Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi + Gigabit

RegDawg
Apprentice

Orbi + Gigabit

I have gigabit speed through Xfinity and with my Orbi router hard-wired to the modem, doing speedtests using the orbi app, I'm only roughly getting 400-500mpbs. When I hard-wire a Microsoft Surface 4 to the Orbi router, doing speedtests using speedtest.net or fast.com, I'm only roughly getting 300mbps. Is there something wrong with my set-up? 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14

A few thoughts:  

Your 'Microsoft Surface 4' has a built-in Ethernet port?   Or are you using either a USB adapter or a dock?   In either case, have you checked Device Manager ->Network Adapters->Surface Ethernet Adapter-> Advanced,  Speed & Duplex to see what is detected?

What does the Surface get if via the same usb/dock and cables to the modem, eliminating the Orbi? 

See also: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Best-Practices-when-using-Orbi-Router-to-handle-a-1GB-Fiber/td...

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to ERASE the router back to factory and then set up from scratch. This time do not use the built in speed test, traffic meter or access controls on a 1Gb ISP service as these will disable the HW acceslleration needed for 1Gb ISP services. Then speed test with a wired LAN connected PC. 

@RegDawg wrote:

I have gigabit speed through Xfinity and with my Orbi router hard-wired to the modem, doing speedtests using the orbi app, I'm only roughly getting 400-500mpbs. When I hard-wire a Microsoft Surface 4 to the Orbi router, doing speedtests using speedtest.net or fast.com, I'm only roughly getting 300mbps. Is there something wrong with my set-up? 

Message 3 of 14
bd81
Tutor

I'm not sure I agree with your post. He is most likely using an Ethernet adapter or maybe even testing wirelessly and that would explain the lower speed. The built in speed test is not accurate, my guess it simply does not last long enough to test 1 Gbit service. I have verified this with my service many times. I can hardwire my i7 laptop with a built in 1 Gbit Ethernet port and I will test 940 Mbit with my SIP, around 880 Mbit on speedtest.net and 940 Mbit on dslreports.com speedtest.  The built in speed test will max out at about 450 Mbit or so.

Message 4 of 14

Perhaps.  However, there exists on the community posts here some screen captures showing much higher built-in speed test results.  It could also be the 'hardware acceleration issue mentioned in the thread I linked.  Only testing will tell.

Message 5 of 14
RegDawg
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You need to ERASE the router back to factory and then set up from scratch. This time do not use the built in speed test, traffic meter or access controls on a 1Gb ISP service as these will disable the HW acceslleration needed for 1Gb ISP services. Then speed test with a wired LAN connected PC. 

@RegDawg wrote:

I set up from scratch but no where did I see where I could disable the speed test,  access control, and traffic meter. Or was I supposed to do that? During the set-up I started out in the app then it lead me to the webpage to finish the set-up. Anyways I hard-wired my microsoft surface 4 to the orbi router and I'm only getting roughly 250mbps. Did I miss something?

Message 6 of 14
RegDawg
Apprentice

@bd81 wrote:

I'm not sure I agree with your post. He is most likely using an Ethernet adapter or maybe even testing wirelessly and that would explain the lower speed. The built in speed test is not accurate, my guess it simply does not last long enough to test 1 Gbit service. I have verified this with my service many times. I can hardwire my i7 laptop with a built in 1 Gbit Ethernet port and I will test 940 Mbit with my SIP, around 880 Mbit on speedtest.net and 940 Mbit on dslreports.com speedtest.  The built in speed test will max out at about 450 Mbit or so.

Yes I'm using a gigabit adapter but when plugged in directly to the modem, I'm getting 800+mpbs on speedtest.net. As suggested by some to reset my modem and set it up from scratch disabling the speedtest, access control, and traffic meter....I set it up from scratch but I did not come across any options to "disable" the speedtest feature, access control, and the traffic app. I went through the set-up using the Orbi app. Did I miss something somewhere?  After my set-up I hard-wired my surface pro 4 to the Orbi router and am getting about 450mbps so its still half of what I should be getting. 

Message 7 of 14
bd81
Tutor

You will find those features if you go to www.orbilogin.net in your browser and use admin for user name and whatever password you picked.  It should be all under Advanced tab. I never use the app for network setup, it is dumbed down and missing a lot of options.

Message 8 of 14
RegDawg
Apprentice

@bd81 wrote:

You will find those features if you go to www.orbilogin.net in your browser and use admin for user name and whatever password you picked.  It should be all under Advanced tab. I never use the app for network setup, it is dumbed down and missing a lot of options.

Thanks for that. Well I logged in and access control is disabled, traffic meter is disabled, but could not find how to disable the speedtest option. I hard-wired my surface pro 4 to the orbi router and roughly getting 550-600mbps. Just to test, I did a speedtest on my desktop which is hard-wired to the satellite and I'm roughly getting 600+mpbs.

So just to summarize:

• Surface Pro 4 hardwired to modem - 800+mbps
  • Surface Pro 4 hardwired to Orbi Router - roughly 550-600mbps
  • Desktop hardwired to Orbi Satellite - roughly 600+mbps

I'm not sure what to think at this point. Any other things I can check? 

Message 9 of 14
GadgetVirtuoso2
Apprentice

@RegDawg wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@RegDawg wrote:

I set up from scratch but no where did I see where I could disable the speed test,  access control, and traffic meter. Or was I supposed to do that? During the set-up I started out in the app then it lead me to the webpage to finish the set-up. Anyways I hard-wired my microsoft surface 4 to the orbi router and I'm only getting roughly 250mbps. Did I miss something?

I have seen several people that keep saying this but I was curious to see if it was actually true. I connected my MBP using the USB-C gigabit ethernet adapter and a CAT7 cable directly to the Orbi router and the AT&T router. I ran a lot of speed tests within Chrome and the Speedtest.net Mac app and all the speed tests were nearly the same regardless of which device I was connected.

I did find the speed test in the iOS App 2.2.0.57 to be completely inaccurate. Speed tests using the Speedtest.net iOS app are consistantly where they should be for an 802.11AC 5GHz connection and similar to what I had with my Airport Extreme and iPhone X previously.

Message 10 of 14
st_shaw
Master

@RegDawg wrote:

Run the speed test at dslreports.com and report the results. I've found that my Orbi needs multiple streams to achieve gigabit speed.  A single stream test will cap out about 500 Mbps. Dslreports uses a multi-stream test.

Also, if your "modem" is also doing routing, that could slow you down if you are also running Orbi in router mode.

Message 11 of 14
bd81
Tutor

AFAIK there is nothing to disable regarding the speed test. Just make sure QOS is off also.

Message 12 of 14
petemak
Aspirant

I have the same problem.. sometimes I get 600-700 but mostly in the 500-600 range and I have two satellites HARWIRED and speeds aren’t as fast as the router.. I tried my charter router and get around 900 so there is something going on with Orbi not getting 1 gig even though they say it is capable of it.. I used the same Ethernet when testing my charter router to make sure it is not a bad Ethernet
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? If it has a built in router:

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@petemak wrote:
I have the same problem.. sometimes I get 600-700 but mostly in the 500-600 range and I have two satellites HARWIRED and speeds aren’t as fast as the router.. I tried my charter router and get around 900 so there is something going on with Orbi not getting 1 gig even though they say it is capable of it.. I used the same Ethernet when testing my charter router to make sure it is not a bad Ethernet

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7