Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Functionality lost when setting up as an access point?

LLcdPH
Aspirant

Orbi Functionality lost when setting up as an access point?

I'd like to connect the Orbi (AC2200) router to the LAN port of an existing ASUS gigabit wireless router.  I'm assuming it needs to be setup in access mode?  If I do, what functionality (if any) would I lose? Will I still get "full speed" from the Orbi router and both satilites? I'd likely disable wifi on the ASUS.  Thank you. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi Functionality lost when setting up as an access point?

You lose routing functionality. WiFi is the same and full speed. That's how I run my Orbi.  You need to disable WiFi on the ASUS no matter what mode you run Orbi in.

Message 2 of 6
LLcdPH
Aspirant

So you lose LOAN out on the router and satilites?
Message 3 of 6
LLcdPH
Aspirant

Make that... You lose LAN out?
Message 4 of 6
st_shaw
Master

No.  Access Point mode turns off Orbi’s routing functions, but your ASUS will be doing the routing, so no loss of LAN or WAN access.

Message 5 of 6
jdpg2
Apprentice

Think of it this way

AP Mode :  The Orbi provides wireless connectivity( both main and guest)  to your network but that is all.  All routing features such as DHCP, QOS, DDNS, DMZ, UPnP, VPN, any routing rules etc are all provide by your ASUS router.  You must remember to Disable the wireless feature on your router. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7