Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Backhaul

tevans84025
Follower

Orbi Backhaul

I am a bit technologically challenged but managed to hook up my Netgear Modem and Orbi system. One of my satellites is 100 ft from my house in detached garage. I know this is not the “recommended” distance but I’ve tried everything else to get WiFi out there for security system. The UNIT has an impressive connection with 100 Mbps but backhaul say poor. What does this mean? Does it matter ? The unit seems to work fine but at this $$ I want to make sure it’s going to keep working. Thanks!!
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Backhaul

@tevans84025 wrote:
I am a bit technologically challenged but managed to hook up my Netgear Modem and Orbi system. One of my satellites is 100 ft from my house in detached garage. I know this is not the “recommended” distance but I’ve tried everything else to get WiFi out there for security system. The UNIT has an impressive connection with 100 Mbps but backhaul say poor. What does this mean? Does it matter ? The unit seems to work fine but at this $$ I want to make sure it’s going to keep working. Thanks!!

"Poor" means that the signal level is lower than desired and performance will be less than most people would find acceptable.  However, the bandwidth required by most security cameras is very low.  If the camera is performing well enough to suit you, then "Poor" is good enough.

So, if you wanted to make the garage into a "Man Cave" with streaming 4K HD television and play internet video games, that Poor backhaul would not be acceptable.  The only way to improve performance would be to run an ethernet cable out to the garage, which is tedious and expensive. 

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Backhaul

To get a better back haul speed at the remote area, as a suggestion, run a burried CAT6A LAN cable from the house to the remote building, Then connect the RBS to the LAN cable there:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

@tevans84025 wrote:

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7