Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi DNS failure after time change

DanM_NJ
Follower

Orbi DNS failure after time change

I just have to say that I am astounded at the poor quality of the end user experience in these forums.

There is absolutely no question that the onboard dns server has started failing for many people after last Sunday's time change.  

It is now Thursday.

Not only is something from Netgear not pinned to the top of the forums on the subject, but there are pages and pages of postings by various people full of actual misinformation and\or misinformation by implication.

No, the problem is not my isp's dns.

No, the problem isn't fixed by switching to google public dns.

No, the problem isn't fixed by messing with timeserver settings.

Yes, the problem is immediately fixed (at least for a while) by telnetting in and restarting the dns server on the orbi.

I deal with this sort of equipment at work - the whole reason I bought an orbi was to not have to deal with it at home, and certainly not to have to wade through page after page of misinformation in user forums.  Never mind to have to check reddit of all places for the most up to date and useful information when there is a problem!

Thank you R0B0TVAMPIRE!

Not only were you the one person to post useful information on this subject, it is also because of you that I now know that the right place to go for good information on this is reddit.

Netgear, are you listening?

Or do you actually want us to all switch to ubiquiti?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
vajim
Master

see if this helps

Hi Orbi Community,

The issue has been forwarded already to engineers.

If you are willing to work on the issue, please send me a private message by clicking on this link and I will PM you requesting for more information. We appreciate your help working on this issue.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

@Blanca_O 

Message 2 of 13
Brentx
Tutor

These guys are pathetic.  They want to charge me for support after their firmware or something started making my router flag every 4 hours or so.  Rebooting fixes it and like the OP says it may be NTP related due to DNS.  

Typical Netgear.  Worst of the worse. 

RBR50 V2.7.2.104

Message 3 of 13
vajim
Master

@Brentx wrote:

These guys are pathetic.  They want to charge me for support after their firmware or something started making my router flag every 4 hours or so.  Rebooting fixes it and like the OP says it may be NTP related due to DNS.  

RBR50 V2.7.2.104

I think they want you to reach out to the poc at post 2

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-intermittent-DNS-lookup-issues/m-p/2071397/highlight/tru...

@Brentx wrote:

RBR50 V2.7.2.104

Message 5 of 13
Trurl
Aspirant

I have this problem, too.  Started Sunday - so could also be linked to the time change.  The router goes down every few hours, problem is fixed by turning it off and on again.  Firmware all up to date.  I even changed my cable modem earlier today to see if that would fix it, but problem remains (and the fact that it could be fixed by power cycling the Orbi router was highly suggestive...).

I have the RBK50 plus two satellites.  Hasn't been a problem until now.

Have two adults working from home and two children remote schooling from home, so this is a bit of an issue.

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-2-7-2-104-firmware-Issues/m-p/2071667/highlight/true#M11...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-intermittent-DNS-lookup-issues/m-p/2071397/highlight/tru...

@Trurl wrote:

I have this problem, too.  Started Sunday - so could also be linked to the time change.  The router goes down every few hours, problem is fixed by turning it off and on again.  Firmware all up to date.  I even changed my cable modem earlier today to see if that would fix it, but problem remains (and the fact that it could be fixed by power cycling the Orbi router was highly suggestive...).

I have the RBK50 plus two satellites.  Hasn't been a problem until now.

Have two adults working from home and two children remote schooling from home, so this is a bit of an issue.

Message 7 of 13
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please let them contact the NG poc and stop trying to save the world 

Message 8 of 13
Elmwoodie
Aspirant

if its a PC or a device where you can manually configure the DNS server, set it to a working server on the internet.  (8.8.8.8 if you dont know another).  This stops the PC form using the router for DNS.  Wont help with everything else that you cant control DNS settings and is a pain though.

Message 9 of 13
Gizzzzmo33
Tutor

Changed the NTP settings like this.

Solved the problem immediately.

Advanced > Administration > NTP Settings

Uncheck "Automatically adjust for daylight savings time"

Set your preferred NTP server to time.nist.gov

Works like a charm for the last 4 days.

Message 10 of 13
vajim
Master

@Gizzzzmo33 wrote:

Changed the NTP settings like this.

Solved the problem immediately.

Advanced > Administration > NTP Settings

Uncheck "Automatically adjust for daylight savings time"

Set your preferred NTP server to time.nist.gov

Works like a charm for the last 4 days.

and one can only what will happen if you should decide to up upgrade your firmware again.

Message 11 of 13
Gizzzzmo33
Tutor

Don’t think that’s a problem, the NTP settings can be changed in any firmware anyway
Message 12 of 13
vajim
Master

@Gizzzzmo33 wrote:
Don’t think that’s a problem, the NTP settings can be changed in any firmware anyway

true.....as long as folks remember....Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7