Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi-Firm Updates

hariou
Aspirant

Orbi-Firm Updates

This may seem like a silly question but... the router is a premium product. Why are the firmware updates so hard to install? Its almost 2020 and all major brands do auto updates. It sounds seems like a major design flaw if you can install a wrong update if you choose satellite vs router incorrectly.

I just purchased a pair and an reading the horror stories of a rolled back patch and satellite issues.

Should I return it and go for another manufacturer?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi-Firm Updates

Nobody really knows. Seems that with all the veried configurations out there, FW version being released, that the process of updating FW via auto update would not cause problems, however it seems it does. NG has recently stopping doing minor FW version updates via auto update and now lets users choose to install it or not. NG still seems to push MAJOR versions of FW. Users also have the ability to manually install. Those of us choose this method and also choose ot include a factory reset and setup from scratch or setup and then load a saved configuration from file which saves time. I use this method and don't see many issues or any simialar issues as others who don't reset and just update and continue to use. 

Some users have had problems with updates, then theres others who do not. Seems like a mixed bag. 

There hasn't be a a problem of installing wrong FW on RBS or RBR, as they won't allow you do do this. However historically, users have had problems updating RBS after they updated RBRs first. So from these experiences, we always recommend updating the RBS first, then RBR. 

Its up to you if you want to keep the Orbi or at least try it out during the time frame you may have before a refund expires. If not, then it's up to you if you want to return it and find something else. Other mfrs may not be perfect in this area as well. 

I have not touched my friends Orbi system since day one installation:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

His has been updated when NG pushed updates. Still working for him. 

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

It's  not a silly question at all.  But the situation is sort of complicated.

For quite some time, Netgear DID silently push new firmware to the Orbi products without the user having any idea.  I know people who have had Orbi installed for two years and have never looked at it.  As long as there is never a screw-up, this is great. But, Netgear released some clinkers which made people furious.  On this community forum, people clamored, "Let Me Choose" if and when firmware will be updated!!!!  So, Netgear gave in and changed to informing users that new firmware is available and letting them elect to install it or not.

I have no experience with other mesh systems (Linksys, Google, Ubiquiti, TP-Link).  And, of course, they are all now releasing new products that meet the new WiFi 6 standard that was finalyzed just this September.  When I look at their user forums, people report problems just as on this forum.

Firmware updates are only one of a bunch of factors to consider (coverage, number of ethernet ports, how it does VPN, etc. etc.).

Life got a lot more complicated once people had the option to install their own systems rather than be forced to use whatever the ISP installed.

Message 3 of 8
Ragar99
Luminary

Two issues with Orbi firmware updates. 

The quality is also poor, things get broken, sometimes things are so bad Netgear has to pull an update.

They have a ton of them, i.e. compared to an ASUS RT-AC86U which has had 3 in 2019 so far.   Most Orbi updates are fix updates so in part they have more updates because they are always fixing things, i.e. poor quality.

Message 4 of 8
tagteam
Virtuoso

@CrimpOn wrote:

Firmware updates are only one of a bunch of factors to consider (coverage, number of ethernet ports, how it does VPN, etc. etc.).

I agree without equivocation. Other than performance and number of ports, the primary consideration for me was simply the ability to manage my Orbi system using a web interface (browser UI or whatever).

I believe the vast majority of the other mesh systems require an app and I will NOT fool around trying to change settings, etc., using an app on my iPhone.

Message 5 of 8
Jetdrive
Luminary

Speaking of firmware, where is the new firmware promised "soon" and in early December? Could one of mods please get an update on when when can expect the new fixed firmware?

Message 6 of 8
hariou
Aspirant

Thanks for the food for thoughts! I think I will try it out for the next few days and look for anything quirky. I just plan to run a standard setup with no exotic clients or other wifi equipment.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it works out for you. 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@hariou wrote:
Thanks for the food for thoughts! I think I will try it out for the next few days and look for anything quirky. I just plan to run a standard setup with no exotic clients or other wifi equipment.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7