× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Interface Logging

Wamphyri
Aspirant

Orbi Interface Logging

Hi, 

I'm having an issue with connection stability between my Orbi and my Vodafone Modem.  I was wondering if there was any interface level logging that can be enabled on the WAN port of the orbi?  There are obviously stats recorded but is there anyway to get at logging for this port to see whats going on?

Its an issue that has started recently with no (apparent) changes to the environment.  the normal logs don't suggest anything out of the ordinary but i need something a bit more low level.

Cheers

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Check the logs under Advanced tab/Administration to see if anything maybe listed here.

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@Wamphyri wrote:

I was wondering if there was any interface level logging that can be enabled on the WAN port of the orbi? 

Orbi provides methods to collect (log) traffic on the WAN port.  After logging in to the Orbi web interface, change "index.htm" (no quotes) to "debug.htm".  That brings up the Orbi debug screen which offers two methods:  (1) mirror the WAN port to LAN port 1.  Every packet that goes through the WAN port also goes out LAN port 1, where some program (like Wireshark?) could be listening.  (2) check the option "Enable LAN/WAN packet capture."  This offers two places to put the capture: Orbi system memory and a USB stick in the Orbi USB port.  (I have personally only done the capture to system memory.)  Click on Start Capture, and after "enough time, but not too much time" has gone by, Uncheck the Enable box and Save the file to the computer that is attached to the Orbi.  In my case, it's a Windows machine and the file "debug-log.zip" is stored in my Download folder.

The zip file includes: a whole bunch of fun stuff, including capture files suitable for Wireshark (or similar) of the LAN side and the WAN side.

Is this what you are looking for?

Message 3 of 9
Wamphyri
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for the response.  Yeah thats great when you say "not too much time" how long is that?  as the issue i have is intermittant it would be good to leave it running until it happens and then look at the interface logs so it would be great if the file auto rolled over then i can just look at the one(s) nearest the incidents.  I can stick a 1TB drive on there to make sure i don't have to worry about space too.

thanks for the assist.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@Wamphyri wrote:

Thanks for the response.  Yeah thats great when you say "not too much time" how long is that?

Honestly, I have no idea how quickly the debug file grows, or even where it is stored.  "System memory" might mean "memory" of which my Orbi has 495MB and is using 137MB.  Or, it could be "flash memory", of which my Orbi has 4096MB and is using 2945MB.  When I did a couple of minutes, the zip file was just under 2MB.

I will look around for a USB drive and see what happens when I select writing to that.  (Hmmmm.  There is an enduring complaint that Netgear's "Readyshare" was promised for the USB port, but has never materialized.  That's probably different from a debug process.  Will be interesting to see what happens.)

Message 5 of 9
Wamphyri
Aspirant

Hi, Apologies I just realised I missed a comma in the "Yeah thats great, when you say "not too much time" how long is that?" which slightly changes the tone of the sentance (I didn't mean to appear rude, I'm genuinely thnakful for your response 🙂 )

I'll give it all a go tonight when I can have time to play around with it.  (and mostl likely suffer another incident) 

Thanks Again.  Really appreciated

Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, THAT was interesting. Only the LAN and WAN captures went on the USB drive.  The rest of the debug info got downloaded to my computer without the WAN and LAN captures.

I had another thought.  The "Traffic Meter" (such as it is), shows an average days traffic for me to be between 3GB and 6GB.  So, a decent size USB drive will easily hold hours and hours of traffic.  Parsing it with Wireshark... now that's another matter entirely!

Message 7 of 9
Wamphyri
Aspirant

Turns out it doen't like my 1 tb Drive 😞 i've now dug a bit deeper and noticed that the disconnects last between 4:52 and 4:59 in length which is clearly an interface reset time a it requires no interaction form me for resolution..  as i have a telnet connection now i'm trying to find the logs from that.

Message 8 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Wow.  A 1TB USB stick!  I don't think Orbi likes USB "drives".

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7