Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi LBR20 and Starlink

curiosity175
Tutor

Orbi LBR20 and Starlink

Hello - has anyone tried connecting Starlink to Orbi LBR20 while also using a SIM card?  We just received our Starlink gear and have ordered an Ethernet connector for the Starlink router.  I'd really like to be able to have *one* router providing bandwidth to our premise, no matter where the bandwidth comes from...Looking for any suggestions, gotchas or tips.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi LBR20 and Starlink

the LBR20 can be setup with automatic failover. Meaning it can be set to use a wired connection and "failover" to the data connection if the wired connection goes down. so yes, you can connect another device to it. Page 21 in the manual goes over it. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/lbr20

Message 2 of 4
curiosity175
Tutor

Hi plemans, and thanks for the response.  I'll recheck the manual.  

Unfortunately, in our location we have cellular service that is iffy, and expect the same with Starlink as there will be obstructions.  There is no wired service.

I'm not really looking for failover service, as I suspect it would degrade the network even further if it takes more than a couple milliseconds to switch networks.  It would be switching all the time.

What I wish for is a router where both network providers could be active at the same time, with QoS logic in the router to pick the network that is more responsive and serving more data.  

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Your not looking for failover, you're looking for load balancing. Not an option on these devices. 

You'd need to look at business grade products for that. (google dual wan load balancing router)

Do you already have the lbr20?

If so, you might try it with failover and see how it works before investing in a more expensive router

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7