Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Behind Vonage

ratbatblue
Aspirant

Orbi Behind Vonage

I have a Vonage VDV23 that MUST be connected directly to my cable modem to provide decent phone service. I already have a Nighthawk R7000 that works fine when connected behind the Vonage device. I simply want to know if the Orbi will work as reliably. NETGEAR tech support told me, in the same phone call, “Orbi will work as you want to connect it, but you might have to connect it the other way.” So now I’m confused.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Behind Vonage

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Modem Combo Units: Your best option would probably be #3...
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 4
ratbatblue
Aspirant

I have an Arris SurfBoard SB6183 cable modem, a wired device. The Vonage 
device, also wired, has to connect directly to the modem to get useable phone comms.
I've had my Nighthawk connected behind the Vonage box
without issues for a couple of years. I recently tried connecting the Nighthawk directly to the modem
with the Vonage box behind it, (after contacting Vonage tech support to check
if it would work that way). Got phone connectivity, but very choppy. So
the Vonage box HAS to be first behind the modem. If the Orbi, connected behind the Vonage box, works as well as the Nighthawk does, all will be well. I'm just trying to do my 
homework this way before laying out almost $400 and wading in. Thanks.
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I would have used the routers DMZ with the Vonage IP address in the DMZ of the router. This would help with Vonage behind a router. I have my microcell behind a router and use the DMZ for the microcell. Works well. 

Up to you. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7