Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Blocking Websites

knmartin
Initiate

I have read all the support and still can not figure out what to do... please keep answers simple as that was the whole reason i went with the orbi system.

it is an Orbi RBR40 with 3 satelites connected to att uverse - i cant even find this in the netgear drop down. 

issue: Orbi is not connecting to websites - even the the orbilogin.net website is being blocked and asking for a password

background: i connected the orbi to my ATT uverse modem that was installed the previous day. Internet was running perfectly with the att router that was provided. I simply unplugged the att router and then plugged in the orbi router to expand the broadcast. 

what is the step by step approach to fixing this? and please dont say "Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode"

- i have no idea what this means... 

- i have the orbi app on my phone and thats about it. i cant seem to connect to the orbi on my computer, because of this issue. 

- i have read about turn of double IP settings, or turn off this or that - but can not seem to find a simple step by step approach to fixing this problem that i was assured was an out of box solution for a simple person like me.

Please help.

Message 26 of 80
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP modem would already have a built in router. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@knmartin wrote:

I have read all the support and still can not figure out what to do... please keep answers simple as that was the whole reason i went with the orbi system.

it is an Orbi RBR40 with 3 satelites connected to att uverse - i cant even find this in the netgear drop down. 

issue: Orbi is not connecting to websites - even the the orbilogin.net website is being blocked and asking for a password

background: i connected the orbi to my ATT uverse modem that was installed the previous day. Internet was running perfectly with the att router that was provided. I simply unplugged the att router and then plugged in the orbi router to expand the broadcast. 

what is the step by step approach to fixing this? and please dont say "Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode"

- i have the orbi app on my phone and thats about it. i cant seem to connect to the orbi on my computer, because of this issue. 

- i have read about turn of double IP settings, or turn off this or that - but can not seem to find a simple step by step approach to fixing this problem that i was assured was an out of box solution for a simple person like me.

Please help.

Message 27 of 80
ekhalil
Master

@knmartin wrote:

@knmartin  Please open a Command Prompt on any computer attached to Orbi and type:

tracert 8.8.8.8  (or traceroute 8.8.8.8 if you're using a Mac computer)

and paste the results here please.

Message 28 of 80
JennaJ
Initiate

Re: Orbi Blocking Websites - Solved

Sorry but this does not work. I can't get to the console page because I am blocked - it's a catch 22. Please can someone explain in PLAIN ENGLISH how to fix this? I bought this because it is supposed to be simple to set up. I am not an IT expert so need steps in simple language not jargon. Thanks

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 29 of 80
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Is there a built in router here by chance? 

@JennaJ wrote:

Sorry but this does not work. I can't get to the console page because I am blocked - it's a catch 22. Please can someone explain in PLAIN ENGLISH how to fix this? I bought this because it is supposed to be simple to set up. I am not an IT expert so need steps in simple language not jargon. Thanks

Message 30 of 80
knmartin
Initiate

ok, i'm going to try and answer this, as i was having the same problem - and the answers were just very confusing.

Background----

1. my network had a ATT ROUTER that the ATT guy put in place. Internet was up and running and was good, as long as i was close to the router. So I bought the Orbi - because the review and people at Best Buy said it was "just plug in and everything is good and will fill the whole house and outside"

2. It doesnt work that way - here is why (in my terms (im sure i will get this wrong)

3. The ATT ROUTER is sending out an IP address that allows your home to access the internet

4. As soon as you connect the ORBI - without doing anything else, it too will send out an IP address

5. this is fine, except that now the IP addresses have a conflict and wont let certain websites connect - i dont know the technical reason why - it just does. 

6. so... HERE IS THE KEY... you have to turn off the ORBI system, from generating its own IP address, and use the one the ATT Router generates, and ONLY use the ORBI to expand the wireless network throughout the house. In order to do this you need to change the ORBI from "ROUTER MODE" to "ACCESS POINT" or AP mode... they dont make it easy to do this so i found this YOUTUBE VIDEO

7.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo

8. i had to watch the video all the way through once so i knew what was going to happen, and then i watched, and then paused at each step and actually did the same thing. 

9. It worked. 

10. basically there will be a login to the ORBI device by typing "orbilogin.com" in a browser

--- the login is "admin" / "password"   meaning that is the code... user name = "admin" and password = "password"

--- follow the video, pause every step and do exactly what it says - and it will work. 

11. they really should have a external button that does this and you choose from the very beginning before plugging into your providers Router. 

hope this helps - in my plain english...

Message 31 of 80
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes if there is a router in front of the Orbi router, users might see this blocking we sites issues. As stated putting the Orbi router in AP mode should resolve this. This is a reason why we ask users for ISP Modem Mfr and model# information. 

Users have a couple of other altermatives if users want to use Orbi as a router. Options 1 and 2 should be reviewed. 

