× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi CBR40 cable modem/router on Specrum

ractech
Follower

Orbi CBR40 cable modem/router on Specrum

A couple weeks ago Spectrum sent me a new modem and said the old Spectrum modem (which I don't have) would be obsolete with their new 400Mb service. I called and asked if I would be able to use my Orbi modem/router at 200Mb when the service changed over in April. I was told yes.

This morning Spectrum pulled the plug on me. I was told that my Orbi was old equipment and no longer supported on the Spectrum network. During the lengthy call, I asked what changed on my account? Tech told me there was a block placed on it because of my obsolete hardware and he removed it. Everything is okay now, with the caveat that it might not be in the future.

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi CBR40 cable modem/router on Specrum

Wow, love how ISPs just can do that. Say one thing then all of a sudden with out notice, change.

Thought the CBR40 is only DOCSIS 3.0 so possible that the ISP is moving this out of support for them since D 3.1 has been out for while now.  Its up to the ISP to decide what they want to support and what they don't. You may need to upgrade to something 3.1 at some point. Might ask the ISP if they can give you any information on when D 3.0 modems will no longer be supported so you might have a time frame to check into something newer. 

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi CBR40 cable modem/router on Specrum

The CBR40 is a docsis 3.0 device. 

The rollout to 3.1 has been ongoing but there's still a lot of 3.0 devices in service. I think it'll be a while before they pull the plug on 3.0 devices. 

they might be pushing to get you to upgrade as the docsis 3.1 devices are a bit more efficient for the ISP. I've seen a lot of ISP's lowering the speed on what they require a docsis 3.1 modem. That might be what they end up doing . 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7