show correctly as well. 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7