× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Lan connection issues

joshuap
Aspirant

Orbi Lan connection issues

Hi!

My orbi system (RBR50 with 2 RBS50) has been great, it provides strong and reliable wifi everywhere but recently a major bug has been troubling me. The system will randomly drop LAN communication between segments. Example: devices connected to Satellite 1 (both wired/wireless) won't be able to ping devices on Satellite 2 (or vice versa) or sometimes devices on Satellite 2 won't be able to ping devices the Router and vice versa.

I have tried all suggestions, factory resetting, disabling armour and circle, setting ip reservations for all devices, setting a wifi channel and loading voxel firmware. So far loading voxel firmware has decreased this problem significantly but it is still there.

This issue will happen at random but if I put stress on the network, such as streaming from a camera, the lan will break down. When this happens everything usually recovers within a minute unlike when it happens randomly. (such as in the middle of the night) This is very frustrating due to my use of many IOT devices that rely on talking to my server.
A guaranteed way of recovering the network is restarting a or all satellite(s).

Does anybody know of a solution or some recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 28
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi Lan connection issues

Have you tried disabling one of the satellites? maybe its an issue with a specific satellite.

Are your satellites hardwired in or using the wireless backhaul?

Any switches connected? (if so, what models)

What gateway is the router connected to?

Message 2 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Is Armor or Circle enabled on the RBR?

@joshuap wrote:

Hi!

My orbi system (RBR50 with 2 RBS50) has been great, it provides strong and reliable wifi everywhere but recently a major bug has been troubling me. The system will randomly drop LAN communication between segments. Example: devices connected to Satellite 1 (both wired/wireless) won't be able to ping devices on Satellite 2 (or vice versa) or sometimes devices on Satellite 2 won't be able to ping devices the Router and vice versa.

I have tried all suggestions, factory resetting, disabling armour and circle, setting ip reservations for all devices, setting a wifi channel and loading voxel firmware. So far loading voxel firmware has decreased this problem significantly but it is still there.

This issue will happen at random but if I put stress on the network, such as streaming from a camera, the lan will break down. When this happens everything usually recovers within a minute unlike when it happens randomly. (such as in the middle of the night) This is very frustrating due to my use of many IOT devices that rely on talking to my server.
A guaranteed way of recovering the network is restarting a or all satellite(s).

Does anybody know of a solution or some recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Message 3 of 28
joshuap
Aspirant

Thanks for the response
Currently version V9.2.5.2.13SF-HW of voxel is loaded since i have found it to work best.

The satellites are ~10m and 15m away from the main base. They get good backhaul signal.

The house is around 221 meters^2 With brick walls that like to block wifi signal in some areas, and thats why we got orbi.

Both armour and circle are disabled

Hope you can help!

Message 4 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to refer here for help and info since you have Voxels FW loaded:

https://www.snbforums.com/forums/netgear-ac-wireless.53/

Thank you. 

Message 5 of 28
joshuap
Aspirant

Will do. However, i do still think it should be discussed here as it happens on stock netgear firmware as well. This was the reason i tried installing voxel. When I installed voxel it helped a lot, but the issue is still there.

Message 6 of 28
joshuap
Aspirant

> Maybe its an issue with a specific satellite.

It happens on both of them. More so for the devices in between the router and one of the satellites. A reboot of the satillite fixes it.

> Are your satellites hardwired in or using the wireless backhaul?

Wireless backhaul. I cannot wire them.

> Any switches connected?

Netgear unmanaged GS308. This shouldnt effect the orbi due to being unmanaged.

> What gateway is the router connected to?

Just a NBN Arris box for internet. This would not effect the orbis routing capability.

Message 7 of 28
plemans
Guru

What arris box is it? 

Brick walls are great for creating instabilities between router/satellites. 

have you tried using powerline or moca adapters to hardwire in the satellites?

Message 8 of 28
joshuap
Aspirant

Hi,

The arris box has a model number of "CM8200" It really shouldnt be doing anything as its just a cable modem.

I agree that brick walls can cause instability, and that could be the issue, But due to them having a good backhaul signal i don’t think that’s the issue. I also believe this because it only happens to some devices, and not all of them at the same time which makes me to think its something else. Other then this, the system is great.
No I have not tried powerline ethernet.

