Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi - Ethernet connection

moonema
Aspirant

Orbi - Ethernet connection

I am looking at deploying the Orbi AC3000 in my house. I think I will get the coverage needed (smaller system is slightly too small for my house). The question that I had was the following ...

Currently my Comcast modem is sitting on top of a bookshelf on one side of my office because that is where the connection had to come into the room. I would be placing the main Orbi device next to that cable modem. I would be placing the satellite Orbi on the other side of my house to provide the necessary coverage. The issue I am having is that I currently using a router as an extender at my desk to provide the necessary Ethernet connection for a linux computer I am running. If I run the main Orbi and a Satellite in the same room to get the Ethernet capability I need at my desk will there be interference? I would still have the other Satellite in the other portion of my house to provide the full coverage needed.

I just don't want the two in the same room to walk over each other. Is there another product that Netgear sells that allows me to backhall the copper connection over wireless WITHOUT broadcasting the SSID out of the satallite. Can I just turn the WIFI off in the satallite to get the copper connection in the same room?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

You could use a set of powerline adapters in the room for the linux computer if you needed it hardwired. You'd have less worry about wireless interference plus the powerline should be on the same circuit so your connection would be great. 

And it'd allow you to place the other satellite somewhere else for better coverage. 

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is going to be connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

WiFi on the satelite(s) can not be disabled even if using wired backhaul. When using wired backhaul the satellite becomes a AP in a remote location. 

@moonema wrote:

I am looking at deploying the Orbi AC3000 in my house. I think I will get the coverage needed (smaller system is slightly too small for my house). The question that I had was the following ...

Currently my Comcast modem is sitting on top of a bookshelf on one side of my office because that is where the connection had to come into the room. I would be placing the main Orbi device next to that cable modem. I would be placing the satellite Orbi on the other side of my house to provide the necessary coverage. The issue I am having is that I currently using a router as an extender at my desk to provide the necessary Ethernet connection for a linux computer I am running. If I run the main Orbi and a Satellite in the same room to get the Ethernet capability I need at my desk will there be interference? I would still have the other Satellite in the other portion of my house to provide the full coverage needed.

I just don't want the two in the same room to walk over each other. Is there another product that Netgear sells that allows me to backhall the copper connection over wireless WITHOUT broadcasting the SSID out of the satallite. Can I just turn the WIFI off in the satallite to get the copper connection in the same room?

Message 3 of 10
moonema
Aspirant

So the Powerline adapter will interface correctly with the Orbi mesh network?

Message 4 of 10
plemans
Guru

@moonema wrote:

So the Powerline adapter will interface correctly with the Orbi mesh network?

If you have one plugged into the orbi router and one into the linux computer it will work. the orbi itself doesn't support powerline without an adapter. 

Message 5 of 10
moonema
Aspirant

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is going to be connected too? CISCO DPC3008

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 2500
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. --> it would easily be over 30 feet depended on where I place it.

WiFi on the satelite(s) can not be disabled even if using wired backhaul. When using wired backhaul the satellite becomes a AP in a remote location. 

Message 6 of 10
moonema
Aspirant

If you have one plugged into the orbi router and one into the linux computer it will work. the orbi itself doesn't support powerline without an adapter.  --> that is what I was thinking thus the follow-up question. Seems like an expensive solution to get copper to my linux box but might be my only option.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, checking your ISP modem for built in router and WiFi. It's not. Your good here and placement will be key. You should be good there too. 

@moonema wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is going to be connected too? CISCO DPC3008

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 2500
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. --> it would easily be over 30 feet depended on where I place it.

Message 8 of 10
plemans
Guru

You could pick up a used or refurb powerline off ebay for fairly cheap. I've seen them go for around $20 fairly frequently.
Or you could continue to use your other router as an extender to utilize the ethernet port.
Message 9 of 10
ekhalil
Master

I'm using Netgear NCE3001 to provide me with an Ethernet interface to my Unix machine.

It basically a wireless to Ethernet adapter that should do the job for you.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7