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Good Luck

Message 32 of 80
JennaJ
Initiate

Thanks so much for this 'plain english' reply. I followed your instructions, watched the Youtube and all sorted really quickly. The key was using orbilogin.com to access the router admin without being blocked.  For the benefit of others, mine is through a UK Plusnet router.  As advised in the following I've post I've also disabled the wifi on the Plusnet router to reduce interference - so thank you for that too.  So far so good, Orbi is super powerful with a strong signal throughout the house. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 33 of 80
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Yes, having a router in front of the Orbi router seems to cause problems like this. Glad the solution got yoru working. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@JennaJ wrote:

Thanks so much for this 'plain english' reply. I followed your instructions, watched the Youtube and all sorted really quickly. The key was using orbilogin.com to access the router admin without being blocked.  For the benefit of others, mine is through a UK Plusnet router.  As advised in the following I've post I've also disabled the wifi on the Plusnet router to reduce interference - so thank you for that too.  So far so good, Orbi is super powerful with a strong signal throughout the house. 

Message 34 of 80
MaryBirk
Aspirant

I cannot log on to the OrbiNet site because my Orbi is blocking it. How do i work around this in order to access the page to allow HTTPS sites? Thank you!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 35 of 80
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? If so, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,

@MaryBirk wrote:

I cannot log on to the OrbiNet site because my Orbi is blocking it. How do i work around this in order to access the page to allow HTTPS sites? Thank you!

Message 36 of 80
lerij
Aspirant

@knmartin wrote:

Please help.

@knmartin wrote:

Please help.

I need this help

Message 37 of 80
lerij
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Your ISP modem would already have a built in router. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,

@knmartin wrote:

Please help.

Need this help.

Message 38 of 80
LuckyGolden
Aspirant

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 39 of 80
LuckyGolden
Aspirant

I can't correct problems with Orbi RBR20 router not allowing access to some websites, not recognizing my location with other websites (one site is in French language and thinks I am located in France--I do not speak French or live in France!).  Can't log into the orbi website I am being referred to:  https://orbilogin.net because I receive these messages:  

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from orbilogin.net (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more

NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

Message 40 of 80
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the RBR. Use a different browser to connect to 192.168.1.1

You can proceed past the notiifcation of the connection is not private. 

@LuckyGolden wrote:

I can't correct problems with Orbi RBR20 router not allowing access to some websites, not recognizing my location with other websites (one site is in French language and thinks I am located in France--I do not speak French or live in France!).  Can't log into the orbi website I am being referred to:  https://orbilogin.net because I receive these messages:  

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from orbilogin.net (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more

NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

Message 41 of 80
U2-5
Aspirant

Hello I am blocked and cannot get on the orbilogin.net site in order to correct the problem. When prompted to login, it does not allow me to open the site with my username and password. I also have the app, but cannot find a way to do this.
Message 42 of 80
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@U2-5 wrote:
Hello I am blocked and cannot get on the orbilogin.net site in order to correct the problem. When prompted to login, it does not allow me to open the site with my username and password. I also have the app, but cannot find a way to do this.

Message 43 of 80
pippaN
Aspirant

Fails because orbilogin.net is one of the sites blocked!!!! Duh.

Message 44 of 80
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@pippaN wrote:

Fails because orbilogin.net is one of the sites blocked!!!! Duh.

Message 45 of 80
Tornad
Aspirant

I cannot log onto Orbilogin.net (or dot com) on Mac as it keeps saying not secure. Downloaded app on phone, but seems not much can be done from there. Any ideas?
Message 46 of 80
FURRYe38
Guru

Use Safari, FireFox or Opera for Mac and log in to Orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1. Accept the warning that the site is not secure. You'll be fine, it's just the browser warning you that the site is not using HTTPS vs HTTP. 

@Tornad wrote:
I cannot log onto Orbilogin.net (or dot com) on Mac as it keeps saying not secure. Downloaded app on phone, but seems not much can be done from there. Any ideas?

Message 47 of 80
talktochad
Initiate

I've read the solutions listed here, but unfortunately I can't even login to the Orbi site, as it's restricting it as well. I type in UN/PW and it says the site is not secure. This is both on wifi and through ethernet/direct connect. WTF?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 48 of 80
schumaku
Guru

@talktochad wrote:

... I can't even login to the Orbi site, as it's restricting it as well. I type in UN/PW and it says the site is not secure. 

Accept that the browser says it's not secure while using your home Ethernet/wired or the Orbi served WiFi.

Ask the browser maker WTF they consider a connection on a private network insecure and why they have no option to change it...

Netgear had a nice solution for using even https, and it nicely showed up green and secure. Some over-smart security "specialists" out there complained, so Netgear had to remove the perfectly working certificate. So we are back to plain http or https with a self-signed certificate.

You are nagging at the wrong end of the chain.

Message 49 of 80
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you update FW to v2.5.1.8? 

@talktochad wrote:

I've read the solutions listed here, but unfortunately I can't even login to the Orbi site, as it's restricting it as well. I type in UN/PW and it says the site is not secure. This is both on wifi and through ethernet/direct connect. WTF?

Message 50 of 80
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7