Thanks for replying.

Message 9 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I would turn off all RBS and all wired and wireless devices. Maybe change the SSID name to something different temporarily. Then test with just the RBR alone with a wired PC. I'd check some pings between the PC and RBR. Check pings between the PC with the ISP Modem alone with out the RBR. Then add a RBS and check pings at the RBR again. Add any additional RBS while checking pings. Check stability. Change the SSID name back to what you had it at. Check stability again. Then add a wired device and check stability. Might see if you notice anything while graduating adding devices. 

Message 10 of 28
joshuap
Aspirant

I have noticed when doing all of this is removing all my reserved IPs, except for some that’s needed, *seems* to have solved it. Such a strange issue as i thought reserved ips help the routers stability. Any ideas? Possibly a syncing issue between the satillites? I have resynced the satillites many times though.

Message 11 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Possbible conflict in reserved IPs vs dynamic maybe? You might start adding a IP address reservervation, one at a time, and see if the problem reappears. Be sure you reboot your devices after you apply the reservation on the RBR and the RBR gets rebooted as well. 

I recommend setting a IP address reservation on the RBS as well. First thing I do when I set up a Orbi system. 

Message 12 of 28
joshuap
Aspirant

> I recommend setting a IP address reservation on the RBS as well. First thing I do when I set up a Orbi system. 

Yup, same here.

> Possible conflict in reserved IPs vs dynamic maybe?

When i pinged the device from my PC (on a seperate sattilite) i got "request timed out" indicating it wasn't taken by another device. When i moved to the router i got pings back. Intresting.

I also have set my DCHP range to start at 100 so there shouldnt be any conflicts. I tried removing some of my devices from the reserved list, and setting them statically on device instead, out of DCHP range, which is what seemed to have helped. Its a stange issue.

Message 13 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, seems like a odd one...

Might update FW and see if anything changes. Not sure if it will.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBK50-53-Series-Firmware-Version-2-7-3-22/m-p/2113656/high...

Message 14 of 28
joshuap
Aspirant

Alright. I have caught it in action.  I have 2 satellites and 1 router, the upstairs satellite and the downstairs satellite. 

Troublesome device: Switchs from Upstairs satellite to the main orbi router. Now downstairs satellite cannot ping or access the device.

Now here's the strange part. I reboot the upstairs satellite, everything recovers.

:scratches head:

Message 15 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

"Switchs"?

This a LAN switch? If so, What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

Message 16 of 28
joshuap
Aspirant

No no, as in the device moved it’s wifi connection from the “upstairs” satellite to the main router. I could see the device changing the connected access point bssid in its logs right before it couldn’t communicate with devices on the “downstairs” satellite.

As I said before, a reboot of the “upstairs” satellite fixes it, which I find strange.
Message 17 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

What is this device? 

Message 18 of 28
joshuap
Aspirant

esp8266 running Tasmota but it can be any device like an iPad.
Message 19 of 28
joshuap
Aspirant

Are there any 'recommended' settings for the orbi? All possible i could have a setting off that's supposed to be on.  I have a screenshot attached.

Message 20 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I would uncheck the 20/40Mhz Coexistence box, check enable Beamforming and MIMO as well. Apply the change and after that, I'd reboot the RBR and RBS. 

Message 21 of 28
joshuap
Aspirant

Unfortunately changing those settings had a negative effect, it made the network break down more often throughout the day.

Onto another idea I suppose, but we are running out of those.
Message 22 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 23 of 28
joshuap
Aspirant

But the release notes don’t say anything about fixing this issue? It’s just the dns thing
Message 24 of 28
joshuap
Aspirant

Update - Changing the RTS/CTS to 500 has greatly improved everything. Once I have done that everything has been rock solid.

However, after I added ~40 ip reservations the network broke down. I removed most of them but kept 17 and the network has gone back to being rock solid (so far)

I will start slowly adding reservations to see what the limit is, it’s quite a strange issue.

When the devices IP is set on the device itself, out of the dchp range, the network is still stable. I have tested this with ~20 devices and the network is stable, it’s just when I add those reservations on the router itself.

I wonder if I should try using adguard home as my dchp server. What do you think?

I will continue investigating.
Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7