Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi + EX8000?

dbrueck
Aspirant

Orbi + EX8000?

I feel like I'm going in circles on trying to figure out which models to use, so I'm looking for a recommendation. I'm moving in a couple of weeks and am getting the networking set up in the new home (I live in the western US). Here are my goals and other info:

- good wifi coverage (at least 200Mbps) throughout the whole house (wood construction, 3 floors, 4500sf) and on the back deck if possible

- one SSID anywhere in the house

- fiddle-free - I know a decent amount about home networking but really just want it to work after the initial setup.

I've been looking at an Orbi system as it seems to allow me to just add more nodes as needed to fill in where there are weak spots. I'd love any recommendations on specific models.

My ISP is Comcast, so I'll be buying a DOCSIS 3.1 compatible cable modem as well - if there are any that would work particularly well, I'd love a recommendation there too.

I have an EX8000 I'm bringing with me - if I go with Orbi, does the EX8000 fit into the equation somehow or would that just be complicating things? (if it'd be useful and "just work", then I'd be glad to use it. If adding it to the mix will complicate things, I'll just sell it)

So... I need to buy a cable modem and ... whatever else is needed to wind up with good whole house coverage. I don't want to break the bank, but I'm very open to spending extra if it means hassle-free reliability. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Chuck_M
Mentor

Seems like if you have a good cable modem, a good provider and Orbi... that is plenty.  I would ditch the EX8000 because it just enters too much into the equation to go wrong.

The only other piece of equipment you may want to get is a switch if you have many ethernet devices to plug in (Hue, NAS, Security System, etc)  If you dont have these things, then you will be just great with Orbi and thats it.

Keep it simple.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12

All Replies
Chuck_M
Mentor

Seems like if you have a good cable modem, a good provider and Orbi... that is plenty.  I would ditch the EX8000 because it just enters too much into the equation to go wrong.

The only other piece of equipment you may want to get is a switch if you have many ethernet devices to plug in (Hue, NAS, Security System, etc)  If you dont have these things, then you will be just great with Orbi and thats it.

Keep it simple.

Message 2 of 12
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@dbrueck, sounds like a similar requirement to my setup.  I'd recommend RBK53 from Costco, Orbi RBR50 + 2 RBS50 Satellites, which should be enough to blanket WiFi in your new house.  I'm also with Comcast.  See my *sig* bellow for DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem.  I don't have EX8000, so can't really speak to it.  Since it's a Mesh extender from NG, there's no reason why it won't not work with Orbi single SSID WiFi network.

FWIW, my setup isn't hasle-free due to occasionally bad Orbi Firmware Update, but it's pretty close to hasle-free otherwise.

Message 3 of 12

@dbrueck wrote:

My ISP is Comcast, so I'll be buying a DOCSIS 3.1 compatible cable modem as well - if there are any that would work particularly well, I'd love a recommendation there too.

Be careful to buy a modem-only device. That avoids clashes when you try to throw two routers together. It should also be cheaper than a modem/router.

Check to see if your ISP has its a list of recommended hardware, or if there are a user group that can guide you.

It might help to buy a modem that is the same brand as everything else. That way you don't have to learn too many ways of working with this stuff.

Remember, cable modems are under the control of the ISP. You can't do your own firmware updates. It probably doesn't matter, but don't waste time worrying about that aspect.

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Recommend getting a Broadcom chipset based cable modem:

https://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5&p=5#p5

There are some known issues with Intel based modems:

https://badmodems.com/Forum/app.php/badmodems

@dbrueck wrote:

Message 5 of 12
dbrueck
Aspirant

Thanks everyone for the advice - very much appreciated!

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 12
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@michaelkenward wrote:

@dbrueck wrote:

Be careful to buy a modem-only device. That avoids clashes when you try to throw two routers together. It should also be cheaper than a modem/router.

Check to see if your ISP has its a list of recommended hardware, or if there are a user group that can guide you.

It might help to buy a modem that is the same brand as everything else. That way you don't have to learn too many ways of working with this stuff.

Remember, cable modems are under the control of the ISP. You can't do your own firmware updates. It probably doesn't matter, but don't waste time worrying about that aspect.

Yes, make a lot of sense!

BTW, SB8200 is Comcast approved and recommended DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem.  It's been plug-and-play since I got it.  NG also makes Cable Modem, CM1100, which you can also get from Costco.  It's also approved by Comcast.  You can also look into that if you prefer the same brand.

Message 8 of 12

BTW, SB8200 is Comcast approved and recommended DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem. 

It also comes up here pretty often, when trying to rule out installations with two routers.

Seems to be popular and is rarely implicated in major problems.

Might be worth comparing reviews on one of the big sellers.

Message 9 of 12
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@michaelkenward wrote:

BTW, SB8200 is Comcast approved and recommended DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem. 

It also comes up here pretty often, when trying to rule out installations with two routers.

Seems to be popular and is rarely implicated in major problems.

Might be worth comparing reviews on one of the big sellers.

SB8200/CM1000/CM1100 are all very popupar stand-alone approved Cable Modem.  So the two routers situation shouldn't be a problem.  I picked SB8200 at the time because CM1100 wasn't available and CM1000 was still in the state of Comast "Approval Pending...".

Given Costo Return Policy and the price of CM1100, I might not make the same decision today. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 12
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@dbrueck, might want to keep an eye on this thread if you are thinking about CM1100 Cable Modem.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

We believe that issue is either a ISP service issue or a bad unit. 

The CM1100 is well capable of 1Gb ISP speed services. 

@SW_ wrote:

might want to keep an eye on this thread if you are thinking about CM1100 Cable Modem.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7